1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinRaces 5.3

Enables racial abilities for all Vanilla races, and many modded ones too!

1. merzeth

merzeth Yeah, You!

Hi I have a problem when I use light regen enemies can no longer touch me

2. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are currently unable to see any of these abilities in game, while in the character creator all we see is an extended description for the characters although the main races display their abilities. Is there a specific character extension mod you used or perhaps an add-on for the specific races.
    The current races not displaying their abilities are:
    The elithian races
    The Ooze race
    Although the modded avali race are properly displaying their abilities.

3. Shadow20218

Also one minor thing about the Glitch race, this is just a suggestion but all of the other robotic races have radiation and breath protection, and as logic would imply wouldn't the glitch also not require air and be not be effected by radiation. Sorry if this may have been asked before, be we prefer the glitch races robotic appearance as oppose to the other robotic races.

4. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

Actually ions can and do inflict damage on machines, heck currently in Japan they are trying to clean up the Fukushima reactors with robots and are finding the robots are falling appart on the job regularly due to ion radiation ruining the electronics. Glitch were toned down a bit due to being to good at the time, although i think now the energy penalty(the one slowing down there recharge) is a hair to much, although I would rather slower energy recharge over -max energy on glitch, they are robots and I do enjoy using ranged weapons to. Maybe make the time it takes for them to start recharging again a hair faster, between what it is now and where other races are? It's a subtle thing that adds up but I feel.

Edit: Another note, I just thought of this, but i notice glitch npc's use bows far, far more than floran npc's(who tend to use guns, and use them way more than other races). It's a thought, anyways.

Shadow20218 likes this.
  5. Shadow20218

True, but then what of the trink and droden races which have all radiation protection and breath protection, this means the societies are advanced enough to have progressed beyond current technologies, so why couldn't they have radiation and/or breath protection.You do bring up very valid points but consider,the lore states humans had used rocket power space shuttles hundreds of years ago, or at least long enough that even the writer had trouble remembering this, meaning that the entirety of starbound is set much further in the future. And thank you, that really got us thinking about the time frame of the whole of starbound, making us want to embrace an even more futuristic and scientific building and playing style. Also, this is just a suggestion to improve the glitch as opposed to the other robotic races not change the feel of how they are under this mod. No ill intent or malicious tones, we just intend to ask Sayter for his opinion on our request.

6. LaughingAlex

You also have to be careful about balance though to. For a while Glitch were the go-to race due to oxygen protection enabling them to go straight to moons and gathering fuel immedietly, and in those days they had both 14% more health AND an inherent 10 point constant protection rating on top of the +protection for swinging a sword(which didn't go away after they swung a weapon like it does now). I'm aware of course of things like the concept of issues such as emp becoming obsolete(a real possability actually as scientists and engineers are already figuring out how to stop that from being a problem), or protection against ion or neutron radiation.

But we gotta remember people may like to still play apex or Floran without feeling "I'm gimped and useless due to such and such being better!" or "This racial weakness sucks!". The reason the elemental weaknesses were toned down was likely to do with the fact that they were to severe making humans just straight up better. Speaking of imbalances:

Floran energy penalty at night is far to severe for their strengths in daytime; losing 30 energy means even with max food they effectively get lowered to 85 energy base. The player doesn't have as much control over the day/night cycles of planets and there is a lot of luck in regards to when you first visit a planet what time of day that planet is, florans kind of feel to penalized imo and the day/night cycle hunger/energy feels to much like a penalty rather than a unique quirk at this point atm(bout 70% of the time, I tend to first land on a planet at night :(, just my luck). The florans ultimate feel like inferior apex atm. I'd even remove the health penalty at night, or lower it slightly. Especially as Apex are more mobile then florans, who only get a movement bonus with a bow. Given apex mobility I'd even say florans could afford to be tougher if they are meant to be comparably similar.

Likewise Apex energy bonus for being well-fed is a hair to high at a staggering 30-37, and could be toned down to maybe 20 or 15 similar to florans(I'm fine with them having the penalty apex suffer from when hungering, as that is a main disadvantage). I'd even lower the energy advantage a tad further, but then that'd interfere with apex tendency to want to use explosive weapons which are expensive on energy, maybe penalize health by 10% for when full instead(they are nerds, not dumb brutes, when well fed). So an apex well fed would have 10% less health and 20% more energy, but starving they'd be "Me dum ap me shmash bug people!" :). The two ends don't have to be extreme, go figure.

