1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Elithian Races Mod - A Starbound Expansion 2.3.10

A Starbound expansion mod which adds multiple new races and additional content

1. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or maybe the avikans had special programming that made all the droden explode or stop working. (or maybe the avikan just used a giant emp)

2. Aegonian

Aegonian Weight of the Sky

The Avikan actually still fought in pretty much every battle where the Legion was deployed - the Droden were a means to quickly and cheaply grow the Avikan army, but were never designed to replace Avikan soldiers. When the Droden rebelled against their creators, they had vast armies, but they also had many weaknesses. Not every Droden was a full AI, and many of those who were sentient were relatively primitive compared to something like a Glitch or a Trink. They were easy to predict since they generally still employed the tactics programmed in by the Avikan, and their weaponry and armour were inferior to Avikan equipment (because of the fact that Droden and their equipment were always made to be expendable).

The Theleans didn't attack the Avikan nation during the Droden War, but they were somewhat involved in the Droden rebellion: they planted viruses and small processor blocks into some Droden units, accelerating their evolution into sentient AIs. The viruses also implanted notions of freedom into those units, allowing them to realize that the Avikan were essentially using them as a slave army. The Droden rebellions would have happened anyway as the Avikan made improvements to the Droden - there had been instances of individual uprisings before this - but the Theleans accelerated this in an attempt to weaken the Avikan.

3. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Color me interested, have you or the lore writers of these races considered movie writing? Cause you've got the bases for an entire series considering the Elithian races.

4. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Neat! My plan of me lacking lore knowledge and a question got the creator to shed more light on Drodens! At first I thought the Drodens were more capable, usually wearing Combat or Heavy War Frames against the Thelean invaders. I also thought that all were a full AI that simply took orders from Avikan just because they made them. Then at some point, the Drodens decided to stop fighting the Theleans. Many of their kin were becoming Violated Droden, and using their strengths against them, thus leading the Droden to rebel against their creators, creating a 3 way battle of Droden at Avikan, Droden at Theleans, and Avikan at Theleans. I also thought after the rebellion somehow failed, the Avikans stripped most of the Droden of their intelligence, took their status, and made dumbed them down into basically the OOM series battle droid from Star Wars prequels. All rely on a central mind of sorts, all wear cute backpacks with antenna, and not always used as a soldier. After what you shared, I am reminded of clone troopers from SW too.

I catched wind of Droden not being as powerful as I thought they were when a human at a refugee camp told me my creators built me with the cheapest materials.

Aegonian likes this.
  5. Stafath

Stafath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Already sounds more interesting than Battlestar Galactica, both old and new! Its more colorful too with Avikans, Droden, Trink, Theleans and many planned, hopefully upcoming more, all equally diverse than anything from the usual Sci-Fi stuff with bipedal human variations everywhere that might as well be body paints. A fully suited and close helmeted (space suit from the Erchius mission/level for example) Apex, Floran, Avian, Glitch and Hylotl and you have no idea what-so-ever who is actually wearing it unless one of the dialog they have gives a hint or doesn't wear a closed-helmet.

As far as Avikan close-helmets go, that welder helmet is my favorite, fits nicely like a glove with one of the bulky chest armor pieces and also gives that Dead Space vibe to the character while it is still visually different from default human/humanoid helmets due to longer depth and lower height difference that don't fit on a human/humanoid head. Sure, in a way Elithian species have some similarities to humanoid shapes but due to their vastly different features of not only heads but entire bodies too being shaped differently grant them the bragging rights of full-alien to me, IMHO.

EDIT: Thanks to the new mech features along with long-overdue need for actual zero-g environment in the default game I've put more hours into playing Starbound again, from controlled gliding/drifting about in zero-g of space, chasing new hostiles and tracking down whatever is sending a signal in space to casual planetary mech travel and jumping onto the obstacles to walk over them, kinda amusing when a wooden hay-roof house for example gets in the way since the mech is most likely much heavier than that house! Either drill through or stomp over, heheh! :D Poor residents.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Aegonian likes this.
  6. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Sorry to interrupt this discussion but the shield generator doesn't seem to fully protect areas. There's almost always certain parts where it seems to just refuse to protect. For example, here's a Macrochip that's sitting right next to an active shield generator:
    [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/5db019e5376628a4be1785340f4932c3

As you can see, it would be trivial for someone to just unwire the generator and remove my ship's protection (I could probably use one of the protected points but that's a workaround, not a solution. EDIT: I just attempted this and was still able to right click to unwire the blue point even though I couldn't see the wire connection.)

I do not have administrator permissions on this server so I can't just set the tileProtection on it. Am I just doing something wrong or is there an issue with the generator itself?

Edit: It was neither an issue with the generator nor user error: For some reason, my ship had 4 separate dungeon IDs.

The generator was only picking up on one, and so only set the tileprotection on that one.

Could it perhaps be changed to update the dungeon ID of a specified area, then protect that area?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

Player shield generators in general have been broken for some time. For some strange reason player-placed tiles no longer all have the same dungeon ID, so a modded-in player shield generator's coverage will never be 100%. It's been that way since at least 1.0.

8. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Is there a way to add in some script or something to update the dungeon ID?

