1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinRaces 5.3

Enables racial abilities for all Vanilla races, and many modded ones too!

1. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

Yeah remember I said in there I lost over 60% of my health on a floran just barely touching molten metal? Granted I could have equipped a heat shell, but in other locations where equipping that wouldn't be an option or likewise is more like taking a penalty, in a sense, when having to sacrifice say an energy pack. This trend happens with other races, to, one advantage or disadvantage forces up an equipment slot or two, or frees one in some advantages. In the case of florans for example, fire weakness means they are stuck with heat shells anywhere lava is frequent, and even with it, fire enemies can still be a major problem no matter what you do for equipment; even pyrite armor will not negate the disadvantage fully, unless it's a resistance applied after the damage increase was already factored(so a floran would take 50% of damage from fire compared to someone wearing an armor not protecting from fire but isn't a floran).

It's called BALANCE. When one race is weaker than another, it loses popularity fast and even people who'd favor a race over others would find themselves gravitating away from it when they try something else. Heck, not even to favoring of the new floran overhaul as it seems like it'd make florans impractical to play with bi-polar stat changes based on day/night. Honestly race should be feel/theme rather than a "I have to roll this race cause I want to do this" or "This race is only good for x situation and should never do anything else".

Not to mention, weapons increasing food consumption on floran? Huh? So I lose like, what half food from firing a bow? Gonna check that now.....

It's almost like the race differences are becoming more of a hindrance rather than a contribution at this point.

Edit: Tested floran firing a bow, and yeah...how about we just remove floran with this change? Really it's...terrible there is no way I'd ever touch floran if using certain weapons literally removes half a bar of food. This is more like a penalty forbidding florans from using those weapons than a bonus to encourage it. Or make everyone only play casual*shudders*.

Edit: More looks at floran, so they actually gain food meter freely during the day whenever they are exposed to daylight....weird take on them. But even with this now it feels like, anytime other than daylight on the surface one just as well use non bows/spears. Bows and spears cause your food bar as a floran to drop faster then you can blink an eye whenever your not either "stuffed" or in daylight. And the damage boost for using them is negligible and the "more damage while hungry" effect is counter-acted by food regen in daylight. It's interesting having infinite food in daylight and using more at night, at least. I'd just remove the food cost for using weapons(I would actually just remove weapon bonuses/penalties in general, florans would have to play very differently with day/night effecting them heavily as it is come to think of it).

....actually I think the weapon bonuses in general are imo kind of pointless but then thats just me. I'm in favor of movement speed boosts/health/armor adjustments ect but weapon bonuses are to additive.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Katorone likes this.
  2. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

There's also add on cards for your EPP that make you "heavily resistant to fire damage" you could probably just use that. Touching molten metal kicks the crap out of everyone.
    ed: Fire Resist Augment, http://starbounder.org/Fire_Resist_Augment

3. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I know, it's just kind of annoying though when my human touches molten metal(for a quarter second mind you) is barely phased by it even without a heat shell when in war-angel armor. It makes me consider other races "weaker" when I'm free to use the augment slot for something else like movement tile resistance or +energy/+armor. Thats basic min/maxing for ya; when I can get an advantage by not having a disadvantage forcing me to make up for it, or picking a disadvantage that is meaningless for a large advantage. The same reason glitch for a time were "overpowered" earlier in the game when they didn't need oxygen(which was fixed).

Right now, for example, nova kid are very good because large energy pool + health regen, even have a radiation protection advantage. The weakness to poison, ironicly due to it being balanced, makes them good alternatives to humans(who have no disadvantages). With shadow damage exclusive to worlds a player is rarely going to visit for any long-term reason, even that disadvantage being large (-100%) is minor compared to -100% fire resistance(floran).

Heck I'd actually change the disadvantages/unusual quirks to be more..quirky without really being punishful. Kind of like the floran "doesn't get hungry in sunlight, consumes more food at night".

