EXPLORABLE SUN AND GEAR TO DIVE ON MAGMA

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Dalmnolk, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Calm down the caps.

You cannot land on a sun, there isn't anything to land on.

Lavaproof armor would be op.

SonikaCain likes this.
  2. Boneslord

Boneslord Big Damn Hero

I support your point and also I remembered that someone said that your (lava-resistant) suit would overheat if you stayed in lava too long, killing you. Making the sun extremly hard to explore.

3. AlanteGrippa

AlanteGrippa Aquatic Astronaut

You can actually go down there with some basic ingenuity. Take advantage of your ability to place materials like cobblestone long distances to create a "cup". Fill the cup with any material you like so there's no lava left inside the lava. Remove your filler material, but keep the cup still there. Build another cup below the original, and fill it. Knock out the floor on the first cup, and remove your filler material. Rinse and repeat as desired or until you hit the bottom of the screen (yeah, there's nothing down there except a solid unbreakable barrier).

And yes, that means you can remove the molten core from the planet and replace it with anything you like.

As many others said, scientifically it'd be difficult to do with a planet's core. And practically impossible to do on a star's surface (due to the combined problems of intense gravity, heat, radiation, state of matter, pressure, and so forth).

Doing my best to not be rude here, but you explore Solar Systems every day on Starbound. A solar system is any system of celestial objects orbiting a star. Every planet / moon / asteroid field you go to is part of a Solar System.

You can't land on a star in the conventional sense. Assuming you had some magical Ultra-Impenetrable Thermodynamic Defying Gravity Blasting full body suit on, you'd instantly fall through the surface. A star isn't solid. Their largest constituent is hydrogen plasma undergoing nuclear fusion as another poster touched on. Trying to walk on a star, would be like trying to walk on air, but even more difficult because hydrogen is lighter than helium, which is twice as light as air. So you'd quite obviously have one glaring problem: you can't walk around, heck you can't even swim. You'd be pulled deep into the star until you settled into the densest part of the star unless you had some magical transportation backpack which could work underneath fusing hydrogen plasma in potentially dozens (if not hundreds) of atmospheres of pressure, and give you enough upward thrust that you could surpass the star's gravitational pull and the massive amount of resistance posed by said plasma. Of course said "magical backpack" would consequently have the capability to de-orbit moons if not entire planets within a matter of minutes assuming it just relied on thrust.

All hypotheticals aside. Any "ore" near the surface of a star would have been vaporized, and as the laws of gases tell us, dispersed evenly across the star dependent on temperature and planets orbiting it. Meaning: there's nothing to mine. Unless of you course you'd like some hydrogen, helium, and those kinds of things. Metals on the other hand, you'd have better odds with a vacuum in a gas giant.

A boss near/in a planet's core I'd have no objection to. Some form of hellish fish or a tentacle monster would be interesting to say the least. A boss on a star... Well, the implications of a star's physics as I stated earlier speak for themselves.

Unless you're a serious physics / astronomy lover, there's not much to look for on a star. Temporary anomalies (like sunspots), different levels of temperature, different elemental constituents, and different kinds of stars. It'd be much more practical to build a planet (or planet sized space station) before building on a star.

So in other words: the "random" button that's in your starship's navigational computer. We can do beyond light speed travel with what is probably about a truck full of coal. There'd be no point or reason to do such a thing. I'm not going to say that black holes can't fling you to some far out location, but it's near pointless to even think about using them for transportation under the current Starbound system (since it takes 200 fuel to go to the solar system next to yours, or across the entire sector from you). And speaking realism / sci-fi wise, said black hole would shred you to atoms travelling at extreme speeds if you were letting it accelerate you on its own and not slingshot around it (an orbital slingshot though is MUCH more feasible realism wise, but still very dangerous, albeit pointless given Starbound's interstellar transportation + starship fuel systems).

Of course; the obvious counterpoint to everything I just said is: "Why not make stars solid? It's a game, and doesn't have to follow reality."
    Well, I'll just say this in anticipatory response: I (and likely the majority of the community) would rather have Starbound stay Sci-Fi, and not give its middle finger to all laws of physics / reality and become some game of magical space travelling humanoids that flagrantly do everything that's impossible just for what is best defined as "YOLO".

So, that's the end of my in-depth response. <Edited out what was said here because I felt it appeared passive-aggressive>

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

There's nothing in a planet's core but molten rock and an inner core so dense it would be impossible to mine.

Traveling inside a star is ridiculous and a bad idea because there would be nothing to see.

Black Holes don't transport you to different places in space/time, those are Wormholes. While I would like to see Black Holes complete with Accretion Discs in the game, they would be functionally identical to Stars, only differing in appearance.

SonikaCain likes this.
  5. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

Don't forget about the fact that a star is essentially a giant nuclear reactors, also all the iron in your blood would get ripped out due to the magnetic field. I don't know about you but I'm happy with the lava ocean planets.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  6. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Who puts a dungeon on the surface of a sun?!

well, aside from novakids..

7. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

Two things about this post:
    1. When you said "SOO... WHAT IF WE CAN MAKE SOME GEAR TO REFREGERATE OUR BODY AND DIVE ON MAGMA? AND FIND SOME NEW ORES AND DUNGEONS!", It was hilarious how you said "Refrigerate". Your Starbound character is a Floran, most likely.
    2.If your ship even TRIED to hover around a star in a position to beam you down, your ship would melt and explode killing everyone and everything in the ship and melting it into liquid.

8. Brockster17

Especially if you were a glitch. :nope: :rip:

9. Brockster17

YOU WANT AN EXPLORABLE SUN, EH? WELL YOU ARE IN LUCK! WITH ABSOLUTElY NO MODS, YOU CAN EXPLORE A SUN SIZED (literally) PLANET! HERE ARE SOME COORDINATES! (they may not work depending on what platform you are on)

Bacchus V
    x:64113498
    y:-7712037716

The system is named "Bacchus". Type:"Binary Star". wut the wut.
    Bacchus V is a ENORMOUS planet located... basically touching the sun. It is larger that any planet i've seen. It is 16000 sectors large! Can you believe it?

S.A.I.L's geological scan:
    An ocean covered planet spotted with islands and teeming with life. My reading indicate that there is a great deal of activity in the depths of the waters.

10. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Ah, that's part of a mod that changes universe generation. I think it's the UniGen mod.

xaliber likes this.
  11. Brockster17

12. Rocko_Dan

Rocko_Dan Void-Bound Voyager

The idea sounds okay, but the logic in landing on a star doesn't seem to make sense to me. A star is full of gas, plasma, fire, etc. There's no solid what so ever. Aswell as this, the pressure from the star would highly likely crush the person exploring the star, even if they have heat-resistant armour. And instead of having new dungeons in lava oceans, they could add it to maybe poison oceans, as that'll make a lot more sense.