1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Floran Vampires

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by IxFa, Jul 3, 2017.

1. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]
    Albino avocado tree

Albinism in plants is extremely rare, and of those that do come to exist, most will die within days as they can't photosynthesize energy after their seed is finally out of nutrients. They also suffer horribly in direct sunlight as the lack of chlorophyll comes with it a lack of resistance to solar radiation.

Those that don't die? They survive by draining nutrients from another plant's root-system. Effectively being a vampire. Light be thy death, only the health of their floral neighbors can keep them alive in the shadows of forest canopies.
    Doesn't it make you wonder how Floran society views albinism? If they realise that albino plants feed off others to survive, and albino floran would share that vulnerability to sunlight, surely that means an albino floran will feed off other floran. Is that how they see it? The greenfingers can communicate with plantlife, and control them, they probably know about this stuff.

It was to my disappointment that I cannot make an albino floran, the colour options just aren't there. :c
    Well, at least we can still make very pretty albino humans just fine!
    Untitled.png
    Minor note that most have a faded blonde shade to their hair, and albinism is a real and very harmful disease. Do enjoy artistic expression, though!

DraikNova and Pangaea like this.
  2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

So, wouldn't this mean that Florans would be very albino-phobic and would, at least in most villages, see killing albino florans as a good thing?

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Sounds reasonable and very possible. No need for supernatural things like with human vampires. I like the idea.

4. CSigma

CSigma Void-Bound Voyager

Florans are already typically very aggressive and carnivorous, eating other sentient species and sometimes each other. I can only imagine an albino Floran would be one of the few things in the universe that would send Florans and every living thing fleeing to their starships to get away as quick as possible.

5. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Well certainly not every living thing. They'd be smaller and weaker than the average floran with a sensitivity to sunlight.
    The interesting bit is just the tribal superstition due to how albino plants work, and floran society being rather primitive in their ways of thinking and acting.

6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp, following that, albinos Florans would be rare as hell