1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.0

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. dronger

dronger Space Hobo

Having to get a lot of fuel was never the issue. The issue is that for as long as the max jump cost exceeds your ship's fuel bay size, it will be virtually impossible to travel legitimately long distances, because the numbers involved become quite literally astronomical. Whether my math was off by a factor of 3.14 or not hardly matters—in fact, it just means the time estimate was far too low. The point is that unless you have a large enough fuel bay to meet the jump cost cap, it's for all intents and purposes impossible to travel to distant parts of the galaxy. You could have a bottomless stockpile of fuel and it wouldn't help you, because you can't fit it all in your tank at once, and it would take months or years of actual real time to travel there by frog-leaping.

Because all of Starbound's universe is functionally the same, there's no meaningful gameplay to be gained from restricting the player to a small area like this. All this accomplishes is (i) effectively prevents players from warping their ships to the same system their friends are in, and (ii) effectively prevents players from sharing and using coordinates to interesting planets on community websites, as travelling to those coordinates would more likely than not take a very long time.

I haven't played Frackin' Universe enough to know if there are some crew members or endgame items that increases your fuel bay size beyond 3000, or increase your fuel efficiency sufficiently to drive the maximum cost below your tank size (or some combination of the two). However, because the universe is functionally the same no matter where you go, I don't see any gameplay reason to restrict players from travelling wherever they want right off the bat provided they just have sufficient fuel.

If you want fuel costs to be higher, then the fuel tank size should also be higher so that players could actually use all the fuel they have. I don't really see much gameplay purpose for restricting the fuel bay size in the first place, although I guess having to move fuel from a stockpile into the actual tank may serve some immersion purpose. With the stock 1000 fuel bay, however, capping the cost at 3000 makes no sense.

TL;DR: Rather than serving to increase player fuel consumption, the current system just restricts the player to mainly exploring the stars in the immediate vicinity of their starting location, regardless of how much fuel they have.

2. Thom Blair III

Thom Blair III Void-Bound Voyager

Idk but I was just playing in the Atropus Sea and thought a neat subbiome or new biome might be a LOL biome (with humorous ambient dialogue, instead of horror dialogue.) You could even have a LOLCODE cyber world, with LOLCODed critters. Just a fun thought, along the lines of the candy and Christmas subbiomes. :)

3. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

dont even worry about that. this is coming soon:

http://sayterdarkwynd.github.io/races3.html

Uh...yea...thats how it works. I can't drive my car further than the gas within will allow.

Sure, until you equip yourself with the necessary gear and crew to increase your ships potential. Still not seeing your position here.

and the point of FU is to explore, not skip planets. MP is also not important to me in design decisions. I design for SP, not MP. The point is to give the idea that your ship *can't* cross the entire goddamned universe on one tank of fuel because bloody stupid and makes no sense whatsoever regardless of how you want to look at it. Your final point about restricting players around their starting location: yes. That is by design in relation to the previous sentence.

However, I have no objection whatsoever to increasing maximum fuel tank size at game start.

spiraluna, dualinfinities and Asterio like this.
  4. Sire Nukerre

Sire Nukerre Big Damn Hero

If only one can swap out the Warp Drive of the Ship to a super-long distance one. It uses fuel that is expensive to make and is unable to warp to nearby stars but it would be a thousandfold cheaper to travel to the edge of the universe than planet-hopping.

Or a Probability Warp Drive, it uses random amounts of fuel to warp you to a random point in the universe and may or may not turn you or your ship and everything in it into random things.

greenwiz29 and Arti78 like this.
  5. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Well, github build is now testing some revisions to fuel. Basically, increased tank size to 10k. we'll see what happens from there.

you can also now purchase crew at the science outpost

LaughingAlex and Zlyvr like this.
  6. Asterio

Asterio Void-Bound Voyager

Right now so many star systems in range of 1k fuel even don't need to go on another side of the universe:)

Need to create a universe generation mod to making it more a real like
    1) resize stars and planets (inject some scale)
    2) reduce the density of star systems (too many of them)
    3) reduce the number of planets (as stars and all are inhabited :sarcasm:)

7. dualinfinities

dualinfinities Pangalactic Porcupine

...yeeeeah, um. that's taking it a little too far. the thing is, concessions need to be made to make games fun. let me just ask you, if realism is THAT much fun, why are you playing this game/mod, instead of going out into the OBVIOUSLY MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE (/s) real world? it's b/c 100% realism is not fun, in fact it is very UN-fun for most people.

8. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I'm starting to think that the worms are among the worst things to happen to Frackin Universe now. I have a few reasons: Block destruction and blocking of setting bases on numerous planets.

1: No safe place to settle a base on planets with meteors. Worms damage terrain like meteors, but unlike planets without meteors, your forced to settle underground with them. This causes them to be more then likely to endlessly and infinitely damage and destroy blacks holding everything in place.
    2: They destroy blocks all the time in places where you cannot get to them in time very often and spawn everywhere. They are to common.
    3: Some worms are tanks and take reduced damage from all sources and take a million hits to kill. These are not fun to fight.

After landing on an irradiated planet and finding worms on it, after wanting to make an irradiated base to take advantage of atmospheric condensors, enough is enough. I wouldn't mind them being able to move through terrain without damaging it(like worms in terraria) but letting them damage terrain makes them more destructive than creeper. Even creepers in minecraft could be prevented from damaging blocks and the things you build as they only tried to blow YOU up. There is no stopping a worm from doing the same in Frackin Universe as he destroys every block he touches. It makes it impossible to set down on planets with meteors as if you settle on the surface, sooner or later some giant meteor will destroy your stuff. Settle below ground and a randomly spawning worm destroys your stuff.

Meteors had a counter in simply keeping a lot of tough solid blocks above everything. But worms are broken.

Worms are game breakers. There-is-no-counter-to-them. Even if you can kill them fast they will sooner or later spawn near something of yours and wreck it before you know they are there or before you can react in time.

Some ideas:

Keep them from damaging blocks period.

Or make it so player placed stuff cannot be damaged, or materials and doors which worms cannot pass through. Honestly some crafted materials should be able to withstand meteors to come to think of it, I still don't recall if there are any yet.

Toa_Derax and rylasasin like this.
  9. Asterio

Asterio Void-Bound Voyager

Who talking about "muh realism"?
    Even if someone will try make 100% real like universe... he fail -> good exemple why
    I'm talking about mod which someone perhaps will install to feel like an explorer who looking for life... insted of searching a quiet place away from it :)

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

damage blocks = here to stay. I don't have any plans to change this mechanic.

Solution: Don't build on worlds where burrowers will fuck up your base without a defense system in place. Turrets, motion sensors.... pretty straightforward.

I'm aware that some of them are hard. That's kinda the point. If you opt to build on a hostile world, you take the risk of hostile lifeforms. Fine tuning is still to be done, and currently we are revising some bits to make them a bit more appropriately spawned. This should keep Atropus-themed worms to Atropus, and so on, to prevent things like Dire Worms appearing on a Forest biome. That's the real crux of the issue: worms spawning out-of-tier.

11. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

The whole worm issue for me is seemingly how easily they work through most block materials. Seen them devastate dungeons built with titanium and durasteel blocks.

Don't mind that they can work through any block, though it'd be nice if there were some super tough materials that either they weren't able to penetrate or takes so long that it discourages them so they move onto other ores (path of least resistance and all).

Don't mind that your bases can be attacked but at the very least it'd be nice if they didn't totally decimate dungeons. Some of the time I arrive and they've already destroyed half the facility.

12. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Also, lava moat seems to be the only thing that'll keep them at bay. Just requires a lot of patching and refilling.

Erzoid likes this.
  13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay, now that's cheap.

NPCs with Guided Missile launchers are just ridiculous. I just entered a dungeon on a t3 snowy planet, while wearing Battle Totem Gear (because I need some Cold Resistance).

Fought several NPCs who did very reasonable damage, and then suddenly, as soon as I open a door, I'm dead 2 seconds later from 80% health because of this cheap NPC with a big red missile launcher that fires endless guided rockets. Came back, and tried to use the wall/Line of Sight to my advantage... nope. BARELY had enough time to type /admin after spamming 2-3 bandages one right after another JUST to stay alive. Rockets were seeking me with 90 degree turns after I ducked behind cover.

