Full optimization of you character

Discussion in 'Other' started by Madmarlon, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought about, besides the normal optimization of your character, like clothes, hair color and stuff,

there would be an extra button, for pixel-by-pixel drawing of your character! Of course there would be limitations, like size and, you would have to at least try, to make him look human, so he can wear armor without looking glitchy!
    Maybe, you would have to set points, where weapons would be held! I could also imagine this option to be something unlockable, so you would have to beat the last endboss to unlock this for you new characters!

So, what do you think of this?

2. Asmodheus

Asmodheus Aquatic Astronaut

Here is how it should look :
    You are given a human-like form to draw on.You choose colors and draw.Setting points where weapons are held is just glitchy and annoying.

CrateMuncher and Madmarlon like this.
  3. Madmarlon

This was my second thought! A pre-set shape, you would have to draw in, would be nice too!

4. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

That.. will be missed used horribly

Madmarlon likes this.
  5. Madmarlon

I can imagine the Penises funny shapes already! xD

Chickenlord likes this.
  6. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

Having a kind of canvas character you can paint yourself is an awesome idea. Having that level of customisation at least being available would be brilliant. As far as abuse goes I'm sure most people will just play with their friends, making it a less serious issue. But maybe you can choose to "mask" a player's skin online, kinda like muting someone in other games I guess? Basically allowing you to set someones skin to a default if you find it offensive.

7. Madmarlon

That is what I'm saying. It's an available option! Of course, not everyone would have to use it!

Good idea. But the skins are in Pixel-Graphic. The level of "abuse" can't be that high, if you got only 30x20 Pixels to work with!

8. Marsgreekgod

YOU HAVE NO IDEA. there would be... well things that I can't say with out breaking the forum rules, but lets say it's worse then you think

Also it would be hard to make it with the how many sprites people have

9. Chickenlord

Yeah, that's actually true, haha. What damage they do probably won't be all that noticable, especially if it's restricted to a particular "frame", so that no... erm... elongated shapes can be created :p

Madmarlon likes this.
  10. Madmarlon

That's well spoken! xD

11. Marsgreekgod

You can play as a girl

Also don't forgot, theres worse things then just the perverse, I mean there would people with all manner of offensive symbols

12. Madmarlon

Hey, I just noticed a mistyping on the headline of this thread. Anybody knows how to edit that?

13. Chickenlord

That's a good point... I suppose the option I mentioned above of being able to toggle people's custom skins if they're a little unscrupulous would be a decent compromise, but then again one could simply build offensive symbols in games with building mechanics, so really I think not adding features people would like simply because of a rude minority would be silly.

14. Marsgreekgod

Ok I'll make the other argments then:

A) It doesn't mess well with the amount of gear planed in htis game

:cool: Think about how many things you need to sprite in this game, and how it would work coding wise, I bet it's hard

I like the idea, but it is just doesn't seem practical for a few reasons

15. Chickenlord

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree it would probably be difficult, if not impossible, to implement in a way that wouldn't be messy. I just think it would be a cool option to have. Just entertaining the thought really :)

Although I'm sure, in response to point A, that if you stuck to a template silhouette the gear proooobably wouldn't be as much of an issue, but you have a good point. The player would most likely end up having to change every frame of animation for this to work I'd imagine, so the idea would be too cumbersome.

16. Asmodheus

Asmodheus Aquatic Astronaut

You'd have to draw the whole human form :zzz:.So the animations actually work.
    About people drawing stuff....THEY'RE PIXELS.....wow....some people can't even know.Try to check what you are going to post about....

17. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Yeah they'd have to to it sort of like 3D Dot Game Heroes, where you need to make a customization for every frame of the character's animation. It's actually less clunky than it sounds, the only problem is getting your fancy custom t-shirt design pixel-perfect across all the frames. This problem is solved in this thread though by the use of pre-defined models to draw on! I'm all for this idea, infinite characters ftw!!

Also, the ability to do a similar sort of thing to your armor would be key, so you don't lose your uniqueness when you put on tier 1 junk armor! Perhaps an additional crafting station that allows you to customize the look of your gear, that way different outfits can have different unique designs :D

18. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

This could be done with a char generator right?
    Have a base body type/shape.
    Use predefined items to put on the character.
    IE: You choose the hair style it gets put on next you choose the color it changes to that. (Somewhat like terraria but it could be more advanced if there were other species one could play as.)
    Same could be done with eye type / mouth type etc.

Body size would be determined by the body base. (To allow for short/tall/skinny/fat character possibilities.)

19. tps_SurvivoR

tps_SurvivoR Master Chief

that would be hard to do, and like Asmodheus said. you would have to draw all the animations again. pixel by pixel

20. DarthNihilus

DarthNihilus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't want photoshop included into the game.