1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Elithian Races Mod - A Starbound Expansion 2.3.10

A Starbound expansion mod which adds multiple new races and additional content

1. Stafath

Stafath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Swell, time to finally update my copy of Starbound! Not much to comment on yet as far as bugs, glitches and whatnot go as I'll need time to adjust to whatever the new versions of the core game added, removed or changed. Still kind of busy with other stuff I've been busy with lately but the news of your mod. Yeah, sure made me boot up the bef-1.0 version of Starbound for a bit and I guess to say goodbye to it after backing it up (the latter which I did months ago).

Been waiting for this to update for so long that I've forgotten how most of the modding even worked in terms of adding custom weapons and gear (taking a look at this mod's files alone should help me quite a bit though) or how most of the things in the default game worked, whatever the case is.. jogging my memory with the new version of the game along with Avikan mod should do the trick.

On a personal side-note:
    Hopefully the new version of Starbound has a much more fulfilling sense of a living, moving world and by that I mean (for example) random planets making me want to invest more time to digging and exploring them.
    All which I just mentioned on my side-note here have nothing to do with your mod Aegonian, as your mod even in the last beta version (before 1.0 aka "bef-1.0" as I prefer to call it) was more filled with content and characters than the default species and their backstories when compared to that of the Avikans, IMHO.

Guess I just felt the need to let you know that only a day or two ago when I checked yet again if your mod has been updated or not and this time finally finding the confirmation of the mod being finally updated.

Aegonian likes this.
  2. daleymail

daleymail Void-Bound Voyager

Clarification: I meant I can't craft flags while I'm playing a vanilla race but have this mod installed. I'm playing a Novakid right now and I couldn't find the option to craft the Novakid flag while on a planet- instead, there was the option to craft "Trinkian Metal", and when I did admin mode none of the flags showed up on the crafting menu. It works normally while I'm in my ship (the option to craft the flag is there, but the 'Trinkian Metal" is also still there), it's only a problem when I'm on a planet. Is that enough info? Sorry, but I don't know what the starbound.log is. How do I check that?

EDIT: Nevermind! I have absolutely no idea what happened, but it seems to have resolved itself when I restarted my laptop so maybe it was a problem with me instead of the mod? I can see the option to craft my flag again on planet now. If the issue crops up again I'll check my laptop instead of the game files and see if it really was just me. Quick (maybe dumb) question though- is the Trinkian Metal supposed to be there? If so, what's it for?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Aegonian likes this.
  3. Aegonian

Aegonian Weight of the Sky

Glad you managed to fix it! If you ever need that starbound.log for another error report or something, you can find it within your local game files. Easiest way to find them is to open your Steam library, right-click Starbound and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Local Files' tab, then click the button labeled 'Browse Local Files...'. Inside the folder you'll have just opened there's a 'storage' folder that contains your starbound.log, which logs warnings and errors and is a great tool for troubleshooting issues.

Trinkian Metal can be crafted by the Trinks using the regular crafting menu, but it should only be available to them (unless you purchased the Trinkian Crafting Guide). Lore-wise, the Trinks are capable of using their own body as a low-power furnace, allowing them to refine iron ore into metal cubes. Gameplay-wise, I needed the Trink to be able to craft Trinkian Metal without using any crafting table, as all of their crafting tables require Trinkian Metal to craft.

Stafath and daleymail like this.
  4. KINGofSPADEZZZ

KINGofSPADEZZZ Void-Bound Voyager

What Are The Thelean. and when will they be Playable?

5. Stafath

Just made it to the Starfarer's Refuge and noticed what looks to be a small scouting mech and upon inspecting it ingame it resulted with me getting the info that it's something called a Drehk. I'm quite eager to see and especially use it ingame as a preferred ride, but right now it only seems to a be a stationary furniture object only as I looked for it in the vehicle folders. Also found a bigger mech too, didn't get the name from inspection of the stationary furniture mech but I sure find myself wanting to try it out if it were usable, am more interested in the smaller mech due to smaller dimensions which makes it easier to get past smaller areas if that was useable as a mech vehicle.