The NPC never stops shooting either. Never runs out of energy, just keeps shooting volley after volley after volley.

EDIT: That's even more cheap. Jumped down a few platforms, *BOOM* Dead from full health in about 2 seconds flat from a huge barrage of blue lasers, some NPC with this HUGE black gun with blue lights. Didn't even have time to react.

Can we please stop giving endgame FU weapons to low tier NPCs? This is getting old.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  14. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

If it's the guy at the footbridge, is there some condition you need to meet in order to get crew? The list comes up blank for me.

Also as an aside, love the design of the stall.

15. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

On a gas giant, are you meant to be able to collect liquid metallic hydrogen or metallic hydrogen? Getting extraction sounds like it's a liquid but receiving the component rather than a liquid/gas that I was expecting based on the feedback,

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Gasses are considered to be liquids in the game engine. The Engine has no code for gasses, so Sayter emulates them by making liquids that are thin as air, but he can't change the fact the game treats it as a liquid as far as collection goes.

Erzoid likes this.
  17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

yea, i thought i fixed that one already. I'll double check that it wasnt and older spawn

edit: looks like the spawns *should* be clear of that now. not seeing any super-weapon references , not even the atom smasher :)

Xylia likes this.
  18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Thanks! I /admin'd my way through that dungeon but it's nice to know that things will be more reasonable for future ones hehe.

19. dronger

dronger Space Hobo

Your car also isn't a fictitious space ship capable of FTL travel so there's that.

The point is that as far as I can tell it's impossible to make your fuel tank big enough to meet the 3000 fuel cap. For as long as it remains like that, the amount of fuel you have is completely irrelevant because your travel is limited by tedium, not resources. And the tedium is quite literally astronomical; no one is going to do a jump measuring even in the hundreds of thousands of units, because it would take hours of constant jumping to do so. And the size of the Starbound universe is measured not in hundreds of thousands of units, but in billions of units.

This isn't about skipping planets. You can find basically all the content the game has to offer within a 1000-fuel range of your starting location. You're not making the ship unable to cross the entire universe on one tank of gas; you're making it unable to cross the entire universe period, but you're not doing it by limiting players at the fuel supply, you're doing it by limiting them on time and tedium. That, if something, is bloody stupid and makes no sense whatsoever. The entire Starbound universe is full of the same shit anyway, so it's not like players gain any measurable in-game advantage from being able to jump across the universe if they want to. They'll just find more of the exact same type of stars and planets that existed around their spawn.

Because of this, it's not like being unable to access 99.99% of the actual game map removes any meaningful gameplay as far as SP is concerned. Like I said, every type of planet can generally be found within 1000 fuel of your starting location. However, it also doesn't add anything to the game at all, and it restricts MP gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay, you say it makes no sense that your ship can travel anywhere in the universe with one tank of fuel. There's this mechanic where if you put a flag down on a planet, you can teleport your character to that flag from your ship's teleporter for free no matter how far away it happens to be. What's more, if you're in MP and invite someone into a party, you can teleport directly to their location at no cost even if they're underground or in an instance area! Now that's unrealistic! Why not make teleporters consume astronomical amounts of fuel, too? Maybe make it so that the teleporter can only hold, say, 50 Unobtainium crystals, but travelling further than, say, 5 planets over requires more fuel than that. This way if you want to go to your mining planet from your agricultural planet, you'll have to set up a couple of dozen of intermediate bases with teleporter pads on them stocked full of fuel.

If you want travelling to actually be meaningful, you'll have to overhaul how the universe generation works. For instance, stars could appear in small clusters of a dozen or so stars, and travelling in-cluster would use some common fuel (or no FTL fuel at all). Other clusters would then be some distance away, and jumping from one cluster to another would require a significant investment of some sort of relatively rare fuel. However, with the way the universe is currently designed, travel is just such a meaningless chore that making it "harder" by making it consume ridicilous amounts of fuel and time is bloody stupid.

20. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

See I get that, though then Shadow Gas is a liquid as well as Helium-3, hence, was expecting a liquid/block item and not a component, so hence the question. So basically it's as intended then. Ok.