Dev Blog Experimental Changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by SamuriFerret, Feb 19, 2016.

2. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

This looks really good, I am going to wait for the stable update to avoid bugs, glitches and shit, but I'd love to hear what nightly testers have to say about this.
    Planet variety is one of the major changes this game needed.

teilnehmer, Lavranzo and Corraidhín like this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Planet Variety - Some of it makes no sense. Like... a scorched city on a forest world. It is clear that the sub biomes were designed specifically for the worlds they were originally on. So those that wanted more verity... well, you got it, and honestly, it sucks. Smashing everything together is not the right way to go about it.

Inventory Management - New tab helps out. No issue there.

Dungeon/Village content - More is better here, so long as it is appropriate.

Performance - Ill have to test this one out some more.

Sylxeria, Fluff, Crossfang and 8 others like this.
  4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Ah, but does this massive change to planet generation mean that biomeHueShift will apply to a biome's subBlocks again? Pleasesayyes.

Relten and toby109tt like this.
  5. InfinityBringar

InfinityBringar Void-Bound Voyager

"Major performance change".

Best thing about this in my opinion. Seriously thank you! :DD

6. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Biome randomization is problematic for two reasons; overpowered biome items and nonsensical stuff (Moon biomes outside of the moon?). It's a good idea, but man does it need some work! Also, there's no ocean sub biomes as far as I could see. We need those!

Lavranzo, Flake13, toby109tt and 2 others like this.
  7. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

I guess that, if a scorched city biome appears on a forest world (following the example of lazarus), it'll be done so that it does not contain any overpowered item/ore for the current world difficulty. Otherwise it would make no sense. I highly doubt it will be that way.
    Also, the "moon biomes outside of the moon" happens for real?

8. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

I think you misinterpret this news. I got an impression from the news that planet may contain multiple biomes (yay, at last! :D), but sub-biomes will still match parent biome. There is no word about assigning sub-biomes to biomes completely randomly, only that multiple sub-biomes can occur per planet as a result of multiple biomes being there. That's major difference.

Anyway, I love the news. Multiple biomes per planet were something that I missed from the very beginning and I'm now really excited to try Starbound again after a long break (as soon as experimental changes will go life :)). Hopefully biomes will have different hues, because that's also really good for visual variety... and it seems they will, judging from the screen with black blocks :).

Flake13 likes this.
  9. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

More than one primary biome in a planet? That's good. Though they should remain consistent...say, Forest and Lush biomes make sense to go together. As so Desert and Barren. Forest and Desert could make sense if there was some transition, and forest with snowy stuff could work as well.

Tossing random biomes together isn't that great, but is a step in the right direction. I look forwards to what will be done with the new combination of biomes! Maybe we can have a variety of weather again, rather than weather being tied to biomes...

Relten, Heartstrings, Flake13 and 5 others like this.
  10. karlowaty

karlowaty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What i'd like to see is :
    -while chest/box/craft window is open i want to close it just by pressing esc - it would be so much easier
    -inventory trash/bin - make it instant (like terr....) and it would be nice to have alt or ctrl combination with left/right click to just take it there instead of doing this with mice(to long)

Everything else for now is almost perfect. im on nightly from the start. ty for good work and keep it up.

PLS RESPOND IF MY REQUEST IS EVEN POSSIBLE TO DO TY

toby109tt likes this.
  11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I spoke from experience, and reading the diff logs. This is a real thing.

Code:
    >           "primaryRegion" : ["forest"],
    >           "secondaryRegions" : ["alien", "barren", "garden", "jungle", "moon", "scorchedcity", "volcanic"],
    >           "dungeons" : ["floranhutvillage", "humancamp", "hylotlcity", "glitchsewer", "apexresearchlab", "apextestchamber", "aviantomb", "aviantower", "humanbunker", "floranhuntinggrounds", "glitchcastle", "humanprison", "aviantemple", "avianairship", "floranhell"]

Moon forests... No, not the Endor kind of forest moon...

- You can already press escape.
    - Instant trash is possible. I did it for myself in a personal mod.

12. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

The thing about treasure is that there's flat treasurepools. All scorched city chests will always have scorched city loot, for example.

And yes, moon biomes on non-moons really happens. Dungeons and dungeon contents can still spawn in them, unlike actual moon biomes, but no enemies, NPCs, crops, or anything else spawn.

13. karlowaty

karlowaty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i always get menu option after pressing esc and craft/box/chest windows is still visible. need to check it brb

Edit: yep esc is working didn't notice ty Lazarus78.
    You did mod for instant trash thats nice, but what about right click or left+ctrl/alt button to take items there?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    toby109tt likes this.
  14. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I think the biggest issue right now is the one that a lot of us are already complaining about on this thread... Planet variety. Putting two completely different biomes together in ways that make no sense, makes no sense... Maybe there should be an extra variable for biomes to factor in. Because unless you bump up the planet sizes tenfold and make the biome transition between one another with a gradient, I think that climate and how well they all fit together should be factored in... Because, let's be honest, scorched biomes and jungles don't mix... Scorched, volcanic, irradiated, industrialized, and desert all mix... Tar and midnight mix... Forest and flower mix... Flesh and slime probably mix... Volcanic and frozen ocean... Would be cool, but really, unless you plan to make proper combination sub biomes between each combination of drastically different biomes, no... Wish I could help more, but I'm no professional. Just a community member voicing my opinion...

15. This is still being experimented with, but the current pass of this only matches planets that visually work together. The combinations in the current nightly were picked based on what we felt worked together after testing them in-game. So whilst it's unlikely that we'll make frozen and volcanic planets go together, combinations like desert, volcanic and scorched city produce really interesting planets. Some combinations may look strange on paper, but I'd recommend trying them out!

Sub-biomes still only appear as part of their main biome, of course.

16. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Now that I think about it... Volcanic biome next to a frozen steampunk spring might actually look really cool! Woo! Weird combinations FTW!

Ankali and Flake13 like this.
  17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

well its experimental so i can't give any downs or ups comments about that yet as long as its not like the so called ''experimental'' they did in the beta of don't starve where they remove one of the key elements about the game the inventive bar :cry: oh how i miss it its just not the same without or like they did in runescape :cry:

anyway really like the new inventory bar thanks for that good job :up:

i do know that there are some planets that stands completly still and is frozen on one side and melting hot on the ohter side maybe there should be one of that in starbound

also sorry for naging but plz put a plain not ocean radioactive poison planet in starbound pretty plz

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  18. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

On the planet variation: Can we still retain some single-biome planets? Variation on the planets is cool, but having some single-biome would be nice to have as well :(

Titanium, toby109tt and Solzucht like this.
  19. MetalRawr

MetalRawr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is this also a place to comment on changes we'd LIKE? Because I really think weapons should have more special moves, so each type of weapon has more than 1 special attack. You can later maybe make a weapon crafting system to determine which attack youd like on a weapon. Speaking of weapon special attacks... I havent played for a while, but they use energy, right? That kind of makes combat slower- you have to choose between moving fast and hitting hard, if weapons used a different bar (like shields have health), I think that'll make combat a lot more exciting.

20. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

Why are people assuming that the biomes will clash?
    Also, I would like to present to you an example of a planet where there are oceans and deserts and scorched places and volcanos and mountains: the Earth!