1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Fatal Crash on Mac

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Oeks, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Oeks

Oeks Space Hobo

When I try to activate the portal on the first planet, the game crashes completely. I'm running the latest version on steam, I've disabled my steam overlay, I've deleted and reinstalled, nothing works. I'm running mac osx 10.10.5

Attached Files:

2. Malakite

Malakite Space Hobo

I have the same issue. If I click on the portal and even attempt to 'x' out of it, it crashes. The crash report looks like a null pointer exception. It is trying to access memory at location 0x00000000.

3. CountPaddy

CountPaddy Space Hobo

I am having the same issue, attempting to activate the gate or exiting out of the prompt (either by clicking or walking away) will crash the program.

4. claan22

claan22 Space Hobo

Same. Game is very difficult to play because of this glitch. My brother and I are both running on Mac, and these crashes are persistent.

There are other places as well (I just started so I don't know what it's called - but in that area with all the NPC's that you get to after you use the Portal (I was there on someone else's game)) where various objects that I interact with will give the same crash when I X out of them.

Details:
    Instant crash, opens up "Would you like to submit a crash report to Apple" window.
    Persistent and reproducible.
    No mods.
    Mac OS X 10.11.5
    Full-screen
    Steam in-app browser disabled.

This has been mentioned in the update thread, with more details here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/1-0-3-changelog.120110/page-5
    It's also the same crash as this thread:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/crash-when-activating-ancient-gate-console.120174/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. Alligatorgarog

Alligatorgarog Void-Bound Voyager

"X'ing out of any upgrade window seems to fully exit the game completely. Or any window ingame seems to crash the game. Crash Report comes up afterword.

6. bmceldowney

bmceldowney Void-Bound Voyager

I am experiencing this exact issue upon portal activation. It's preventing forward progress and is really annoying.

7. bobette

bobette Yeah, You!

Would like to report this bug as well. On Mac OSX v10.10.5.

8. Zengone108

Zengone108 Space Hobo

I can confirm that this issue is occurring for me as well (Mac OSX 10.10.5)

9. Lenniefish

Lenniefish Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having this issue not just with the gate, but almost several menus. Shop menus seem to be find, but the vehicle repair thing crashed my game too and I can't upgrade my tech because of it. (Mac OS X 10.10.5)

10. Westmarch

Westmarch Void-Bound Voyager

I also am having this problem - in my game, it crashes when I try to close the tech upgrade window in the outpost. (Mac OS 10.11.6) Tried this repeatedly, always crashes to desktop. Not modded. Windowed mode.

[22:21:34.064] [Error] Fatal Error: Segfault Encountered!
    0 starbound 0x0000000104c8a8ec _ZNSt3__114__split_bufferIPNS_8functionIFvvEEENS_9allocatorIS4_EEE10push_frontEOS4_ + 8556
    1 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fff9cd9d52a _sigtramp + 26
    2 ??? 0x00000001837b3d60 0x0 + 6500859232
    3 starbound 0x0000000104b750d3 starbound + 49363
    4 starbound 0x0000000104b73339 starbound + 41785
    5 starbound 0x000000010563aaa1 _ZN4Star11SdlPlatform3runEv + 577
    6 starbound 0x000000010563a6e4 _ZNSt3__16vectorIN4Star12RenderVertexENS_9allocatorIS2_EEE21__push_back_slow_pathIS2_EEvOT_ + 3908
    7 starbound 0x0000000104b7738c starbound + 58252
    8 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff8cec15ad start + 1

11. Woojoo333

Woojoo333 Void-Bound Voyager

Just posted a thread about this.

I falsely thought it was due to a tech mod I installed, and I ended up asking the dev if he could fix it. What he diagnosed was this.

"A segfault - Starbound is doing something badly with its memory on the C++ side then. And it occurs in a .dylib file, which is a Mac specific format. Really sorry, but there's not much I can do... I don't have a Mac : / You might make a bug report on the Chucklefish forums; I don't think any of the other mods are likely relevant, but I bet this is reproducible with just this one."

Two areas I know of that cause this crash are Rob Repairo, and the tech station.

12. Oeks

Oeks Space Hobo

I've contacted chucklefish through every means I could, posted in their forums, emails, tweets, zero response. Considering this is how they're handling issues that are this wide spread, I've requested a refund through steam, I'm not going to continue with a game that has such shoddy development.

13. TailaChicken

TailaChicken Space Hobo

Same thing for me, game completely crashes when i try and activate the portal.

14. IsThatGouge

IsThatGouge Void-Bound Voyager

I've been playing Starbound since it's incredibly early days.

When 1.0 came out, it fixed a lot of problems, but made others, too. Up until around two days ago, I started getting this crash glitch as well. Exiting out of Tech Consoles, and the Gate to the Outpost, crashes you fatally, making the game stop as a whole. The Tech Console I found to only crash while looking at Leg Techs, or exiting, while the gate to the Outpost crashes you upon attempting to use the Shards you've collected, ( removing them as a whole when you start the game again ) and upon exiting the screen. I found this to be a problem caused by me having a few mods installed, but after deleting them, it still happened. I decided to delete my game, and tried again. The problem occured once more. I decided to delete all files, the game, everything. Upon starting again, I got the same results. Crash, after crash, after crash. This problem is incredibly recent. I was able to defeat the Final Boss and everything just a few days ago without any hinderance, until this came along. On servers such as ilovebacons, there has not been a single problem with me reaching the Outpost through the gate.

Gif of crashing in Tech Console - https://i.gyazo.com/d98abce147aa2f697ba2de2c7ed7ef65.gif

Gif of crashing from Outpost Console - https://i.gyazo.com/3a058c1460e3c0416a5e1d32dc283b47.gif

E D I T

I've attempted the Repair Robot, hearing it also crashes, and yes, it does. I was able to make it to the Outpost with help from a friend.

Gif of crashing from Repair Robot - https://i.gyazo.com/bea23d1086d8c482f0f091baad83451f.gif

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  15. claan22

claan22 Space Hobo

For everyone who can't get past this: it applies to that first Ancient Gate, the Tech Upgrade computer, and the Vehicle Repair robot in the Outpost. Beyond those three, 1.0.3 has been working fine on my Mac.

A workaround for the Ancient Gate was posted by Corractal in the other thread: basically, join a server (yours or somebody else's), and the player who activates the gate will crash, but the gate will still be activated after that (this workaround will not work for the Tech Console - you don't keep your upgrade).

16. moiv

moiv Space Hobo

It works on my Mac! I can pass the first planet gate now.
    Maybe it use the local server to temporally save the Portal informations.
    Here's what I do:
    1\ use Terminal to run a localserver, by running run-server.sh
    2\ open Starbound to join the localserver, hit "Join Server" and just fill up address "localhost"
    3\ go to the gate and activate the Portal, the game crash immediately.(dont mind)
    4\ shutdown the localserver, reopen Starbound, join the single player game, the gate is opened!