Modding Help Expanded Character Select (not creation)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by McKaby, Feb 7, 2017.

1. McKaby

McKaby Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have to admit, I haven't created a mod for a game since C&C Tib Sun, so I am rusty as hell, but one thing I am looking at, and trying to figure out where to start is the Character Select page.

Basically what I am trying to do is give is so we can have more than 4 up on the screen at one time, I wasn't able to find one or where to begin, or even if it's possible.

So, the two-fold question: Where would I start looking, and did someone already make one?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you haven't done that already, you'll need to unpack the game assets: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/

The files you're looking for are /interface/title/charselectionbackground.png and /interface/windowconfig/charselection.config

I think all that you'll need to do is edit the .png to make it bigger, then add some "charSelectorX" in the .config file. The 4 defaults are apparently espaced with 50 pixels each.

Once you're done, you just need to recreate the same file architecture for the files you modified, so that your mod have the same directories as the assets one, and place your modified files in the same place as the original assets where, so that the mod overwrite the original assets.

3. McKaby

Well that's a bugger, as no matter what I try, I have never succeeded in actually GETTING a .pak file unpacker to actually work, everytime I have tried ones that people link me to, they don't work, I will have to dig around to find out there, but hopefully it's doable.

If I succeed in that, next is trying to make it a little less like a list and smaller panels, but first thing first, a .pak system that works.

4. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

5. McKaby

Well, it seems that according to the developer Metadept on the Discord server, it isn't going to work, it's so deep in the code it's practically a re-write to get it to work.