Modding Discussion Fantasy Overhaul & Mod Collection

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Rune Sparrow, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Rune Sparrow

Rune Sparrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I’m just throwing this out there. I personally have very little modding, programming, or art experience. However, I would like to think that I might have decent ideas that I could contribute. I just can’t do it on my own. My personal interest would be in redesigning the characters, setting, and story of the game.

I would like to propose an idea and see who is interested in contributing. Cantorsdust has a thread that compiles all the mods and guides into a list. What I would like to do is start a project that compiles mods only of a certain theme that are (ideally) designed to work together to create one cohesive overhaul effect.

And of course, for this thread, that effect is fantasy!

There are some aspects of the game that hint at fantasy aspects: the Wizard, the dungeon-like mines, and the artifacts you can collect. But this is juxtaposed into a modern setting, with a Joja Mart, trailer home, trucks and buses… I’d like to take the game and gradually convert it to an all-fantasy setting.

I have a vision that I absolutely know I cannot complete by myself. But I can already foresee a problem with asking for help and contributions—not everything people want to add will agree with my tastes. And if I may be picky, certainly players may be as well. That is why I would hope this project could be carried out in a modular way, with features that players can pick and choose. Maybe you want to ride a dragon instead of a horse—maybe you don’t. Maybe you like the characters I design—maybe you don’t. I would hope that the mods that contribute to this compilation would be designed to be compatible with one another without relying on one another. But that may or may not be difficult to oversee or coordinate.

I am stating this currently as an idea. This is an interest check, and by no means a commitment on my end or anybody else’s. I would not discourage anyone from making any individual mods they wish to, but I would also not encourage jumping into development for this project just yet. I think first that time and thought should be given to design and collaboration. We would want to insure not only technical compatibility between features, but some degree of stylistic compatibility as well.

For my personal needs and ambitions, I want to ask: is there anyone who might be willing to create sprites and portraits for characters I design? Is there anyone willing to help design a new town?

Lastly, I will make it clear: While I could questionably say this is ‘my idea,’ it’s hardly a very original one. So I just want you guys to know that this project as a whole does not belong to me at any stage it may get to. Each feature and each ounce of work that goes into it belongs to the creator responsible. I hope that the ideas and mods that are shared here are shared in goodwill, for the benefit of everyone involved.

• asdasdgfrw

asdasdgfrw Title Not Found

I think you should share your idea here first to make people interested. Hoping that someone will be interested without knowing anything beforehand AND will keep being interested isn't very realistic.
      And don't be too ambitious - global mods aren't possible yet, look around - there are only cosmetic or gameplay changes of already existing things.

• Rune Sparrow

Rune Sparrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahaha. I don’t expect anyone to make any commitments to helping me out with my ideas without knowing what I want to do. But you make a good point. I was looking at it the other way—it hardly seemed worth the effort to come up with these character designs and start writing dialogue and such if I could never implement it into the game.

Also I see no problem with being ambitious. I don’t know about changing up the map, but from what I’ve seen most existing content could be edited to almost entirely reskin the game, without necessarily changing the mechanics or even adding anything new. To add new characters, all the existing ones could be redrawn, their dialogue rewritten, etc. Other capabilities may be possible in time.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

from what i can see form other mods,
          if you dont change door locations, animations, sizes etc, most maps and sprites can be edited without much hassle.

mainly unpacking, replacing an image, and repacking.
          simple stuff.

....problem is making them compatible with each other.
          the universe wont implode or anything, but a mod that changes the exterior of pierre's shop for example, will be editing the same file as one that changes joja mart's exterior (the town map)
          stitching it together in photoshop and repacking isnt something complicated, but its not something you typically expect the users who come here looking for a plug and play mod to have to do.

as long as they change different files, there's a nice program i use to help.
          JSGME.
          its a simple mod manager that works for basic folder and file management.
          great while you're trying to compile mods together, before you package them for the end users.