Feedback on why an item can't be placed

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Khym Chanur, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Khym Chanur

Khym Chanur Big Damn Hero

It took me a while to figure out that the reason I couldn't place any wood platforms inside my ships cockpit was because there weren't any background walls, even though it looks like a background wall is there. If you can't place an item, the game should say "There's no background wall", "There's already an item there", "It needs to have support underneath", or whatever. The text could either be a tooltip hovering over where you want to place the item, or a speech bubble coming from the PC. Plus there'd be an option to turn it off for those who got tired of it.

STCW262, Jappards and Dagger7 like this.
  2. Dagger7

Dagger7 Industrial Terraformer

Holy crap, you just saved my life. I kept wondering why I couldn't place anything in that damned cockpit. Plus, great suggestion, although the better solution would be to make block placement less confusing.

3. keyra

keyra Intergalactic Tourist

i fully support any suggestion that removes information about game mechanics from the enigma of frustrated discovery. speech bubbles as toggleable tooltips is such a simple and brilliant solution i want to cry that it isn't already a thing

4. Katvrouw

Katvrouw Tentacle Wrangler

Ooh, that just gave me a great idea! If the cockpit has no background walls... Then presumably one could ADD background walls, yes? *jumps back into game to try* YES! So that not only lets you change the look and feel of the cockpit (the open rectangular part anyway), but also then mount things on the walls you just added. Here's what mine looks like now. The animal pelt in the centre doesn't really contrast nicely enough with the ornate wood background, but it's a work in progress...

[​IMG]