1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.0

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Gotcha. They're pretty baseline ones, though - mainly, removing the output capacities on batteries {or at least cranking them up to be irrelevant} on account of micromanagement and swapping out water in alternators for hydrogen because burning water for fuel what {and also their economics make them superior to any other power generator}.

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

alternators are pieces of shit, and the absolute worse generator, hands down. Solar wins for "free" power until late game. Nothing beats a quantum, period. Economics verifies this, as one unit of Elder Fluid can provide more fuel than ANY other generator, for a much longer time per unit.

3. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Sorry, I meant the economics of manufacturing. They're basically the Zerglings of power generators - since they only require copper and iron to manufacture, and water is in plentiful supply, it's trivial to just churn out a large array of alternators to fulfill any power requirement you need at a trivial cost. Hook up a router to a chest full of water {ocean planets are plentiful and pumps equally cheap}, and you can run them 24/7 at next to no maintenance. Solar panels are fuel-free, but they only work in sunlight, which means that if you want to use them half the time {at most}, you need to invest in batteries. And the resources needed to kick out a Quantum generator far outweigh the cost of another batch of Alternators, if you're willing to sacrifice the space.

Just my experience, anyway. Any thoughts of the battery voltage outputs, BTW?

4. Narfkopp

Narfkopp Phantasmal Quasar

You can just place a bright light source (ship lights, cheap lights, etc...) next to solar generators and you're done. This makes these things so powerful until you get the really freaky generators. I use all other generators merely as unlocks to get quantums.

sayter likes this.
  5. adaxe

adaxe Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have poison shield augment but still get poisoned on a gas ball planet. Is it intended?

6. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Suddenly my base is messed up.
    upload_2017-3-27_19-1-43.png
    Those horizontal beams are plasteel beams. They used to be properly horizontal all the way, but now suddenly some of them turn ninety degrees. What gives?

I haven't installed any mods other than FU that add new blocks since building the place, so I don't think that's the issue.

Log says nothing, either.

7. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

i added a vertical frame to them as well, as was initially intended. guess they dont play nice in all orientations.

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

well, i wont be planning anything about power just yet. ill have to learn some new lua tricks for that, first. but ill hope to get to it at some point. Just got laid off, so priorities might change.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ack, I'm sorry to hear that @sayter ... I hope you find work soon. Layoffs suck, I remember when my dad kept getting laid off...

10. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Whenever you touch Irradiated stone or soil SAIL will warn you that the planet is irradiated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  11. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

So how fast will you die if you provoke the new gas ball mob?

12. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

Another oversight: I cannot seem to craft the "Nomad" set anywhere or within any reason at least, I grabbed bug shells and for some strange reason I cannot craft it anywhere, even on a character with maxed out crafting stations.

There is another drawback with alternators though; the only way you could feasably fuel even 20 alternators(80 power) is if you were on an ocean planet with about 20 pumps and Item Transfer Devices, which would increasing over-head for the planet whenever your on it(possibly increasing lag). Not to mention it'd take 30 alternators to produce the same power as an elder-fluid powered Quantum Reactor.

I'd rather use solar arrays with ship-lights any day(far, far less space, even factoring in batteries). Not to mention if the planet is windy enough, wind power is out-right king(12 power for only 5 tungsten and same space as a combustion generator? Win.)

I will say this about Solar Towers though: If i recall they only provide like 12-13 power right? They need to provide at least 3 times as much or maybe 20 power, actually a bit more(maybe 24), due to the fact that ship-lights are very difficult to place next to them(unless maybe the new tech block light is bright enough to place behind the Solar tower?) and they are about twice as large as a solar array(unless it was changed recently). I'd also say Fission should be closer to 50 max given it's size compared to the quantum, rather than 40 on ultronium, with 40 power coming from Enriched plutonium being more practical(currently we only get 28, only 24 with regular plutonium). Not to mention protocyte bio fuel is almost worthless to use in a fission reactor when 3 solar arrays will produce more power. Not to mention if wind got tier 2 and 3 equivilents it'd obsolete fission easy as it currently stands.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Use Cheap Lights with background tiles. You just need to FIND a Cheap Light to scan, first. But a Cheap Light is only 1x2 tiles and can be placed on background blocks, and last I checked, the solar generators still work even if there's background blocks behind them. So nothing saying you can't put a row of cheap lights right next to it on both sides, all the way up.

14. LaughingAlex

I'll have to try that sometime, although there is still the space issue with regards to towers being twice as large still, but also using dense alloy(and a lot of it) vs solar arrays giving 6u at a cost of only 15 titanium. I'd have to see if towers were buffed somewhere along the way, I hadn't used them in forever. Kind of for the same reason I used to not use Quantum power in the older days: When I could get 16 power per fission reactor vs 34 for a quantum, but at a much cheaper cost and also with far greater fuel efficiency.

I'd like to clarify while we are on the topic: I don't think nore want fission to be better than quantum again, but wouldn't want fission to be out-performed by wind or solar purely due to fuel issues, which is why I suggest a bump to 50 power w/ Ultronium and 40 w/ Enriched Plutonium(and scale it proportionately for lower fuels like 32 for Plutonium/Enriched Uranium, 28 for uranium or Protocyte Biofuel ect). A quantum would still far out-perform a fission for the different reason that per-slot it still rules: I mean getting 85 power for 1 protocyte wins hands down vs say 7 power per protocyte biofuel(Currently protocyte only gives 4/slot, far to little). A quantum not quite performing as well on mere green or blue bio fuel as a fission on very high end fuels would be ok simply because your still producing that high amount of power(I mean 40-50 is a ton of power when you think about it, although one would expect a player to use at least enriched plutonium or Proto Biofuel) cheaply and with only one item slot.

15. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Oh crap, that sucks. Yeah, prioritize the RL, updates can wait their turn.

@Everyone: Oh, hey, you're right about solar panels and arrays, though for some reason, my power sensor wasn't registering anything until I routed it through a relay. I also vaguely remember something in previous updates about solar panels only working during actual daytime, but I might have misremembered. Either way, that works!

16. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

i never changed its unlock. It has not been adjusted. They appear at the tier 2 armor currently. works perfectly fine. tested on 5 dudes.

17. adaxe

adaxe Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. I cannot swim correctly in strange seas. It is like running normally without any liquid around, and when press space key, instead of swimming up, the character simply jump for once.

2. I was poisoned in strang seas, despite already equiped a poison shield augment.

3. I really wish there is a recipe browser. It took me so much time to figure out what item have been unlocked.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  18. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Personalyl Ive yet to find the EPPS in the game. Ive heard several references to them in this thread, and Ive looked in the Github for awhile. And still nothing.

:/ Maybe Im just blind

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You mean the EPP that you make, the vanilla ones? They're on the Armory IIRC.

20. LaughingAlex

I thought I removed that post after I discovered where it was, my bad :).