Also is it me or are apex also sharing the same trend as florans of prefering to eat raw meat? Actually I noticed my glitch also..prefered...raw...meat...for some strange reason. Could this phenomonen be explained? It doesn't effect me to much, as I always eat boiled rice 90% of the time, but it is strange that every character of mine shares the same appetite as my floran. I'd thought being able to eat raw meat was an advantage unique to florans when I first started playing with this version of frackin races.

Shadow20218 likes this.
  7. LaughingAlex

To put it short what I said friday: Florans are gimped(as in so weak as to not be worth playing) right now, they are to heavily penalized at night and they don't even have as much energy in day as advertised on the web page on full food. They are effectively weaker apex with no advantages other than food regen in daytime(which is far to little). I actually feel I may have to start a new universe with Frackin races uninstalled if I ever want to roll floran again.(May even if I decide to do a new universe in general come to think of it, as now i'm feeling the mod balance is non-existant now and I'm feeling discouraged from repeating anything thanks to the extreme disparity of performance in the races, I'll continue with frackin universe for sure but frackin races just, slowly feeling it's ruining it for me now).

Apex are overpowered and have an enourmous energy pool on well-fed so much so that combined with movement bonuses, they became a true min/maxer delight as a pick, the "Master of 'everything!'". The energy bonus on full food should be half what it is(it goes all the way up to 37). They are vastly stronger than florans with all the same advantages stronger with an easy means of canceling the disadvantage a little to easily come to think of it. I'd give them a 10% health penalty on well fed and lower the energy bonus to only 15-20% on full food.

The reason I post this is because I like the idea of it, I really do but the disparity of stat bonuses/penalties has grown far to severe and it's detracting from FU's replayability for me. The races had become a difficulty slider(Apex easy, floran hard mode ect), which is the worst thing that can happen imo.

8. Uacher

Uacher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just one question: Do the abilities affect NPCs as well? Or is it only the player characters?

9. LaughingAlex

When I played with it(I don't have it installed now, I do still have the universe where I used it though) I didn't actually notice npc's being effected by it any. Again though, it may but it's hard to tell with npc's.

10. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Seeing your question I have put it to the test. The roster that lists the pros and cons of races stated that Glitch are immune to bee stings and poison. When I pitted an NPC glitch against a bee he suffered from bee sting status, he also suffered from poisoning upon entering poisoned liquid. And because the abilities of Frackin' Races makes changes to the hunger system; I would say that it does not affect NPCs.

11. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

In the way that I've seen race effects typically applied through mods, the mod targets the player character exclusively with an if:then logic.
    If you're a Hylotl, then the mod will recognize that and apply Hylotl-exclusive effects-- and if you're not one, you don't get the effects.

NPCs tend to follow a schemata that puts them into x NPC template with race as one of (however many) options, e.g. a tenant chef (template) of the Apex race (race option).
    For NPCs, race is a variable that then selects for that race's tenant spawn conditions, clothing, weapons, merchant item pool, and the most basic things such as appearance, dialogue and behavior.

I'm sure a more individualistic approach could be possible, one that would be able to check for the race of an NPC and apply associated status effects as a result.
    But from what I've seen with this mod and other mods that apply race-based buffs, debuffs and other statuses, it doesn't make the if:then check for NPCs, and so does not target them.

However, I'm sure that it'd be possible to make items that apply racial statuses, whether it's from armor, consumable, projectiles or even weapons.
    After all, the only thing that makes the statuses explicitly tied to player race is because the mod tells the game to apply an if:then criteria and apply ephemeral effects as a result.

... This is long-winded, but I figured I'd put it out there so maybe non-modders could understand a bit of what's happening behind the scenes.

12. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

sayter updated FrackinRaces with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

14. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

15. NaturesWitness

NaturesWitness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any chance of adding the Playable Cats race?

16. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

18. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

Wouldnt the Droden and Trink be able to eat mechanicle food?

also, the blurb that appears in character creation contradicts itself a bit

19. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I have a question; if you have Frackin' Races installed but the race you are playing is not included in the roster but the race then gets added to the roster will anything happen to the characters of the race?

20. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

i assume it would gain the abilities

edit: sorry if this was asked already, would you ever consider adding the penguin piracy mods race to this?
    it has a few abilities right now, but there are a few things you could add...

Last edited: May 21, 2017