1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Endgame prize! That last race.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kelthazan, Jun 29, 2015.

?

Ancient race as an endgame reward?!

1. Mhm.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Nuhuh.

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Reward? I want it now!

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure if this should be in Suggestions or not, but... Wouldn't it be neat if after you finished the Main Story you could play one of the Ancients? Finish the story and that last empty box would fill in with a Caretaker (whatever they look like under them robes) o 0o you'd get your own ancient/super advanced ship and items that shout "Hey, I actually finished the game!"

2. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

Kinda, but not really.. The idea of a nifty cosmetic thing unique to finishing the game is a good idea, but making that thing a playable race isn't.. It is better to have all playable races available from the start and not being hindered because of story progression.. Maybe make it a neat vanity armor or back item or both? I'm thinking a nice back item with a particle effect tied to it would be a nice reward.. Also, keep in mind, most of the people who play daily (or almost daily) would end up "unlocking" the mystery prize within a few days if they don't /admin their way to the end in less than an hour.. With that in mind, finishing the game isn't that hard.. Doing it legit, however is slightly "harder" but that is due to the illusion of difficulty from RNG not spawning the dungeon you need to get the decoration you need to progress..

Ehksidian likes this.
  3. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I like that idea but the reward isn't really satisfying unless starbound have only 2 races to choose from the start.

Regarding about the ship, if you obtain it in your character after the game, your original ship (lets assume your racial ship got decorated and has chests and stuffs) will be useless and maybe upon acquiring it could alter the wall designs, items or any decorative items. Or if you start a new game with another character and lets you choose the new ship, the racial ship would be pointless anymore.

I mean no harm. peace to all! :headbanging:

4. zBound

zBound Starship Captain

I understand the concept but to be quite frank, from a technological standpoint it would be very complex... I would go into the details but :lickitung:

5. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

*Wakes up briefly from lurking forever*
    I like the idea of unlockable races. However, not sure what metrics to use for unlocking.
    Clearing quests with some sort of built in anti-admin/cheat to unlock would be nice, but might be hard to code.
    Having flags to trip might be an idea, but that might bugger up everyone that would already have done them, or admin'd them.
    Mods also add a large variety to the game, so they may accidentally mess up either option with more race space.
    That's my two pixels though. And back to sleeping off this alcohol a flowery friend of mine found.
    Heck, Unlockable stuff would be cool in general....

zBound likes this.
  6. Lt. Chapwisely

Lt. Chapwisely Void-Bound Voyager

I always liked the idea about getting little prizes after beating the game, being able to play as the Ancients is something that would fit the bill perfectly.

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I gotta be honest, I really don't know what would make a decent "endgame prize". This game being so, so open and "making as much stuff as possible" based kinda makes "endgame" frankly... how to put it. Optional? Plus the game is more or less focused on "unlocking" new stuff as you progress anyway. It's a constant state of gaining new options.

Adding another playable race to your options... really ought to be something given to everyone in a post-1.0 update. Because I'm not sure what the "bonus" of getting a new race post-endgame would be. You can replay old story missions anytime you want, blazing through with the best weapons and gear, so a race that starts out with bonuses (as you might get in other games) isn't really anything special.

The only things I can think of that would be really "prize-worthy" mostly hinge on them removing /admin from the game come 1.0, and I'm not convinced they're gonna do that. Either opening unprotected versions of the story missions so you can dig and collect everything, or unlocking /admin mode, which is effectively "god mode plus you can make anything in the game".

I dunno.

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

/admin will at most be disabled by default by a config setting. "unlocking" it is quite silly since admin mode is necessary for mod testing.

9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

You know what I meant. Removing it from our nominal gameplay abilities and experience.

10. Kelthazan

Wow, this is still alive? I forgot I even posted this... As to the /admin thing, could lock it behind some code or just make the command so damn tedious no one would want to try it like making the command an entire song in binary or "Cheater cheater pumpkin eater" exactly 666 times. Or... it could be tied to a hidden quest?

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Admin mode is extremely important to mod testing. CF has said they will likely have it disabled by default in the configs post release.

12. Archiewhite

Archiewhite Aquatic Astronaut

Here's a solution: Toggling /admin on marks this character, preventing him from vanity unlocks/

Kelthazan likes this.
  13. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

Idk, I mean it just seems weird to go through so much as your character only to change it when your done

14. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe you have the choice at the end of the game to be uplifted into an higher being? Rather than unlock a fully different race to restart?

15. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

Interesting. I think you getting maybe like some really cool tech, seeing that the ark consists of things like holograms and stuff. I would prefer that but either one would be exciting

16. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Highly advanced tech could be the other choice if you refuse the uplift. Ultimately, it become a choice between powerful techs or abilities. Like uplift gives you strong melee power and the ability to fly while the tech gives you a strong shield ability and better ranged power. Maybe a third option for the mages out there (METEOOOOOOOOOOR!).

As far as a change of look goes, I guess that could be vanity stuff since many will have already created a look they like by then.

Kelthazan likes this.
  17. Kelthazan

Both the ascending and the 'marked' character ideas are great. Marking any character for opening Admin would make people want to make test characters for that purpose and play characters that can actually unlock the race.

18. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

The Marking idea is good, though I'm not sure I'm entirely for it. I uses admin mode often to spawn items while building.

19. Archiewhite

Archiewhite Aquatic Astronaut

Well, spawning low-tech blocks (Wood, stone, dirt, ice, etc) shouldn't mark the character.
    Ow, and I forgot that you could just spawn some advanced mats and leave them for non-marked, so marking spawned items and marking characters that use marked items seems necessary if this system is used.

20. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

There probably just shouldn't be a marking system, I think. After giving it some thought, it's not really required, since the game is meant to be open. Locking for spawning a hard to find item that you really need for building is just not right.

Beside, it will likely be removed through mods days after it's in place.