1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a game that ripped off Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Outlaw Star, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Outlaw Star

Outlaw Star Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello guys, while browsing cell phone games I found one called Starhunter, by Jay-Z games. In the ads showing game content, I saw this.. I hope someone who works for Chucklefish gets some moneys for this? imgres.jpg

2. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Checked it out, the ship has an almost identical resemblance to the SB ships including textures and layout, although this may have been the only thing I feel was stolen from SB. I read a review that said it also stole from Hyperlight Drifter.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Outlaw Star like this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

This has been posted several times over like... the last couple years.

Main point to note is it is a Chinese developer and Chucklefish basically can't do anything about it, nor is it worth the effort.

4. Outlaw Star

Outlaw Star Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure how it works when people copy code like that.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Well, an image isn't considered code, it is an asset.

But the process typically begins with sending a C&D letter, and if they do not comply, you would proceede with legal action. Like I said though, they are from China, and they really don't care about copyright and trademark laws for the rest of the world.

Outlaw Star likes this.
  6. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

China's market is a strange thing; they can produce anything that they want without fear of repercussion, but nobody who was going to buy anything is ever going to buy a Chinese ripoff of that thing instead. Meanwhile, you're probably not going to find any actual original IPs being distributed in China, since they're too busy making bootlegs. It's almost like China is some sort of parallel universe in which familiar things exist, but in a different and significantly less enjoyable form.

It's kind of like the opposite of the Garden of Eden. Or is it...a BOOTLEG of the Garden of Eden!

7. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

8. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

Yeah china gives no shits. Just look up chinese bootleg and see the nonsense.
    I will say this mad max rip off looks better than the actual movie though lol.

9. Mike1Bagong

Mike1Bagong Astral Cartographer

China has no copyright system to protect outside objects, so you can't do anything really.