9. Aegonian

I hadn't really considered it before, though it's definitely something I'd be interested in! I had to do a little bit of script writing and storyboarding for my studies, but while I did a decent job of it, I'd probably still need someone else to do most of the writing - I love creating worlds with rich histories, but actually writing a full story that's happened in said worlds has never been my strength. Creating a full game based on the Elithian Alliance has actually been a dream of mine for a pretty long time, and as I'm currently studying Game Design, I hope it might actually happen at some point!

Yeah, I've never been a big fan of aliens that look like humans with a few minor changes, and I've tried to reflect that in my races! The exception being the Aegi, of course, but they're directly descended from Humans :p. A humanoid stance and overall posture feels like a universally beneficial trait for sentient, technologically advanced species, but that's about as far as it should realistically go.

It's an unfortunate side effect of how Starbound handles tile protection and dungeonIds... At the moment, the only way to protect tiles is to enable tile protection for an entire dungeonId, but I haven't found a way to alter the dungeonId of tiles yet. I'm still looking for a way to do just that, but I haven't found any LUA bindings that can do it so far... I'm not sure why the ship has multiple dungeonIds - I noticed it in my own tests too, but haven't found a pattern to their distributions yet. On planets, the generator appears to be a bit more reliable, since (most) player-placed tiles share the same dungeonId.

I did just think of a possible solution for the shield generator on player ships: if I can detect that the generator was placed on a ship world (which should be possible), I might be able to do obtain all dungeonIds present in the ship, and set them all to be protected. I'll do some testing for this soon!

Stafath likes this.
  10. Stafath

Aye, body part(s) for seeing, hearing, moving, operating space-faring ship equipment to all-around lifting and grabbing in general, digestive system and everything else important to keep organs and body alive and working. Any sort of boarding an alien vessel for example requires a pressurized suit protection at the very least by default. Without it for example one will be gasping for oxygen as a human on-board a full-alien Thargoid vessel filled with some good amount of ammonia (aliens from Frontier First Encounters and the rest of the Elite franchise games), would wish he/she had a space suit on instead of Star Trek's standard issue red shirts/yellow shirts or something along those lines.

Just thinking out loud at this point and planning a bit ahead what I'll do in Starbound as it's always been a game in its core where you make/carve your own character's slice of story.

11. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Maybe consider making a machinima like mine. Lets you tell your story without having to build an entirely new set of animation/models/game engine. Starbound is pretty good for machinima, but for some reason there are hardly any.

I'm not even sure about humanoid being universally beneficial. Our bipedal, erect stance actually comes with a lot of issues: spinal problems, difficulty birthing, etc. It's really a pretty big evolutionary compromise.

12. Stafath

Yeah, like the arm-to-leg ratio being noticeable because human legs having to support more weight due to standing up. Legs end up having more strength and mass to kick something while punching is much weaker due to small/thinner arms aka not enough natural upper body brute strength, have played as an Apex the most because of bulkier upper body strength.

Anyhow, Here's me finding another most-likely-mundane-by-now object in orbit with a mild mandatory reference:
    [​IMG]
    "SAIL, deactivate the main shield barrier please.. - ..Thank you."

13. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I did find somewhat of a pattern: Player-placed blocks. If you update a block location by placing a block on either the foreground or background layer as the player, you update the dungeon ID.

14. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

That's the way it's supposed to be, yes. But sometimes - randomly, for no apparent reason - a block or two will be placed with a different dungeon ID from the rest. This was something I had a problem with back when I tried to use the then-newly-added shield generator on my Keff Rider Barracks where the shield generator would protect most of the structure... but not certain tiles or furniture. Testing revealed they used different dungeon IDs from the rest of the structure (none of which was natural, I placed everything myself) and did not update to the same ID as the rest of the build no matter how many times I tore things down and put them back up.

15. Gearzoid II

Gearzoid II Big Damn Hero

Aegonian I have another issue to report. The Avikan cape still goes straight up when riding the Blink Keff vehicle instead of staying down. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  16. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

It goes like that because the riding animation of the Blink Keff uses the falling animation of your character and accessories.

Aegonian likes this.
  17. Drig insarcol

Drig insarcol Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was looking around Elithian Alliance forum and I think I may have seen 2 or three pictures of a solar system (very much like spore space stage). It had been associated with a separate Elithian alliance game and I was wondering if this is what you might have been working on. However, I didn't look at the time stamp for the post and so am not sure whether this is accurate at all.

18. Aegonian

There's actually an updated version of the galactic map, which was recently posted on the Elithian Alliance Discord:
    [​IMG]

There were some plans for a (basic) Elithian game while we were still using the old forums, but it never really took off and was abandoned, unfortunately. It's still something I'd like to attempt later down the line, though!

19. Stafath

Seeing a galaxy away from it like that and you'd be seeing lighting from the ancient past, that effect can be utilized to track down a space-faring species or anything really to pin-point something that gives away light, just a matter of how close or far away you are, from natural causes to artificial ones created by other lifeforms.

Point being that the Universe will remember everything and anything that has ever given of a sign of light and life, a robust/natural trait of nature that can be observed by high-tech space-faring species that have gained some sort of FTL method along with time-travel method since time dilations from objects in space can very easily mess up the track of time even between a civilization and its colonies. The trick then is trying to find what needs finding and zero it out of everything else.

Everything is up, everything is down, everything is left, everything is right and the point being that everything is somewhere. I love space.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  20. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Dumb question is dumb, but:

One quest requires that I get 12 superb Kavanite Plates and 5 Dranite Plates.

I got the latter, but not the former, how do I get them? Keep in mind, I'm not an Avikan.