Fighting for planets in custom isometric maps

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Nieskalany, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Nieskalany

Nieskalany Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello guys!
    I was thinking how planet wars could work. At moment moving only to left or right didnt make so much possibilites to make a place where tanks/mechs could be advantage. What if we could get special maps with isometric point of view for planets where we can build base and other faction/guild could try to conquer it?

[​IMG]
    Isometric Picture.

This could be fun to attack base from every side.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

How would that work? You can't just make a 2D game isometric, you need completely new 3D models, and you need to somehow extrapolate what people have built into a 3D space.

You should try starcraft.

3. Nieskalany

Yes you can. For example
    : [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also i was talking about separeate pvp planet map not same as pve one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Okay, you'd still need new sprites to actually make it look good.

Okay? I don't know how that changes anything.

5. Sceye

Sceye Void-Bound Voyager

I'd love it, honestly.
    But it would require a metric shitton of work, basically remaking the whole game.

6. Nieskalany

Imagine this like that. You have planet X. This planet have 2 maps, 1 normal one like now PVE and second one Isometric PVP. Both are separated. On first you have normal pve content. On second only special buldings and pvp stuff wich is diffrent than on normal map and must be build directly there. So you dont copy map first to map2.

This system would be best for conquering worlds. Imagine how many possibilites it brings if we add to this map3 with space combat. wich could give special abillites to map2 like orbital drop.

Of course this will need some new sprites but this would work for all planets in game. This is not much work for feature that will improve gameplay tons of times and make goal for endgame wich is fun.

Not really, just adding 1map, few sprites and changing point of view on one map. :)

example of new sprites that could be need:

http://opengameart.org/content/ships-with-ripple-effect
    http://opengameart.org/content/big-mama-boss-tank

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. space_panda

space_panda Master Chief

What is this....I don't even

The | Suit and LeonardMeagher2 like this.
  8. Simoxeh

Simoxeh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will start off by saying you are wrong in that it would take a lot of work. I don't see this being implemented. Changing movement code and such isn't the quickest thing to do. They wouldn't have to rewrite the game but add a lot to it.

Now I like the conquer the planet idea. I would say a realistic idea is that a building of a certain size, containing certain items must be built with a pvp flag item must be built. Once done the planet will be considered conquered after a few minutes. Taking a planet back involves taking the flag and placing your own.

You can add guards already so adding them to your base would be easy enough and they should attack anyone with a different pvp color.

9. Nieskalany

If they release sdk package, then i will make it as mod. And this is doesnt matter how much work it cost, you know they got like 3mln $ so they have enough resource to make any good suggestion we made.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. Nieskalany

11. TetraChild

TetraChild Void-Bound Voyager

The only problem I see here, is that is a totally diferent game.

A top view required, to rethink the world generation, IAs, the entire game mechanics, physics simulation...

let them finish Starbound 1st.

12. Windy017

Windy017 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This would work so much better, I think.

13. grimSkepsis

grimSkepsis Space Spelunker

I REALLY think you underestimate how much work this would involve. Its a neat idea, but would be very jarring to the 2D aesthetic already established and would involve a crap ton of new assets, movement controls, etc.

14. GOKOP

GOKOP Big Damn Hero

I still don't understand, how your minimap example will work in 2D game...

15. Nieskalany

16. Conansboy

Conansboy Big Damn Hero

Tell that to LittleBigPlanet

17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It could instead be used in space, where an isometric view would allow for all 3 axis to be taken into account.