Still though, my proverbial jaw is still on the proverbial floor. Loving it so far as before I even got to the Starfarer's Refuge I spent some time doing the new (radiant? dynamic?) quests for the Avikan folk in some underground living/shelter/bunker thingymajig complex with a teleporter to the Starfarer's Refuge in it. All of a sudden I feel the game has finally transformed from "no real reason to explore" to "reasons as to why explore and go to places".

Mind you, I am an unusual gamer of sorts as I always prefer to get/use end-game content in terms of gear and weapons to minimize stress and impatience for the sake of my own sanity, relaxation, enjoyment and basically keeping my mental health in check. I just cannot play games without cheating one way or the other (which obviously means I generally and strongly dislike anything multiplayer). The point being that I just naturally enjoy games much more when I have end game/OP items and gear and whatnot at my disposal from point A.

That aside, for the moment I'm just here to thank Aegonian once again for making Starbound so much more meaningful in my eyes and due to my natural tendency to cheat and look ahead I found a lot of new stuff in the mod's folders, stuff I've yet to try out like the new Trink hover vehicle and Avikan animal mount and of course the Skoff, plus new gear to try on, weapons to test and then figure out what I like using the most. I'm glad that the Null-Drive Vector gun is still my favorite weapon despite the short charge-up sequence and I find it rather awesome how the new animations make the weapon work like something out of Stargate franchise.

6. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

Tried Avikans way back in beta and when I saw that the mod had updated I decided to give it another go. Loving it so far. Found a few oddities, though. I'm sure some of these are reported already but here goes:

1: Incompatibility with Enhanced Party Interface due to conflicting UI changes.
    2: There are two versions of a couple of the mod-added plants. From gameplay prior to installing this mod, I know that this is likely because FU also adds the same plants. The FU variants seem to have slightly more dated artwork in a few places as well. I'm uncertain how merging the two would be done.
    3: If you use Purchasable Pets like me, you don't get the starting sandworm pet. As far as I can tell, there's no other way of acquiring one. Perhaps a vendor or submod?
    4: Playing an Avikan in Survival mode is hard without dipping into the vanilla tech tree, since the Avikan hunting weapons don't cause meat to drop.
    5: There's a "patterns" selector in Avikan character customization, but it doesn't appear to actually do anything.
    6: The minigun is a little weak. It doesn't do a great amount of damage for the energy it uses, especially considering the inaccuracy at longer ranges.
    7: The Avikan ship background is neat, but you can't place objects on it. I examined the ship files and determined that this is because most of the ship has the same initial setting as the ship's bridge. I happened upon the explanation for this while briefly checking the thread:
    Be advised that it's actually quite possible to set ship backgrounds to be different from the standard, as in Racially Appropriate Ship Backgrounds. In testing I saw some later-tier Avikan blocks that would probably work quite nicely to replace the default Apex-themed background. I'll see if I can put together a small submod using those blocks to redo the ship background, time and my health allowing.

Looking forward to seeing how this mod progresses over the next few months. Hoping for Steam Workshop support eventually, too.

Edit: Try using these for the Avikan and Droden ship backgrounds. I'll see if I can test them myself later, currently a bit out of it.
    Code:
      {
      "value" : [255, 255, 0, 255],
      "foregroundBlock" : false,
      "backgroundBlock" : true,
      "backgroundMat" : "avikandarkgroundpanel",
      "object" : "avikanshiplight",
      "objectResidual" : true
      },
      {
      "value" : [191, 191, 0, 255],
      "object" : "avikanshiplightbroken",
      "objectParameters" : {
      "unbreakable" : true
      }
      },
      {
      "value" : [128, 128, 0, 255],
      "object" : "avikanshiplight",
      "unbreakable" : true,
      "defaultLightState" : false
      }
      },
       {
      "value" : [122, 122, 122, 255],
      "object" : "invisiblelight",
      "unbreakable" : true
      }
      },

{
      "value" : [255, 255, 144],
      "backgroundMat" : "avikandarkpanel"
      },

{
      "value" : [255, 117, 144],
      "backgroundMat" : "avikandarkgroundpanel"
      },

{
      "value" : [255, 117, 255],
      "backgroundMat" : "avikansupportpanel"
      }

7. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just got a Centesian relic. It says it wont open, so it actually doesn't have an use yet or I need to complete a quest or something?

