1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Excellent Job Chucklefish

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Exactly 3 years ago today I registered on these forums to support what I hoped was gonna be the new game changer in random gen sandbox games. happy 3rd bday to me! lol.

It's been 2 years and some change since I played SB, I stopped in February 2014 a couple of months after the closed beta was released when the new road map was revealed and I didn't like the direction the game was taking from it's original inception. Mind u I did put over 100 hours into the beta very quickly and was having a blast, I just didn't like the new roadmap and update schedule.

So yesterday I decided it was time to give it another go since 1.0 official came out and WOW. The intro and story is fantastic, I was not expecting to be on earth during it's destruction. Everything is so streamlined now, I feel a little bad for ever doubting this games progress. On the other hand I am glad I took the break that I did, it's a refresher from what I was used to during the closed beta. It's like a whole new game now.

I just wanted to say congratulations on the release and GREAT JOB on the game, I'll be playing through the story as my Glitch master race toon and experience all the new content!

P.S. You rule for publishing Stardew valley, it's an excellent game.

P.P.S. the one Glitch head mod and only one I used in my time playing "the one in my avatar" was removed from the game, I ask why? It was my favorite one :(

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Jonesy, Tamorr and Shadox2.0 like this.
  2. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Ah happy to see the title wasnt ironic ^^
    And yes i agree , congrat to them x)

About the head try to find a mod maybe ?

Noobgalaxies, Inf_Wolf14 and Ankali like this.
  3. Yup I'll definitely have to find a mod that has the head, it's just not really "me" without that head mod lol.

4. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

yes i understand ^^ , and if never nobody make one already you can post a polite mod request , i'll support and community is realy open and friendly here x)

5. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I remember you from all the way back then! glad to see you like the game

6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

oh... Welcome back. :nuruhappy:

haven't seen you around these parts in a while. I have been keeping a watch since I got the game in december 2013. I was one to enjoy the direction they were taking, although didn't follow any sort of road map. Mainly just kept an eye on the dev blog posts, and conversed a little with the changes. They sure did change a whole lot.

I myself am enjoying the game for what it is. The story, what I have seen of it is simple, but acceptable. Could be expanded upon though... that is another topic... Regardless it has improved upon lots of things that I actually do within game; upon my playstyle. Nice to see another congrats thread, that isn't saturated in cynic irony. Although many of the ones I've seen wasn't as bad as way back when during like the 2014-2015 changes.

I have only played early giraffe but stopped there for a time and only went to check certain things on nightly when they came about(roughly about only 2 times on that), however didn't really play till 1.0 was in final stages on the unstable branch. So that is when I started playing again here and there where I can. So many games to distract me. :nurutease:

Stardew Valley, such a great game...

7. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm on exactly the same boat here, and I truly think a lot of the people complaining about this game are just people who got burned out on it. I played a *lot* of the game very early on, and then I took a very long break only to pick the game back up in 1.0. True enough the game has problems and I do remember a few pieces of content that are currently missing, but for the most part I was very pleasantly surprised and since it came out officially I've probably put as many hours as I had before into it, with no sign of stopping any time soon.

8. Proginoskes

Proginoskes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I started on Glad Giraffe, had a blast for many months (I forgot how long exactly), then got distracted.
    Then, I came back and realized there was an update... I didn't anticipate what was to come.

I have a feeling that I won't leave Starbound in a long, long time.

9. Rizki291

Rizki291 Void-Bound Voyager

Best game tho i really really like the story and the sandbox idea, and its so fun, ive always played ths game to kill my boredom

10. MidniteSteve

MidniteSteve Phantasmal Quasar

Welcome back Beta, Glad to find a positive post floating around

11. Proginoskes

The storyline is integrated surprisingly well, considering it's a sandbox game.
    I love the ending, too!

12. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

personaly the only thing i dislike (well dislike enough to b*tch about it) that changed after relaese are:

story: there atually nothing about wrong with this, but i preffered the, you are lost in universe, no idea what to do, were to go... (dont get me wrong EA didnt have story *ehm well y ou know* it would better if you play the game and find (randomly)something to find your clue on what when wherethat is i you would not ingore the clue :)
    but generaly its not so bad AND it could always ended up worse

and planet generation: , now (if you play first time) you basicly land on your 3rd-4th planet and you already know how it gonna look like, and what is gonna be there

13. florinblain

florinblain Subatomic Cosmonaut

I never played this game before 1.2 and I think it's pretty awesome. Tonnes of content and cool minigames, building mechanic is pretty enjoyable, exploration is very enjoyable and the progression is for the most part quite well done. Kept me playing for a couple months now, and interested me enough to play around with modding it, so hey. Only thing I don't like is how the whole Protectorate thing feels a bit tacked on, which clicked into place in my head once I realised that the original story was vastly different, but that's not such a big deal. They could fix it in a number of ways if they wished to, by either developing the Protectorate better or making them human-specific and giving other races their own thing.

14. Proginoskes

...Yeah, now that I realize, the Protectorate doesn't seem to influence the galaxy enough. You'd think that, them being somewhat of the "heroes" of the story, you'd find more evidence in the world that they actually exist! NPCs never comment on if you're in a Protectorate uniform or not (Especially since I have a feeling the Miniknog aren't exactly on good terms with the Protectorate, but they seem to ignore you), and news never gets out about how far you've gotten into the story. Nobody cares if you were victorious in the Hunting Caverns, or took down "Big Ape" (probably just a symbol for the Miniknog's authority) or "killed" the Bone Dragon, or even saved the universe from a giant tentacle monster. Some people would like some recognition!

...Do you think Chucklefish will do anything about that?

15. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

I kinda had a similar experience. I hadn't played since closed Beta and recently came back, and I'm super impressed as well. =3

16. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

The destruction of Earth is hard not to hear about, but the actions of a handful of people are pretty easy to miss. Erchius Facility would be snuffed out in any media outlet the corporation has any influence over. Same with Miniknog and the attack there.
    Floran hunt is pretty obscure to most races, only the best hunters of each tribe would be aware of who won and they'd probably only remember Nuru being there and forget about the player since they expected Nuru to win in the first place.
    The grand library was in ruins and obviously wasn't well-known at that point. Only the Ark knew about it. No one knew anything about the ruin at all and you destroyed it to the knowledge of only The Ark. There aren't any security checks, but no one at The Outpost actually wanders over to the Ark. I don't think anyone knows what's up with The Ark and the remainder of the Protectorate.

So... No, very few people would be able to give you recognition.

17. florinblain

florinblain Subatomic Cosmonaut

You would expect all Floran to know about the Great Hunt... similarly you would expect all Apex rebels to know you destroyed Big Ape and you would expect the Miniknog to attack you on sight for it, but none of that happens. And no one ever really mentions the Protectorate at all despite the fact that it supposedly represented the joint interests of all of the playable races, which still bothers me.

I'm also unclear on how very insular or splintered societies were represented by the Protectorate in the first place, for example how could they represent the Glitch, the majority of whom are trapped in a delusion? Or the Apex, who are ruled by the Miniknog and engaged in a civil war? The Protectorate definitely strikes me as the game's biggest weakness. But oh well.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The Protectorate Code
    We are the Terrene Protectorate. From our home on Earth, we bring our message to the people of the universe.
    We accept any race, class, or religion. We offer homes, guidance, education and safety.
    Our aim is for unity and harmony across the universe.
    Our arms are open to all.​

The Protectorate does not appear to be like the UN in that there are political representatives there. It's a Human-started organization that accepts members from any race. There WOULDN'T be a Miniknog delegate (or really any "delegates"), but there would be plenty of Apex who thought that maybe getting away from the Miniknog would be a good idea. It'd be a place where a Glitch who had been disconnected from the medieval programming loop could turn to.

(And the player really only took out a singular Big Ape weaponized facsimile, not the actual government. There's any number of ways the still-in-power Miniknog could propaganda that up. Hell, the wording of the document you find can still be twisted to allow them to say Big Ape is a Real Living Apex For Sure.)

DraikNova and krylo like this.
  19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Not to mention that given the level of control the Miniknog have, they could entirely prevent any Apex citizen from even hearing about what you did, or making it sound like a tall tale if people did hear of it.