Far-fetched Theories and Paradoxes; The stuff that keeps you awake at night.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PWNn00bsdaily, Apr 29, 2016.

1. PWNn00bsdaily

PWNn00bsdaily Astral Cartographer

Well, I up all last night thinking of some of these, so have at it. Post more if you'd like.

What if, when we sleep, our soul or conscious goes on to control another person, say a child, without you knowing. You sleep 8 hours? That could be just a part of a child's day. If you do sleep, and its for, lets say 12+ hours, that could be a teenager or middle school student life it controls.

What if our existence is really just a mirror image from a past galaxy?
    (My physics teacher said this in class and really fucked with people)

What if alternate dimensions and universes really do exist, but your the last surviving copy of you?

As you read this, your future self will be looking back at this moment.

2. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

We have but one consciousness. Even if a million copies of us existed in other dimensions, this consciousness is the only one that matters to us. A centillion possibilities could exist, but what does it matter if we have no control over it?

I'd say, it's just better to not worry about it, especially something you could never really know for sure or have control over. Memento mori, carpe diem.

Never likes this.
  3. Megzzzx

Megzzzx Void-Bound Voyager

Time loops... like time just repeats itself. So some giant event ends the universe but at the same time is the Big Bang and starts the creation of the universe all over again. That is why we have Deja Vu.

4. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

Interesting theory, but I'd just like to say that time doesn't actually exist; it is a concept by people, and only we perceive it. Even if it did truly exist, it is very linear; it remains unchanged no matter how hard we try, ever continuing along the same unchanging path (time travel will never be possible; if it were, the person doing the time travelling would also be affected by the change in "time"). Before the universe, before the big bang; there was nothing but a dark abyss. This abyss doesn't even know of time's concept, it doesn't age and it cannot perceive age.

While time doesn't really exist, it does matter to us. We have changing seasons, we have a day and night. It is indeed a concept, but we subdue more to the rules of nature rather than time; nature and space are more like the true measurements of "time". Without a sun and moon (we would perish without them of course), without any source of reading time, our only indication of time would be relative to how we age and how tired we get. Even as stars die, the dark abyss would be unchanged by this. Excluding the dark abyss, everything just simply follows the rules of space, but not because of time.

PWNn00bsdaily and Megzzzx like this.
  5. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I often think that there are alternate realities and sometimes when we are asleep, our consciousness 'floats' to others. Maybe into yourself since you would have close to the same DNA, I'm talking only of the closest realities to ours. That is why sometimes we dream of people or places we don't know, but in the dream, we know them well.
    (I don't think that came out quite the way I'm thinking it)

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

If i was omnipotent, how could i improve the lives of people i like without being unfair? If i made one person's life better, they might feel bad that their loved ones aren't having better lives too, or others might get jealous.
    If i made everyone's lives perfect, would life be worth living? Society would come to a standstill. Everyone would have no need to do anything and would lounge around all the time like a cat in a sunbeam. That sounds boring.
    How would one handle omnipotence?

MilkCalf and Kashmir like this.
  7. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

In the arrow paradox, Zeno states that for motion to be occurring, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that in any one instant of time, for the arrow to be moving it must either move to where it is, or it must move to where it is not. It cannot move to where it is not, because this is a single instant, and it cannot move to where it is because it is already there. In other words, in any instant of time there is no motion occurring, because an instant is a snapshot. Therefore, if it cannot move in a single instant it cannot move in any instant, making any motion impossible.

MilkCalf and Kashmir like this.
  8. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

*Head explodes*

MilkCalf and PWNn00bsdaily like this.
  9. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

10. PWNn00bsdaily

MilkCalf, Kashmir and Zerukoba like this.
  11. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

That was extremely entertaining, thank you for that.

12. PWNn00bsdaily

No problem! I enjoy listening to it every once in a while.

13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

8 Culls: Zetta

14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One interesting Paradox -
    The hottest part of the sun is not on its surface, but actually outside located at the Corona ( space around ) of the sun.

[​IMG]

Arra and MilkCalf like this.
  15. lemon flavoured

lemon flavoured Aquatic Astronaut

The obvious thing that comes to mind is the Infinite Worldline Theory, which is interesting, and I believe it, certainly to some extent. I do also to a very limited extent believe that it's possible for quantum events to cause "Timeline slips" and might explain things like the Mandela Effect (although mostly that is probably false memories).

16. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Do you have some links or something so we can understand what you're talking about.

17. lemon flavoured

lemon flavoured Aquatic Astronaut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Essentially every decision / event creates a new parallel timeline, which all exist at once. I also happen to (weakly) believe that it's possible (or, "not impossible", which is not quite the same thing) for people to get shifted to nearby timelines by quantum events, which explains things like the Mandela Effect (which is where people, sometimes large groups of people) remember things that objectively didn't happen (the one that gives it it's name being that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 80s).

18. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Marvel has made a lot of multiverses in wich one minor detail has caused them to become completely different. The death of Spiderman (who usually deals with situations that consern the lives of a handfull people) causes a complete change in everyones fashion sence and alignement? Yeah, right...
    Peoples personalities change slowly and they tend to revert to their original ones.

lemon flavoured likes this.
  19. Chris1488

Chris1488 Phantasmal Quasar

DID SOMEONE SAY PARADOX?

PWNn00bsdaily likes this.
  20. Ursula

Ursula Guest

And here I am asking myself "What is a fish?"