Fishing adventure!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PimpyMcCat, Aug 4, 2017.

1. PimpyMcCat

PimpyMcCat Tentacle Wrangler

Hey all!

I really love this game and thought I would give some ideas in terms of fishing and how to make it have even more layers (like farming). I feel like fishing doesn't have much late game other than for recipes and treasure (I know treasure is important but hear me out).

Fishing adventures
    One day, Willy is outside your cabin/house, he stops you as soon as you leave the door. "Have you ever been on an adventure?"
    "I thought not, come on down to the docks and I'll tell you all about the adventures I had as a young skipper"
    The next time you go to the docks, it goes to a cut scene

Willy sits you down and explains his fishing tales of how he almost caught the biggest fish he'd ever seen and how it almost sunk his boat in the process.

He tells you how he would love to take another crack at the one that got away but he needs a boat. This is where you come in, you build Willy a boat and he takes you out on fishing trips as your guide. This gives you a bonding experience with Willy to take multiple cracks at furthering your relationship with him.
    This ultimately leads up to the hunt for the fish that got away.

The catch for the legendary fish should be a nod to Moby Dick but I imagine Eric can take it in any creative way he wants. I think it would be cool to create a team effort coop with Willy when you eventually do run into the legendary fish (this would be a triggered event after so many deep sea trips), think of it like Jaws where Willy is running around like crazy on your boat, he's doing all kinds of things and he's yelling at you to man the boat or harpoon and you have to skill shot it several times to reel it in.
    After you catch the elusive legendary fish, he retires his captains hat to you and lets you keep the boat you built for him.

This gives you access to fishing trips on the deep seas!

A few ideas come to mind from here for further long term add ons to this idea
    • Scuba diving
    • Coastal cave exploration
    • Treasure hunting
    • Pirate encounters (I'm not sure about this one but I thought I would throw it out there)
    • Fish market on Willy's docks
    • Large net to catch a lot of fish
    • expansion of the crab pot (fishing cage)
    • Sharks!
    • All kinds of exotic fish, based on the season that are not available fishing off the docks
    I thought a great opportunity from this would be a Fish market on Willy's large and empty docks, it's so empty out there. This could give you the opportunity to turn into a vendor and you can stock your wares for the locals to buy and to also introduce the idea of selling it by shipping it.

To me, this creates a whole new route for end game fishing that doesn't currently exist, fishing as it is now is just a way to get some food for energy and some quick cash and treasure hunting.

I apologize if this has been brought up or has been explored by the creator :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
      Mars_bk and ChaosAzeroth like this.
    • Mars_bk

Mars_bk Void-Bound Voyager

I always thought it was sad how fishing was never expanded upon further than just shore fishing...

Boats and exploring sound fun as heck to be honest and I would love for those types of adventures to be implemented. Also, Willy is one of the best characters imho as he seems so humble about his trade and so happy doing what he's doing. +1 for Willy character exploration and exploration in general.

• Chefpief

Chefpief Subatomic Cosmonaut

A game I used to frequently play called Sims Castaway on the PS2 had a net you could bait and place to catch fish. I always thought it was a nice feature.

Spending the day with Willy on a boat doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

And honestly, before anything is put on those docks, I'd like to see an event where they're rebuilt and not so rickety looking. Maybe after the community center is rebuilt you could be asked to help fix up other parts of town, including the docks.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

I like this idea, but I'm unsure how the Scuba Diving would be done in a top-down environment. Would there just be procedurely generated segmented areas you can find and those could lead to an underwater cave with an air pocket? I'm sure it could be done, but that's a LOT of programming required to make any of that happen... if CA plans to do something like this in the future, it may start small before getting bigger.

• FlixerDK

FlixerDK Void-Bound Voyager

Don't know if all of them are possible, but deep sea fishing would be amazing, and could easily be implimented.

You would repair or build a small motorboat, that has room for you and Willy, and maybe a fishing box, just for looks, the motor could run on battery packs. You steer the boat, and just like you jump off the horse, you could get in and out of boat mode, free to eat and fish, but you can't fall off, only walk out when you're next to land or the pier. The beach map would be bigger, just with more ocean, and maybe a reaf, there would be 2 -3 new fish per season, big and small, like blue marlin and mackerel, and fish like tuna would also be catchable in deep ocean. There should be another legendary fish, and maybe you could even kill the sea monster. Maybe you could put out a net, and leave it for a day or so, and catch king crabs and oysters, and other creatures that are similar to those you can catch with the crab pot.

• PimpyMcCat

PimpyMcCat Tentacle Wrangler

All of you have great suggestions!

I saw that there is a purple boat that was posted, I'm curious where he is going with it :)

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

This is just my speculation and will likely not be right, but maybe there'll be an option to get an upgradable boat that you can use to do some deep-ocean fishing... alternatively, we may be getting a new region to explore, though that's probably even less likely.