Enhanced Graphics Option - HQ4x or xBRZ scaling

Discussion in 'Other' started by Creadoris, Jan 1, 2014.

?

Do you support adding HQ4x or xBRZ scaling in enhance the visuals?

1. Yes, I like the idea being able have the option of better visuals

83.7%
  2. No, I prefer blocky pixels

20.4%
  1. Creadoris

Creadoris Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,

As an addition I believe a post process hq4x or xBRZ option would greatly enhance the graphical charm/appearance of this game ten fold.

Such scaling has been used very successfully over many console emulators. A comparison can be seen below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The improvements speak for themselves. Of course, those who have low end CPUs or simply do not like it , would have the option to disable the feature.e

EDIT:

See here for better comparisons:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...rovement-with-hq-filter-or-super-eagle.19503/

Be sure to come back here and vote if you support the idea.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Measuring

Measuring Tentacle Wrangler

Indeed, I know these technologies from GBA emulators. Sounds like a good idea! I wonder how difficult it is to implement this kind of rendering.

3. Creadoris

Creadoris Void-Bound Voyager

They are quite good. I wonder what program he used to create his comparison. As for not liking them, that is fine. That's what the toggle option would be for.

4. Bearminator

Bearminator Subatomic Cosmonaut

I kinda feel i need it. Terraria style and "pixels" were just .. feeling fine, but here in SB i feel there's something wrong with the graphics (i don't know what exactly, but the whole graphic style feels "cold" and dead, even the UI style seems poor). I would really aprreciate a mod to apply this filters.

DJYawe and F-Dog like this.
  5. DuB

DuB Subatomic Cosmonaut

who the hell klicked no? it`s about an option, god damn yu fuckin egoistic fool :D

6. F-Dog

F-Dog Space Spelunker

I'm all for these filters, for me this will evolve Star Bound beyond Terraria, I really hope they include filters as a selectable option, it's my preference but I feel It will improve the gaming experience.

DJYawe, Cipherstar and DuB like this.
  7. 4verse

4verse Subatomic Cosmonaut

is there already a (modded) graphics filter?

8. SaraGames

SaraGames Void-Bound Voyager

Please don't let this idea die. I've been looking into it a lot over the last few days. One way that I see it could possibly be done is with one of the HQX or supereagle or XBR shaders in HLSL shader language paired with SweetFX. This is a possibility for modders, though I have not been able to find a shader version compatible with SweetFX as of yet. We may need to find someone who can write small changes to the shaders to make them work with SweetFX if Chucklefish never sees these type of posts.
    Long story short, it can be done! We...just have to figure out how. :p

F-Dog likes this.
  9. F-Dog

F-Dog Space Spelunker

We need to get other players voting on the Pol heading this thread, there's only 12 at the moment I'm writing this, it's hardly enough to stimulate change. C'mon peeps spread the word!

10. SaraGames

Still crossing my fingers that someone comes along and decides to make this work.

11. F-Dog

F-Dog Space Spelunker

It may be worth adding a signature panel with a Link to the vote pol, at least that will spread the word across the forums and encourage others to join our cause!

Vote HERE to include a an option for a Graphical improvement filter for Star Bound

12. F-Dog

F-Dog Space Spelunker

• There's another game Chuckle fish is publishing called Treasure Adventure World whom have upgraded their pixelated graphics to a lovely crisp style, I'd very much like to see Star Bound look like that game.

EXAMPLE 1

EXAMPLE 2

EXAMPLE 3

Vote HERE to include a an option for a Graphical improvement filter for Star Bound

DJYawe likes this.
  13. SaraGames

Oh wow that looks so good that would be perfect! :D Aww cute. Thanks for posting that!

14. DuB

DuB Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bump cause this is so important to me

15. XeToRoG

XeToRoG Void-Bound Voyager

Hey really nice to see some guys find the filter good.

Filter for Gpu: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/blob/master/xbr/xbr-lv3.cg
    For Cpu (did these test-images with it): https://code.google.com/p/2dimagefilter/downloads/list

View attachment 33289
    View attachment 33290
    View attachment 33291
    View attachment 33292
    View attachment 33293
    View attachment 33294
    View attachment 33295

Just found this 'Mod' for Terraria. Pretty much what I searched for. If i find some time I'll do this with Starbound:
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/hq2x.78818/

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  16. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I'm surprised someone took the time to manually do this for Terraria, since the game doesn't actually run at 2×. I doubt even using filters would work very easily or fully with Starbound, due to how the zoom level functions; Have you noticed that sprite rotation looks a bit odd on zoom levels above 1×?

17. TheDaltonBaker

TheDaltonBaker Void-Bound Voyager

Have you found anything new?

18. DJYawe

DJYawe Void-Bound Voyager

Bump this because I can't stand the pixelated characters, but i could live with the pixelated everything else lol.

19. SaraGames

boulotar2024 has a new injector with extra sweet fx shaders maybe someone can come up with a preset that smooths it using those. i failed. :( just google search for boulotar2024 sweetfx if you want to find his files.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  20. diegopau

diegopau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there any new about this? I remember Tiy showing some pictures with a kind of graphic filter a while ago on reddit, I thought it was going to be included soon!