Engineering in Spaceships

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Pairjax, May 28, 2017.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Super Yay

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Meh

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Super Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pairjax

Pairjax Void-Bound Voyager

So, to start off, I've noticed that the most recent update has been rather focused around space, so I thought it would be good to put a pitch related to that particular concept.

I think that adding some functionality to being able to tinker with your ship would be awesome, especially since we see so many of the npcs being able to do stuff like that themselves. But to be fair, it can be a bit hard to see what could be added in this direction of gameplay.

Making ship interiors customizable, in a way akin to the space stations in the more recent dev blog, would be something all builders would praise you for until all eternity. However, I realize that this is something that would take not only time to develop on the coding side, but would be especially tedious for the art designers who have to custom design each ship tier, so I don't really hold it against you if you don't have this planned any time in the near future.

-=-

I think the thing I would like to see in the near future is the ability to add extra ship lockers, and compact versions of crafting stations build like the ship lockers. You could have crafting stations/storage lockers attached to the wall, and more compact. They would be more expensive, but take up less space. However, they wouldn't be blocks that you placed. They would be like the ship locker in the fact that they become integrated into the ship and you can't remove them, but they are overall better. You would be able to place them through SAIL through a GUI.

-=-

I think this is easy to add, not very art-intensive, and provides a new use for SAIL. To be honest, the real reason I want this is that I feel like the ship could be so much more. The promise of having SAIL be a more persistent buddy which you go to for the ship needs, and also the ability to mess with your ship and get cool new results. I think we all want space battles, and if you guys would actually put that into use, I'm sure you'll use SAIL to be able to add weaponry to your ship. But if I'm really going crazy, maybe in the future we could have locations where we could launch mechs out of our spaceships, and have docking bays for other ships.

But for now, I'll keep it simple by saying- for now, I think it would be cool to be able to add more ship lockers through SAIL, as a base for what SAIL could do in the future.

STCW262 likes this.
  2. mrorzonki PL

mrorzonki PL Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be good idea if the ships where customizable, but in the way that when you upgrade ship you can chose one of couple variants of rooms (different shape or instead of one big 2 small) or and connectors (like in Novakid train for example) between them or the places for doors.

It would cause less freedom of building than in case of space stations, but in that system it would be easier to keep the ship in the style of its original race.

Armorine1983 likes this.