1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.22

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Here to agree with the consensus, if you are going to make the elements interesting making them tiered would be a good way to start. I remember when I used to set up campfires to be ok with some of the warmer cold planets. X3

2. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

i like what ixiddron said with this line.
    There are tons of environmental hazards that could be added: Flesh eating bacteria, deadly fungal spores, deadly wind, ionized atmosphere, bioengineered toxins and viruses, quantum anomalies... and with enough technobable you can made up your own hazards, out of phase planets, antimatter planet (if you beam up without protection you and a big chuck of the planet explode), electromagnetic searing, time desynchronized planet (without protection stuff moves very fast and you barely move), something lurks in the dark (for those extremely dark planets, you take damage without proper lighting), dark matter planet, nanobots and grey goo could be an environmental hazard and a new creature for cyberspheres for example, antibodies and environmental hazard for atropus world ... The list can go on forever.
    how hard would it be to put some of these into the game. something like the damage without proper lighting on a dark planet could be exsplained by grues noming on ya.

3. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

the dark thing is already in for Aether shadow taint effect. The rest are things I've done in other ways or out of the scope of modding at present. No biggie though. Suggestions are all decent.

4. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Oh shit.....that looks like a modified Cerberus insignia.....and that's the classic yellow of Cerberus. Coincidence? I hope not.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That's why I rather liked the idea of a gradual onset of conditions, depending on tier and your protection.

Vanilla cold gave you a meter which depleted and you didn't start seeing the effects until it was 30% or less. We could do something similar here. As long as you have *some* protection, you got some time before it starts getting bad (similar to the -armor on Atropus). If it's too hard for the player, they can get better protections, OR eat resistance food for temporary respite.

6. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

yep. if only coding it wasnt a giant pain in the ass:)

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You get what you pay for, etc. *grins teasingly*

But yes, there's also a Cost vs Reward to consider as well.

8. Wartavian

Wartavian Pangalactic Porcupine

Yo, Sayter. With the new update revamping space travel and all, do you have any plans for how to work the new planet types with it?
    Just posting a warning early on...

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm quite sure he knows, and to be honest, from a modding newbie's PoV, it doesn't look like it should change that much with existing assets and mods, though it DOES open lots of doors to more stuff we could add.

Planets and systems SHOULD (should!) work the same, I'd think?

Anyways, @sayter is always on the ball with new updates. He's probably already testing them now or something lol. Would not be surprised.

10. Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth Pangalactic Porcupine

Been wondering where do I find FU collectables at I didn't see them in normal collections menu.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

As the front page says, you need the special collections mod.

12. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

13. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Pretty much that idea but with more levels. For example, let's say the scale is from -10 to 10 where:
    • 0 is a normal lush sort of world,
    • -10 is a ball of ice and liquid nitrogen
    • +10 is a sea of plasma
    It doesn't have to be that sort of scale. It could be Hot/Cold 1-5 or even 1-10. That doesn't matter so much so long as there's more degree of variability than the current 2.

This sort of scale could say allow for some degree of variability with each world type. For example, a Lush world may have a baseline level of 0 but between different Lush worlds perhaps each could vary a little either side. like +/- 1. So you could say start of a lush world that is slightly colder, so it may have more of a chance of have small pockets of colder biomes or a warmer lush world that have a higher chance of more arid, desert like biome pockets. It could certainly at the very least make each game start a little different depending on the starting world you begin on, let alone exploring other planets in the universe.

It's a subtle change but say it's tied into mini biomes having environmental effects idea mentioned previously, then you can start to get a little more variation from planet to planet and perhaps have to find ways to deal with multiple environments. Like you may have the gear and tech to deal with a scorched biome but not for volcanic mountain range spewing out lava and noxious gases further along on that same planet. It might inspire players to find ways to deal with it, avoid it all together or come well prepared for such a situation.

14. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

That's great! In that case, I look forward to the eventual planetary effects update :)

15. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of the insanity causing hallucinations but even on a lower level I think it would be fun to have your character work their way to that level of insanity over time. Perhaps it just starts out as your character having a random emote ticks like randomly blabbering or laughing for no reason, a little at first so you get your first cue that you're starting to be affected to later perhaps npcs glitching into mobs for a moment to full blown hallucinations to even reversed controls as mentioned as well. Though it doesn't have to happen just on insane planets though. You could have your character shiver on cold planets (particularly when idle) or sweat and fan themselves on hot ones. It doesn't have to actually affect your character but I think it'd be a fun little touch.

16. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Quick question, with Talon sprouts being changed to give ice resistance, are there any other quick-healing plants in the game?

17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

nyani trees are a decent one, varan berry as well...there are others. The focus was on changing effects to be better overall and get people going to the medical station since FU adds another upgrade to it on top of vanillas second upgrade.

18. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Jilly Roots still heal 10% and can be found relatively easily.

19. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I have just stated playing 1.0 after taking a long break. If I have already been using FU, will replacing a version form a week or two ago with a modern version make me start a new character, or can I keep using the one I have been using?

20. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time