Modding Help file's format change

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Siubagak, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Siubagak

Siubagak Void-Bound Voyager

I have just created a little mod for myself (never did this beafore) and changed format of 2 files from the base game assets from respectively .recipe and .activeitem to .text to be able to edit them. how can i change them back? (just changeing the name of a of a file doesn't work)

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

1. You don't need to change the extension to open them. Just right click and select "open with" then select the program to open them with.
    2. Never ever ever alter the vanilla assets unless you know what you are doing.
    3. To change them back just change the extension back to what it was. Make sure file extensions are enabled.

bk3k likes this.
  3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

^^^
    Indeed.

For the purposes of my post, I'll be assuming you're using Windows.

I suggest downloading notepad++ for your editing needs. It adds "edit with notepad++" to the options list(or whatever that's called) that you get when right clicking on an item. That will make it easier. Numerous other things about notepad++ can make your editing easier too.

I also strongly suggest you turn off the "folder option" described as "hide extensions for known types" which is enabled by default. I rank that #1 all time dumbest decision Microsoft ever made. Having that option was stupid as it make it FAR easier to trick people into running viruses when they think they'd be running something else, not to mention issues like you're facing now. Having that option be on by default is beyond foolish.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    lazarus78 likes this.
  4. Siubagak

Siubagak Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, thanks. btw i edited a copy of the files not the orginal ones

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Now as for changing the files - once you have figured out what you want them to do - It is better to patch the files than replace them. So I suggest reading this thread next
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/basic-patching-now-with-path-guide-v1-9.84496/
    and there is a patch maker here - http://chbrown.github.io/rfc6902/
    That can make your life much easier. Doesn't do patch batches though.

It is obviously easier to edit and play around with the regular files. The reason you'd want to patch is to avoid making other mods(that might also mess with that file) totally incompatible(because you are completely replacing the file and might over-write their edits). So it makes sense to use a regular file while fiddling around. But before publishing anything, switch to patches.