1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Elithian Races Mod - A Starbound Expansion 2.3.10

A Starbound expansion mod which adds multiple new races and additional content

1. Aegonian

Aegonian Weight of the Sky

Which lockers are you referring to? There should be a variety of containers, chests and crates available for crafting, but it's possible I've overlooked some of them when I was adding the blueprints.

As mentioned by Varn, the ship doesn't actually have wall from the start. The vanilla ships look kinda bad without any walls, meaning you're pretty much forced to use some sort of background tiles to make it look better. The default walls are okay, but they din't quite fit the Avikan and Trinkian ships in my opinion. By removing the walls and drawing a custom background, players have more options when it comes to decorating the ship, but the inability to place objects on the walls is an inevitable drawback of using the ship's regular background instead of walls.

The reason I adjusted the background image for the player bars is because Avikan names are generally quite long, and they wouldn't actually fit into the part of the UI reserved for the player's name. I'll see if I can make the Elithian Races Mod compatible with the enhanced party UI mod through an optional patch or something similar! As a temporary fix, you could make a small adjustment to the mod files: open the avikan folder, then go to interface/party, in which you'll find a playerbar.png file. Delete it, and your issues should go away!

2. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

@Aegonian
    Ah, thank you! Wasn't quite sure which file it was. No real need to create a compatability patch, as the party UI is a rather old one, I just always liked the cleaner look it had from vanilla. I'll have to see how this UI looks in parties as well. The longer names beign cut off does sound like an issue, though.

3. DominatorLegend

DominatorLegend Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, in response to your comment of my review, in which I talked about the ship being buggy and you replied I could put background blocks, I DID try to put them, but I just couldn't.

4. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

speaking of tiles: i don't see any glass blocks in any of the crafting stations
    but there is two seperate recipes for the metal fence, one of which takes glass to make. intentional?

5. Aegonian

Don't have time to look into this right now - I'm at school currently - but I'll have a look once I get home! Did you try placing background tiles starting from the walls? You might not be able to place them if you start building from, say, the middle of the room: the background tiles will need something to connect to, like they do anywhere else in the game. The game sees the default ship walls as nothing more than empty air, so there won't be anything for the tiles to attach to.

I took a quick look at the files and you're right: one of the fence recipes is actually supposed to be the Avikan Glass recipe. I'll have that fixed in the upcoming hotfix!

6. DominatorLegend

DominatorLegend Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did.

7. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

also the farm block comes pre-watered when placed, but dries up when plants grow on it
    i know that FU and avali both have blocks that automatically irrigate
    and the cooking station is the only one that acts as a platform of all the stations, leaving things floating in the center of it

8. Aegonian

Hmm, I'll look further into it then. I'll get back to you on this!

The cooking station's collision was indeed set to platform, which was unintended. I'll have it fixed in the upcoming hotfix! I took a quick look at the Farm Panel's config file, and it seems that the tile mod ID for tilled dirt got changed in Starbound 1.0, so the panel uses the wrong tile mod when it gets tilled. I'll make sure that gets fixed in the hotfix as well. I'll also take a look at FU's and Avali's automatically irrigating blocks, to see if that might be preferable for the Avikan blocks as well.

9. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

the feedback never ends!: throwing weapons feel really out of balance
    did some testing:
    each hit from a spike trap does the same damage as a grenade
    grenade does the same damage as detpack
    bone javelin does double that
    and vanilla bombs do double of THAT
    spike trap throws out 5 spikes, each being able to hit multiple times

suggestion time!
    spike traps stay longer, deal less damage/ dissapear after dealing damage. with the seperate types, they seem to fit a utility role. currently it's basically a "throwable shotgun blast"
    bone javelins increase item drop chance? that's what i thought the description meant
    explosives desperately need a damage buff

also does the crossbow (bone one, if that makes any difference) have an increased item drop rate?
    also also the recruitable droden from the refuge kill stuff way too fast with their melee, with how they hit multiple times in a row. maybe limit them to guns only?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. Aegonian

That's some good feedback on throwable items! I'll have a good look at the damage they deal for the hotfix update.

The bone crossbow uses the same projectile as the other bone bows, and the same goes for the Nomada Crossbow and Nomada Bow. They should all act as Avikan hunting weapons, meaning that when you kill an (organic) monster with them, the items that are dropped are chosen from the general Avikan Hunting treasurepool (which only contains bones, hides and some rare pieces of armour).

11. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

i guess i just got lucky streak and grew suspicious after getting two great monster bones in a row
    have you looked into farmables being one-time-only? (plants don't drop seeds when harvested)

12. Aegonian

Wow, two Great Monster Bones in a row is pretty lucky! They do become more common on higher tier planets, but two in a row is still a rare occurrence. At best, you have a 5% chance for one of them to drop from level 6 monsters. At worst, level 1 monsters only have an 0.1% chance for one of them to drop. Did you get any of the wearable skulls yet?

13. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

yes, but they really are just helmets with current or lower tier damage without the other stats. unless you get lucky on early planets, they are basically cosmetic items
    i'm suprised there is no fridge type container. my food is spoiling and the normal fridges clash with the theme
    and the quivers are kinda useless, since you need your EPP on to not die, but the higher tier planets is where it makes sense to also have the damage boost
    the idea is sound, but is self-defeating
    could just split the quivers into a cosmetic back item (or keep the stats on anyway for pre-T4 planets) and make a craftable bow damage augment
    hunter crew members also seem to aim their weapons downwards most of the time

14. KaleShibata12

KaleShibata12 Phantasmal Quasar

Well this is kinda serious: if you attempt to spawn a tenant using the beacon, a weapon display and two peices of furnature, nothing will spawn in. villagers spawn in fine, but armed tenants seem broken. will launch server shortly to check what the log says on it.

Here we go:
    [13:24.008] [Warn] Could not spawn NPC of species 'avikan' and type 'avikanfriendlysoldier', exception caught: (MapException) Key 'avikanfriendlysoldier' not found in Map::get()
    [13:30:24.994] [Error] Exception while invoking lua function 'update'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/objects/spawner/colonydeed/colonydeed.lua"]:465: (LuaConversionException) Error converting LuaValue to type 'int'
    [0] 13f233ee3 Star::captureStack
    [1] 13f232c6e Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 13f1ff44b Star::LuaConversionException::LuaConversionException
    [3] 13f1fac56 Star::LuaConversionException::format<char const * __ptr64>
    [4] 13f3dab49 Star::luaTo<int>
    [5] 13f401e66 Star::LuaDetail::ArgGet<int>::get
    [6] 13f8a445b <lambda_cf8e2fc210c152351a677d981806b1c3>::eek:perator()

also my god the stupid auto emote system needs to go for these cases eedit: should that not be the lines you need i redid the error and got some 25 lines of a single whay looks to be key vriant and if that helps too I'll add that when I get home from work

15. Aegonian

Did some testing of my own just now, and it seems all Avikan guard tenants have some issues. The regular tiered ones wear the same armour- not quite certain yet why this is happening - while the vanguard tenant's npctpye is missing completely. I'll make sure this gets fixed in the hotfix update later this week!

16. Murdus

Murdus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My .02 on the spike traps:

Drop the damage to maybe 1/4 of what it is currently, and give them a minor slowing effect on enemies that step on em', maybe 15% slow? Would fit in with the whole hunting theme as well, slowing prey down to give a bit more time to line up a good shot, etc.
    As is, they're definitely overpowered to some degree but I'd also be wary of over-nerfing them as well. Having them vanish after x amount of hits would be alright, but as the damage seems likely to take a hit in the next patch, might be better to keep em on a timer.
    In any case, excellent mod so far, enjoying this as much if not more than the Avali mod and that's a pretty high bar in terms of quality. Well done!

17. Resonat

Resonat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Had that problem as well.

18. comet1337

comet1337 Big Damn Hero

yet more balance feedback
    vanguard assault rifle altfire is more energy efficient than its primary
    maybe have it pierce enemies and use more energy + give it a different sound

am i blind, or is monster spine not used in anything? i don't see anything that uses them in the bonecarver station

19. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Finally its here! Thanks for the hard work and not giving up the mod, Aegonian <3
    Keep up the good work.

20. Aegonian

I''ll look into balancing the wearable skulls a bit.

The increased damage from quivers is indeed redundant on higher level planets due to the need for an EPP, but they were mostly meant as a cosmetic item either way. The bonus damage is also useful in Ancient Vaults and during missions, where EPPs aren't needed, but it's still a bit unfortunate that they have few practical applications beyond those places. Personally, I don't much like Chucklefish's decision to make EPPs a back item, as it locks players out of using any other back items for fear of losing their environment protection, but there's little to be done about that... I'll look into Bow Damage augments, but they'd have to compete with the regular damage augments which boost all damage, so I doubt they'll see much use unless the bonus is incredibly large.

As for an Avikan-themed fridge, I had completely forgotten that! I've added it to my TODO list, and will be added either in the hotfix or in a later update.

Could you explain the issue with hunter crewmembers a bit more? I've done a bit of testing, and while they do occasionally miss their mark if their target is moving, their aim seems pretty decent overall. They aim their bows down when not in use of course, but that's true for all weapons.

I've currently scaled down their damage per hit from 10 to 3 for regular spikes, and from 12 to 5 for the tarred and poisoned variants. This means that their total burst damage (when throwing them right into your enemy's face) is 15 for regular spikes, and 25 for special spikes. The Bone Javelin deals 20 damage, and the Hunter's Javelin deals 35 damage, making javelins good for high burst damage from longer ranges, and spikes better for dealing damage over time again, as intended. Avikan grenades now deal 40 damage (the same as vanilla bombs), as do the craftable sand bombs, while Explosive Charges deal 45 damage - slightly higher than other explosives, as they don't explode on contact and are thus more difficult to use as weapons.

I'll look into balancing the alternative fire for the assault rifle a bit. Monster Spines aren't currently used for any crafting recipes IIRC, but they make for a good source of Tokens of Merit when traded at the Nomada Token Exchange. I also intend to add more unlockable recipes for bone weaponry in the future, which will require Monster Spines as well.

@DominatorLegend I did some testing just now, and was able to place tiles just fine if I started building from the walls, the ceiling or the ground. Are there any errors in your log, or do you use any other mods which might affect tile placement or the ships?