Food for the thought: Stardew Valley 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WilliamZ, Apr 28, 2017.

1. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I was thinking that It would be cool, to have the second game as a prequel of the first one, well not much of a "prequel" because grandpa would be young, we would see the initial relationship of the Mayor with Marnie, and get to know who is the person that now is lying on that giant tombstone in actual Stardew Valley. How George was before, Kent dreams while he was a kid, new characters.

Really, I can be daydreaming about this all the day <3<3<3<3

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

That'd be cool. We could maybe learn more about Linus too.

Who would we be in this scenario? I'm assuming no Joja yet so would we just be some outsider that moves to the valley to help grandpa (he wouldn't be our grandpa, maybe just a friend of the family?) on his new farm?

WilliamZ and sunlite like this.
      • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Definitely seems like a cool idea. CA seems pretty busy atm, so hopefully in the future he may want to consider something like this. Some of the marriage candidates that moved in after (e.g., Hayley, Emily, Elliott, Leah) + the children might not be in the prequel though. Abigail could be young like Jas or younger, and Harvey could be in college. I'd like to see "old villagers" that may have since moved out, too.

The game could focus more on social interactions and other things like cooking and foraging more and less on farming, although we could have a small garden.

• WilliamZ

It could be a person that made the vilage forget about the comunity center, also we could have a younger version of the Wizard and the guy from the adventure guild.

This could be a DLC, a kind of time machine, or weird magic.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

A prequel would prevent any marriage relationships from happening because they'd have to be locked in for Stardew Valley 1.

• LuthienNightwolf

What if you ARE grandpa? Or Grandma? You play as one of them, starting the farm and meeting the older inhabitants of the town for the first time?

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Do it far enough back, have the player be one of the grandparents, leave people that we KNOW are canonically paired up together/ doing what they'd canonically and this could be pulled off. Like... Have George and Evelyn be already married or more likely engaged. Willy's father would still be around, probably running the fishing shop, while Willy himself could be off travelling. Clint's grandpa would be running the blacksmith.. Crops could be different- somethings available to grow in "modern" Stardew might not have been available 30~60 years ago. The mine probably would have been more active, with more miners and adventurers. I mean, we know a lot of people moved off, and there's a generation of time to play with.

Downside would be that there would have to be some Foregone Conclusion type situations, depending on time period. You couldn't, for example, stop Alex's mother from marrying/dating Alex's father. Or stop George from losing use of his legs. There'd be no way to keep the community center from closing down, no matter how hard you work. All of those are problems for a "prequel", since they sort of invalidate player input.

Unless it turns into some time-travel shenanigans, with Rasmodius contacting the PC of the prequel and saying he got a message from a future him and if they don't do something the town is going to all but die.

Or, people could technically prevent the existence of certain characters. If it is set in a period around when Abigail is concieved and the player does a quest that fixes Rasmodius' and the Witch's marriage, it could cause issues. Or keeping Kent and Jodi from getting together. Hell, one could conceivably keep George and Evelyn apart, meaning Alex is never even a potential existence.

• Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm, Ghostly Fox brings up a good point. A prequel would limit a lot of what could be done without sacrificing continuity or leaving the players feeling like none of their choices have any real weight.

Now I don't know about a full game but if it was DLC, maybe this could work instead? The spirit of your Grandpa comes to visit you and wants to tell you about the origin of the farm. You then get to spend a few days in Stardew Valley in the memory of your grandfather back when he was just a young man trying to raise money to get the farm established. It's like you'd build your farms own origin depending on how you play and it would give your choices some purpose without it effecting what happens with anyone else in town. You could earn the money in several different ways; forging, fishing, the mines, and of course, gardening. You'd probably also need to collect resources so your house could be built. I don't know if there would be any real deadlines. You'd just play it until you reached the goal, no matter how many days it takes. In the meanwhile you could get to know the Valley of the past, meeting many of the current townsfolks parents (or meet current ones in their youth, like George and Evelyn).

If we wanted to keep the romancing aspect of the game still apart of this, there could be some elegible bachlor/ettes for your grandpa to woo ontop of the goal to get the farm going. None of them would be related to the current townsfolk, to avoid any complications with continuity.

The problem with this idea is that it loses the player customization that I'm sure many people love (thus why it'd have to be DLC, rather than a separate game, so people can still keep their farmer as they are).

• LuthienNightwolf

I think you could still somewhat customize your character - we only ever see Grandpa as an old man (and a ghost) so what he looked like when he was young could be completely up to the player. For female characters maybe you play as your Grandma instead - she's never really mentioned later on so you'd be free to decide her look too. Then whoever you marry would become the Grandpa we all know. It's a stretch, but it could work.
                    As far as other characters, I like the suggestions Ghostly Fox made about meeting many of the current town's citizens when they were younger, or in some cases, the previous generation. We'd be going back at least 50-60 years so many of the parents in town wouldn't be born yet. We'd get a new set of families - could be brand new or just the grandparents of the current marriagable singles.
                    I'm not sure the community center or Joja would be the central focus of this story. Both would have been in their infancy, if they were around yet at all. I do think it would be cool if the player could influence their beginnings though. Maybe we have a hand in helping the CC get built, or alternatively we do something that helps the founder of Joja corp go off and start their business. We could also be there when the dwarves and shadow people arrive in the valley.
                    It's definitely fun to think about. :)

Yaushibee and WilliamZ like this.
                    • WilliamZ

I would preffer to think of grandpa like a NPC, some families should have romance locked, like Emily was for us and Clint still is (even him beeing young). It's way back in the past, we would see the romance of George and Evelyn <3

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Just my opinion, mind, but I think if there is a SDV 2, it would need new gameplay mechanics. For me, these might include starting up your own business. Perhaps manufacturing basic clothes (via animals and natural fibers), or jewelry (via mining), or crafting furniture (via wood collection). All three would require more equipment, as well as a separate shop room to create the items you want to sell. And it should be a skill, which means very shoddy quality at first. You'd also have to buy the "recipes" to craft goods.

