1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Earth

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Guest0241525, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

It's an idea that I came up with someplace else, but I've decided not to hijack the original discussion further, and settled for starting a separate thread instead.

Of course, finding the Sol system in Starbound is not possible. It is, however, entirely possible for a system similar to the Sol system to appear within Starbound's vast universe! With enough work, the system could be modified enough to become a carbon copy of the Solar system.

For that to be possible, the star should be a temperate star with asteroid fields and no oceanic planets. Universe Scanner mod should be a great help. It should be composed of the following:
    1. Mercury (Regular planet, can be terraformed to barren or volcanic, should have no moon)
    2. Venus (Regular planet, can be terraformed to volcanic, should have no moon)
    3. Earth (Asteroid field, due to its destruction)
    4. Mars (Regular planet, can be terraformed to barren or scorched, preferably two moons)
    5. Asteroid field
    6. Jupiter (Gas giant, from here onward any number of moons is fine)
    7. Saturn (Gas giant)
    8. Uranus ('Ice giant', regular planet, can be terraformed to tundra - more interesting that way)
    9. Neptune ('Ice giant', regular planet, can be terraformed to tundra as well)
    10. Pluto (Regular planet, can be terraformed to barren. Optional, but would rather have it than not. Any moons could be handwaved away as other dwarf planets, such as Eris.)
    Since we need 9-10 celestial bodies, it's best to try looking mostly in star systems with at least 5-6 planet types - since more planet types typically means more planets in general. Keep in mind that if really needed, we might be able to change an ocean planet... but asteroid fields, gas giants and planet orbits are entirely fixed, unless .system files hide some potential that I'm not yet aware of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2017
    Roskii Heiral and IHart like this.
  2. andrielChaoti

andrielChaoti Void-Bound Voyager

10. Pluto, also an asteroid field is acceptable there :)

3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here I thought I was being cold with "optional" :nurugasp:

4. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I'd like to at least see a reflection of Europa and Callisto flying around Jupiter

IHart and Guest0241525 like this.
  5. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here are a couple systems that were vaguely similar, but none of them quite making the cut:

Bellatrix Strand - X: 3568 Y: 1463
    starbound_2017-07-26_19-40-57.png
    - 3 regular planets (2 moons orbiting the first two)
    - 2 gas giants
    - 2 regular planets
    - no asteroid fields

Occeing Crescent - X: 5005 Y: 2377
    starbound_2017-07-26_19-42-55.png
    - 2 regular planets (1 moon)
    - 1 asteroid field
    - 1 barren planet (red)
    - 1 gas giant
    - 1 regular planet

Mira Mire - X: 6025 Y: 3821
    starbound_2017-07-26_19-44-09.png
    - 2 regular planets (2 moons each)
    - 1 asteroid field
    - 2 gas giants (2 moons each)
    - 3 regular planets

The search continues I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2017
  6. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pluto would fit more with midnight planet and Neptune could be a frozen ocean

7. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Gaia Formation - X: -652 Y: 3842
    starbound_2017-08-25_15-26-01.png
    - 2 regular planets
    - 1 asteroid field
    - 1 regular planet (2 moon)
    - 1 asteroid field
    - 1 ancient gate

Would be pretty much what we're looking for, except for the part where Venus has moons and the entire system cuts off beyond the asteroid field, never making it to Jupiter.

8. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

The system name alone gives it +2 earth points