Apex: They do need more food, make them weaker the hungrier they get, even suffering -speed/jump when below 50% food, but gain +speed/jump when over 75% food. Weakness to electrical reduced to 30%. Starvation adjustment; apex consume MORE food when they have more then 75% food, to. :)
    Glitch: 15% damage resistance to everything except electrical, 35% weakness to electrical, rain reduces health/resistance just as being under water does. Notice I said rain; rarely does the player have to go underwater, but rain is common enough to be a real disadvantage.
    Avian: Fine as is, though maybe reduce cold weakness, adjust damage bonus from health loss(or maybe i'd change that but then thats just me, I never saw "damage bonus for low health" actually work in actual practice in ANY game, ever).
    Hylotl: Eh, aquaman is aquaman, actually should play this race sometime.. but maybe reduce the electrical weakness some to 35%.
    Nova Kid: I look at the quirks, they seem fine, shadow weakness could be 50% rather than 100% due to it's rarity. Regular poison resistance at 25% is fine, as poison is rather common. Physical resistance weakness is fine at 10% to.
    Floran: Atm, I wouldn't touch weapons which consume food for use, but again I thought it's interesting how they use less/no food in sunlight, need more during night or underground. I'd of course lower fire weakness to 35%.

I think when it comes to stat bonuses regarding food, it should only be in survival mode for that.

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

5. Jesta Qwky

Jesta Qwky Space Hobo

I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet, however, there is a problem that I am experiencing with my server, I have Frackin' Races, Frackin' Universe, Felin, and Bunnykin for my mods. After extensive play, I can say that my old bunnykin made before the most recent updates, has the correct stats as far as health and energy go, but movement speed and jump height have always been the norm. To test this, I recruited my friend to use a Felin to jump, and jumped beside them, attempting to reach a platform that I couldn't reach in a single jump, on the other hand he more than cleared the jump. Frustrated at playing a character I felt had only negative impacts, I created a glitch, who has since experienced both poison and bee stings... Occasionally at the same times and the stings through a shield which blocked initial damage. I know there are some other things that I noticed weren't correct I just can't bring them to mind at the moment. So in closing... some of the racial modifications are working for me and others are not. Is there something I can do to fix it so that I and the server I use can experience the entirety of this mod?

6. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

7. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

sayter updated FrackinRaces with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. Jesta Qwky

Jesta Qwky Space Hobo

As of 3.0.8 My fluffalo egg turned into a chicken. Wouldn't hatch like vanilla so I used an incubator.

9. mindbound

mindbound Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there existing or planned support for the Greckan and Elithian race mods? TIA.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

12. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

14. DukeScrewface

My sister plays Floran on casual. How do hunger based abilities work for casual players without hunger bars?

15. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

While playing with some friends, I stumbled across a rather distressing problem with Novakids and guns.

Using a gun or energy based weapon such as a flamethrower, while playing as a Novakid, will cause the gun to refuse to fire at all if it is switched into from another item via hotkeys/scroll wheel. It remains unusable even if switched out and switched back in during the same play session, but it seems that if you already had it equipped when you logged into your game, it works fine - until you switch to something else again.

I tested with a spawned-in flamethrower on both a Novakid and an Apex, and only the Novakid had this problem.

Looks like something's going wrong with the gunfire lua files, from the logs, and the only mods I can find in my list that have anything that would modify gun usage in any way would be this one.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

16. ChakatSilverpaw

ChakatSilverpaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am curious about the hunger mechanic aswell for Casual players.

17. DukeScrewface

Feature Request: Can you support Classical Weaponry? Actually, what add on weapons are currently supported? Leia mod and most race mods add new weapons too; but idk about new types.

18. 9w3rd

9w3rd Aquatic Astronaut

This mod seems really really interesting, but I hesitate to use it because of the stats also.
    If the author is reading this, I know the changes are more than just resistance/weakness numbers, but is it possible to commit to some sort of a "universal" modifier guideline for the races? As in, each race will have a total of, say, 100% change for both weakness and advantage. In my opinion, I see your thinking now is probably "some races have more "gameplay" changes that benefit them, so I will increase or decrease the stats to balance", but that can create the problem of increasing of decreasing too much, and what you view as balanced may feel really awkward in game for others (even with you testing them first).
    I don't think I express myself well enough, but can you balance the numbers separately, and make the "element" and "gameplay" changes balanced in their respective areas, instead of balancing better gameplay benefits with worse element weaknesses? I think it will create more coherent modifications across the races.
    Just my 2cents.

19. Warboss_Spriggs

Warboss_Spriggs Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think this mod was made with the intention of casual play. I'm not saying that is the case... just that maybe, possibly, that's the case.

20. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time