As opposed to spending part of every day in your shop, you could hire help for a fee.

Yaushibee and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                        • Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, if they could adopt some mechanics from Recetter, the combination could be amazing, as the game will be more open ended then before. If you want to be a miner? Then cool, you can run a shop like Clint. If you want to be a crabber on the riverlands farm, you can run a shop like Willy. Great freedom.

Having visited a Kirin Beer Farm in Japan, I feel that they could also be an expansion of the brewing mechanics, with silos, heavy machinery to make the process larger and more automated with time and resources put into it.
                          [​IMG]

Other ideas could include bring the war closer to home, with constant air raids. The plot would be to try to run farm that is bombed occasionally, or damaged from shrapnel from anti-air fire. Food shortages in the country would mean that you would have to maintain a quota. Things like Demetrius's cave would become an air raid shelter (with bed), things like houses, sheds and barns when bombed would need to be repaired by Robin, and be rendered unusable for several days. Bomb craters would destroy crops, and unexploded bombs could litter the town, a tragic story waiting to happen. The inspiration for this idea was a scenario from the original Simcity, and the movie I watched, In This Corner of the World. Although, it could go the way with the Battle of Britain, where the air-raids only last for a set time, before the Ferngill Republic regains control of the skies. Thus, the new 2 year challenge.
                          [​IMG]

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

In terms of new craft goods...

Metalworking- The ability to make jewelry from gems, minerals, and metal the player mines. Able to give it to villagers, sell it, and wear it for different stat boosts. Being able to make armor and weapons would be interesting, too.

Clay Sculpting- Something to do with the hundreds of pounds of clay we find would be nice. May as well be able to make pots out of it, and apply different colored glazes and patterns.

Glass Sculpting- This would also be really nice, even if possibly limited. Different shapes and colors could have different effects.

All of them could have skill levels, with the level changing the output ratio of what star the item is. And maybe it's because I'm so used to a five or ten point scale, but having the item quality go: no star, bronze star, silver star, gold star, iridium star would be nice.

• LuthienNightwolf

I've literally suggested this exact thing, it needs to be added so bad! Clay is everywhere and it's practically useless. >.<

Pottery, with different glazes, or flowers in it; clay bricks to make walls and pathways; even dishes, bowls and mugs.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Really? Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks it would be a nice mechanic. I think Stardew Valley would be a good game for a somewhat realistic take on clay sculpting. Prepare the clay, shape the pot/item, put it in one machine to dry for 1-3 days, put it in a separate machine that is a kiln, put the bisque in a separate machine with one of the "dye" items, get the glazed item, fire it in the kiln to set the glaze. Maybe make it possible to glaze an item twice or even three times.

Could also have a pottery wheel and a hand shaping table- it could cut down on clutter in the recipe menu. Pieces could have a chance to shatter in the kiln that's based off your skill level- start at a 50% chance it will fail, and drop down to 1%? And letting a piece dry longer drops the failure chance by 10%, with a cap on the bonus and a minimum failure rate of .5% Since firing can take a while, maybe have it so you can get an upgraded, bigger kiln that can fire multiple pieces at once, but with the drawback that if one piece fails you could lose everything in that kiln. (Maybe each level in clay shaping gives one more item a chance to make a saving roll?)

Different dyes could add different values to the piece. As an example, emerald could give the highest bonus, duck feather could give middle of the road, and malachite- since it can be poisonous- could be the lowest. Maybe even be able to use things like the bone artifacts, or different kinds of kilns to make bone china, stoneware, and porcelain wares.

It wouldn't be difficult to make skills/professions, either. One for speeding up the drying process, chance at getting two of an item when making it (rationalized as being more efficient with the same amount of clay), increased sell price of two of the types of pottery, another with the same deal for the other two, reduced firing time, maybe even a profession that makes clay even more common for people that want to go all in on the pottery aspect.

Also, looking at how long this comment is made me realize I apparently really enjoyed my college pottery class and miss being able to work with clay. Huh.

(Having a higher level cap on the skills in order to get all the professions would be nice, too. Or a prestige/legendary system like the mod for SDV or the system in Skyrim for resetting a skill to continue levelling.)

WilliamZ and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I love the idea of SDV 2 being a prequel <3

I like the idea of it being an interactive story kinda game. Maybe you find Granpa's diary and you then read it, playing the game in different scenarios from the past along the way.
                                  OR it could be a time traveller's paradox type of game, you play as the farmer from game 1 and then travel to the past, mess something up that changes the present and then you have to correct your mess so the present go back to normal. And where does time travel come from? Well, Maru could event a time machine. I mean she invented a sentient robot, I think she could invent a time machine too :p Or maybe you get your hands on some of the Wizard's magic. I imagine he'd be able to time travel, it's magic anything can happen.

WilliamZ and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                  • AnnieBenLen

AnnieBenLen Astral Cartographer

Maybe we could play as Mona. We could find out about her life, and have a triggerable event that would lead to her death and burial in the graveyard.

WilliamZ likes this.