1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen Fire?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ticktockclock, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ticktockclock

ticktockclock Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone! I am a budding editor of many things in starbound and while digging around in the assets to make a fire weapon, I discovered a frozen fire texture, then a frozen fire chair. This peaked my curiosity so i went to the wiki to check things out. To my surprise, the only thing there was the chair, it said it came from a mini biome, but when i went to that page, it was nowhere to be found. Anyone wanna clue me in on this mysterious frozen fire biome? Me being a novakid, I'm veeeeery interested if there are other pieces of furniture.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It really isn't too surprising. The wiki is community maintained and not mechanically updated - so pages exist only when some one makes one, Also certain assets are not in the game and simply in the assets package. So it may simply be a biome under development.

3. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

I'm pretty sure it is a removed mini biome that was on.. snow planets? It had an ice crown, a fire crown too I think.. stuff like that

I don't really get why they remove added biomes to be honest.. I can understand that they probably rework them or make them better or something, but if they don't have a finished biome, why remove it in the first place?
    I never got the chance to get the nice items from treasure room underground biome for example

4. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

confident. because it was finished, and then the updates to other parts of the game meant it needed to be redone. you'd be surprised how often fixing something in a program breaks other things.

Faeryheart likes this.
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I imagine testing out the new biome/planet distribution that came with the Giraffe build had a lot to do with it too. By reducing the number of variables, they can better test the basic functionality of "biome types X and Y should only appear on planet type Z".

Then they can add the older biomes in later... with more TO them, as most of the now-missing biomes were kind of empty. And since there's a few quintillion planets in the game universe, it's not like they have to worry about running out of room to implement new or revamped old biomes.

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  6. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

The Hive biome stuff looks very interesting too. I wonder when they'll work on that more..

7. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Might be just refactoring. In any case, already developed ideas are bound to end up in the game earlier or later, although there's no guarantee the assets won't be changed beforehand.

8. ticktockclock

ticktockclock Void-Bound Voyager

it looks like there were also things like torches planned, ill be using the texture for more spells but i do wish there was more to work with

9. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

This might come back one day in a somewhat different form. But it is indeed from a minibiome we've removed for the time being.

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I mean, when they removed the largely empty and largely pointless Sandstone Biome, they turned around and put the handful of decor prizes from it into some really nicely-made microdungeons on the Desert worlds, which was pretty sweet.

At this point I expect a fairly decent amount of the "unused" assets will see life again at a later date, in more comprehensive updates, be they pre- or post-1.0.