8. Aegonian

In short, the Theleans are a very old and extremely advanced race of cyborg-like creatures, who were responsible for the Avikan exodus from their homeplanet. They hunt down Centensian artefacts with extreme zeal, and don't concern themselves with the well-being of other species in the slightest. In combination with their extremely advanced technology, this makes them one of the most dangerous foes in the entire galaxy. They won't become playable for a while yet: there's a few other species which I'm planning to add first. They will, however, appear as (hostile) NPCs before long.

I love reading posts like these!

The Drehk is a small flying vehicle, and I'll be working on building that vehicle in a hopefully not-too-distant update. Same goes for the mech (which doesn't currently have a name yet). I've already drawn some of the animations for these vehicles, but didn't have enough LUA knowledge to build these vehicles before. With all the custom weapons, GUIs and status effects, however, I've grown quite confident in my LUA coding, so I should now be able to start building these vehicles!

The incompatibility with Enhanced Part Interface has been reported before, and a quick fix is available for those using the mod. In the avikan folder, go to interface/party and delete the playerbar.png file. I'll add this to the FAQ soon, and will look into a compatibility patch later.

The double farmable plants from FU use the artwork from this mod's previous version (v2.0.0), but the sprites have been adjusted sligthly in the latest update of ER. I don't think merging is an option, unfortunately, so users of FU and ER will probably continue to see these double crops.

I'll see if I can add compatibility with Purchasable Pets, but considering how busy I've been lately, it might be a while before I can look into this. Thanks for reporting the incompatibility!

Meat is getting added to the Avikan Hunting drop pool in the upcoming hotfix!

The patterns on Avikan characters are currently disabled, as they were overlapping with the emotes, which caused some odd visual issues. I'm not sure if patterns will be making a return.

The minigun, alongside a couple of other weapons, is getting rebalanced in the upcoming hotfix.

The lack of a ship background was actually a personal choice I made when I was redoing the Avikan ships. The ships used to have a background made of custom tiles in previous versions of the mod: the Avikan Support Beam and Dark Avikan Floor were actually built specifically for use in the ship background. I chose to remove the backgrounds because I prefer the look of the new, painted backgrounds over that of the tiled background. I might add an optional patch in the future that enables ship backgrounds from the start.

Steam Workshop support was planned for release earlier this week, but I wanted to finish the hotfix first. Once that's out, I'll start working on the Steam Workshop page!

Stafath likes this.
  9. Aegonian

It's a quest item for the Avikan-exclusive unique weapon. During that quest, an NPC in the Starfarer's Refuge will open it for you. You can also trade them in for Tokens of Merit at the Token Exchange, and they'll be used for other quests in the future too.

10. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

Ah, thank you.

Unfortunate but not a particular problem. Maybe something will be figured out eventually, though for now it's not particularly important.

It's not a problem. Don't worry about rushing to do anything, just take things in your own time.

Outstanding.

I see, that makes sense. Hoping a fix that keeps them can be found.

Outstanding.

I see. The optional patch would be handy for some of us, yes - I tried hanging the Portable Outpost mission console in my ship and realized I couldn't do it without putting background walls down. I suppose I can always use admin mode to get the higher-tech blocks early.

Outstanding, looking forward to it. I wanted to add this mod to a personal mod collection I and a friend have been using, but it wasn't on the Workshop yet and arranging to download and install it manually was something of a chore for them, since they didn't play the beta and weren't familiar with how manual mod installs worked. Using the workshop will make keeping things updated much simpler.

11. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I find myself confused. I'm trying to get the unique weapons and the mod page mention you acquire them through quests at the refuge. But I have completed seemingly all quests available and haven't found a weapon yet. I'm fairly certain I'm missing something here. The quests I completed are the starting exploration one, the new sub-biome material one, the arm ring and the keffrider license. Did I miss one?

Beside that though, I love the mod and finding new villages! And the secret merchant at the Refuge was very handy!

12. Aegonian

The mod's description hasn't been updated in a while, so there's a few errors in there, sorry. The Unique Weapons currently in the game can be acquired in two ways: first, each race has its own, racially-exclusive unique weapon. These weapons are a bit like the Protector's Broadsword, in that they are obtained by repairing your starter weapon and are level 7 weapons. After completing the Glitch mission, take your starter weapon into the Refuge (for Avikan and Droden characters) or a Trinkian settlement (for Trinkian characters), and you'll get a quest to repair your weapon. The second way to obtain Unique Weapons is through Sealed Caches, which you can find as random loot in Avikan settlements and in Centensian ruins, as quest rewards, or as tenant gifts. Every cache you open has a 10% chance at dropping a Unique Weapon, and there's a total of nine weapons to be found this way.

In the upcoming hotfix, I'm adding a third path to obtaining Unique Weapons (you'll find out what it is very soon!), and more weapons will be added in later updates. Some of these will be random loot from caches and such, while other will have their own questlines to complete.

13. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Oooooh, that explains a lot! TO THE GALAXY MAP!

14. Stafath

You're welcome!

I myself just felt the need to comment/reply after 8-10 or so something odd long hours of getting used to new everything in the core game along with new stuff in your mod and then playing onward and basically forgetting the need to sleep as by the time I saw Drehk and its tripodish struts it looked like a mech to me due to sleepy semi-blurred vision at the time I had. That aside...

...knowing now that Drehk is actually a flying vehicle instead of a walking mech, I find myself wanting to use it even more because I personally prefer flying/hover function over only-hover vehicles and walking mechs which usually are quite slow, my reason being that it is a more versatile vehicle/craft and I like it alot. Should be easier to add into game too due to no-need to make sprites and walking animations for its legs aside from perhaps making the struts deployable/retractable? Sure would be very interesting little touch in detail but I'd be fine with it, landing struts or no landing struts.

No need to rush with making it pilotable right away though as I prefer more polished and finished stuff in mods nowadays anyway so take as much break as needed for RL health and whatnot reasons, I know how stressful it can get with modding even though I don't do much of it aside from adding or altering something to my liking.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Aegonian likes this.
  15. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Are the Centensian ruins on any planets or is there a set of planets they are on?

16. KaleShibata12

KaleShibata12 Phantasmal Quasar

Tenant note: I just had a recruitable Chemist spawn and he's using the non Avikan racial adjusted outfit. mind you this is a colony deed spawned tenant and these always seem to have this issue. figured I'd mention it though.

17. Aegonian

They are random encounters which you can find on almost any planet: only moons, barren planets and ocean planets can't have ruins of them. You can recognise the ruins by the distinctive white cube-like structures - you'll know them when you seem them!

The issue with tenants in the current version is that they use vanilla NPC types, so when they get promoted to a crewmember, they use vanilla crewmembers. The upcoming hotfix should fix this!

18. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Still searching for those weapons! They shall be mine! :kitten:

I just found my first trink outpost. I love find new things and this mod really provide! I am wondering, do you have plan to make a dungeon?

19. GriffenLeo

GriffenLeo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am not going to do beta testing until the steam workshop version is released (simply to ease any frequent hot-fixes), however, I did notice one thing on the forums. Once you have it up to full working order, I suggest updating the forums page. This will inform newcomers about many our favorite mod. This has probably already been talked about, I might just be being dumb, I just thought it might help.:nuruhappy:

P.S. I'm really happy for you that you got this mod out. The activity on the forums have skyrocketed.:poke::notworthy:

20. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

God...Is the thing on the Centens face a open mouth with a little cute tooth
    or it's their eye? do they have mouths?
    GOD, IT'S SO CONFUSING!