1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback engineer is overpowered

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LALM, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

Considering the ghosts which chase you now on the moons collecting enough fuel has become a lot harder.

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

not much you just speed through and grab the fluids that gets you a lot just have a teleporter with you for emergency get out when you are deep or try to stay more on the upper parts where you can emergency beam out..

TheFloranChef likes this.
  3. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

They do get pretty fast after collecting a ton. I've had some close calls, and one or two death calls as well. (Silly me tried fighting them once. That didn't work out too well xD)

4. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

I hope they do get this fixed, ha ha!

5. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

Why do people always want to nerf something that can only benefit them, while not harming others. It is highly illogical.

Hawklaser likes this.
  6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Becuse they want a challenging (or rather intressting, but things tend to get rather lacking if theres not challenge at all) and balanced gameplay experience. And please dont say "just dont use it", becuse it dosent necessarly work that way with human minds.

7. Kaede Grimwater

I am not a fan of saying "just don't use it" anyway. But I am getting really sick of people wanting a challenge, because it never ends, and if the devs take it to far, it becomes a game only the top tier of pro players can enjoy. Mods exist for this game, if they want star souls, or dark bound, or whatever masochistic difficulty, then they can find a mod.

*sigh* I am sorry, I have just seen far too many games ruined because people wanted a challenge.

Nate McCloud and Noir Korrane like this.
  8. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

I have to say.... If your willing to do the work for the engineer I think he should be that good... I just wished they upped the usefulness of the ground Crew. Medics and Chemis need a real boost

9. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Having no challenge at all quickly removes any intresst. That said it dosent need to be at the level of the games you mentioned. Its all about having a balance that most players enjoy (or if your aiming for a niche market your target playerbase enjoys).

And theres also many different kinds of challenge, if you for example are only playing this game for the building aspects, then your idea of challenge might be to build a nice looking house. But on the other hand you might not want to be given a finished nice looking house with every necessary function that makes it completely useless to build your own.

So the word means different things depending on what you want.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Hawklaser likes this.
  10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well a proepr desigend game just caters both soem parts for the pro's but not vital parts of the game and some casual ones. But soemhwo too many devs either go th full way or 0. thats generaly the wirst developer sickness ever. eithr blakc or white never the shades inbetween. Like the current material values. So because of a few having unsuited prices. BOOM all doen to 0 value. GG - thats now how balance works.

11. Kaede Grimwater

I play to explore. This has been getting progressively more difficult. Progressively fewer movement techs, progressively stronger enemies, ect. Sure the game doesn't need to be that difficult, but it will be, I have seen it before. A never ending cycle, a never ending cry for challenge. It happened on Warframe, it happened on Star Trek Online, I don't want it to happen to Starbound.

12. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The problem with challenge and games, is the better a person gets at playing said game, the less challenge it usually offers as what used to be hard to do becomes easy. Make things too easy, and you may as well have just made an interactive movie as unless the story is insanely good most won't play through more than a couple of times. Now if you have optional areas that stay or even better get harder as one goes, it helps keep the interest of more players for longer, which means more playthroughs and more chances they will try and get others to play as well. The trick to keeping things satisfying for all, is finding a balance so those who don't want to do the super challenging stuff don't feel locked out of content like what happens with MMORPG's and their end game raids, but also offer just enough of an incentive to keep people trying to clear more and more of the challenging content, think of things like High Scores on games like Tetris. Tetris wasn't complicated at all, however as one gets better at the game they clear more and more lines, and the game starts adding challenge by speeding things up, or letting a player choose to add more initial junk lines to deal with, but if there was no challenge behind a game like Tetris people wouldn't try and get better to beat their own personal bests or their friends, as an example.

13. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

Well if your engineers have found a way to travel across space without disturbing purple moon ghosts you should be happy

14. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not sure how STO was ruined by people crying for challenge, to my knowledge it hasn't been yet.. I still play it regularly - my Starbound forum avatar is part of a commissioned art piece featuring my STO character.

More on topic, I think the engineer should be powerful, maybe reducing the need for fuel by 20-50%, but it should not negate the need for fuel entirely!

15. Kaede Grimwater

It can be a real ***** for average players to get anything done in a timely fashion. This was most apparent during the period after the delta rising expansion, but it has gotten slightly better. The biggest problems are the Antiproton elitists who worship their dps numbers. Of course the game is too easy if you melt anything that you fight. Instead of not using a broken build, they scream for more challenge, to which the devs easily cave and give them.

These types also put healboats/debuffers/disablers like me out of a job. >.>

Edit: we really shouldn't discuss this here, it might derail the thread more than it already has been.

16. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Who knows what they are using for fuel...

17. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

Hey pets and combat crew members are next to useless!!! Somebody had to pick up the slack somewhere!!! The engineer was grumbling like "Damn these guys getting a free place to stay with the best body guard in the universe and only doing one damage this is bs man I'm going to actually EARN my keep!!" #bestlightyearspergallon #engineermvp

18. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

This is a sci-fi game, and technically, infinite energy machines are impossible. However, with this glitch, your engineer has effectively made an infinite energy machine in your ship, which doesn't make sense. Fuel efficiency is one thing, but all things have their limits. It's one of the many things (bugs) that break immersion.

19. Kaede Grimwater

Having to stop what I am doing and go mine a moon every few jumps also breaks immersion.

20. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Mine a moon? I just buy fuel, since food spoils now, I just sell surplus. Between that and my Gardenbots running constantly on my ship, I have plenty to sell.

But, back to the engineers, it costs me 0 fuel to go anywhere I've seen so far. I can foresee them putting in a cap for it.