Bug/Issue Fatal crash of GOG version on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Support' started by vojski, Nov 4, 2014.

1. vojski

vojski Space Hobo

Hello,
    first, I would like to thank Halfway developers for releasing a Linux version.
    I bought the game today on GOG and installed the gog_halfway_1.2.0.3.deb package on my Ubuntu 14.04 system. I launched the game by clicking the icon in system menu.
    Everything looked fine until approaching the first enemy in starting area; the game crashed and whole system crashed with it - black screen, I had to reboot. Same thing happened at second try.
    At 3rd try, I launched the game from shell with start.sh script, to get some error output. This time I made it to second area, but game crashed again after engaging an enemy.

Code:
    Attack: Linda Carter rolled 10 and hit the target.
    Steam: Fulfilling achievement 'FIRST_STRIKE'.
    Steam: Fulfilling achievement 'FIRST_STRIKE'.
    config file: /opt/GOG Games/Halfway/game/Halfway64/config.json
    jar: /opt/GOG Games/Halfway/game/Halfway64/halfway-desktop.jar
    mainClass: com/robotality/halfway/Bootstrap
    vmArg 0: -Xmx1G
    jre: /opt/GOG Games/Halfway/game/Halfway64/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so
    #
    # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000000000000, pid=4205, tid=140280644699904
    #
    # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0-b31) (build 1.7.0-u45-unofficial-b31)
    # Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C  0x0000000000000000
    #
    # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
    #
    # An error report file with more information is saved as:
    # /opt/GOG Games/Halfway/game/Halfway64/hs_err_pid4205.log
    I attached a copy of the error report file.
    My system spec:
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB
    GPU: Intel GM965/GL960

I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Attached Files:

• Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

Hey @vojski
      Sadly we can not help you here. The problem is, that your GPU is below the minimum spec for Halfway (You need at least an Inter HD 3000). Your GPU has some driver issues that we can not solve.
      So you should consider to get a better GPU or if this is not an option try to get a refund by GOG.

Sorry that I can't give you an better option but the GM965 is just too low spec and has not really good driver support by Intel. :(

• vojski

vojski Space Hobo

Hi Seminus,
        you are right. I googled the subject and apparently drivers for this GPU tend to crash the Xorg server in other applications, too. I wasn't aware of the problem. The GPU itself, although old and slow, is OpenGL 2.1 capable and I didn't have any issues with it, until now. I'm about to upgrade my hardware soon anyway, I'll get back to the game after that.
        Thanks for quick response and for saving my time :)

• Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

yeah, we tried to fix it but it is totaly out of our hand and Intel rather wants to sell you a new chip instead of fixing such an old one. That is the way it works. I hope you will enjoy the game as soon as you have your new PC and let us know if you hit any problem then.