RELEASED Easier Fishing (Standalone) (1.4 BETA + 1.5) 1.5a

Easier Fishing Standalone

1. scdoster

scdoster Space Hobo

Thank you both for the help!

• DarkenedSoul333

DarkenedSoul333 Aquatic Astronaut

I have a question. I bought the game from Steam, and I'm not seeing any old fishing files to replace with the mod. Is there a way that I can still work with the mod?

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You don't see a Fish.xnb in \Stardew Valley\Content\Data\ ?

• DarkenedSoul333

No, when I try to search for that spot it doesn't show up in my files. I've tried the C drive and the D drive. All I see is Steam, and a actual file for Stardew Valley but not the other stuff. I enjoy fishing in Harvest Moon as a good way of making money, and I wanted to incorporate it in Stardew Valley too.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Go into your steam library, right click SDV, click properties, then click the "Local Files" tab then "Browse Local Files".

• DarkenedSoul333

Thank you so much!! =D

• awesomedough

awesomedough Space Hobo

I just did everything as it says, I copied it in, I renamed it, I removed the old one (put it in another folder), and even checked the dir /w and it all seems fine, but whenever I fish it crashes. is there any reason this is happening?

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Are you using the English version of the game, or another language?

I (or someone) need to update the mod so that it supports other languages, and/or make a disclaimer that it only works for the English version of the game, because of the way CA changed the .xnb files (or, rather the files contained within) for the other languages of the game. The structure of the files changed a little, and if you use an old version of the .xnb, the game will crash.

The problem with trying to update the mod for other languages, is that you would have to do each language's fish.xnb separately and that would be a royal PITA, because you'd need to modify every fish for every language, which is why I've not done that yet.

• ArtiusTheFox

ArtiusTheFox Void-Bound Voyager

Thank the Heavens for this mod. The Vanilla Fishing is so Bad and Hard to do it makes me hate Fishing. I'm going to see if this also works on Stardew Valley 1.2(more specifically 1.2.33).

Me when I get a crazy spasmic fish in vanilla:

Erick648 likes this.
                    • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I was just playing the game using this mod just a couple weeks ago, so it should.

I do not know, however, about the upcoming multiplayer update, and how that's going to work.

• ArtiusTheFox

ArtiusTheFox Void-Bound Voyager

Yea it does still work btw, and when multiplayer comes I assume to do modded multiplayer both people would have to have the same mods.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, with modding support not being official, I doubt the game will have any sort of routines to check asset digests or anything like Starbound does, so...

That, and he may or may not overhaul the fishing system, or change its data structure, or what-not, who knows what all might get changed. As it is, this mod ONLY works on the English version of the game, because he changed the data structure within the non-English .yaml files that are stored inside of the .xnb.

• Lady Kairi

Lady Kairi Orbital Explorer

I cannot for the life of me get this mod to work. Every other mod I've installed has worked, and I checked, double checked, re-read the installation instructions and even watched the video just to make sure I'm not being dumb, but the game crashes every time and the xnb file is in the right place.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Are you using the English version of the game? If not, the mod will not work. I could give you instructions on how to get it to work but it would be somewhat complicated and time-consuming.

EDIT: If you *are* using the English version, I would ask you to do this:

1). Navigate to the folder that Fish.xnb resides in (Stardew Valley\Content\Data\)
                              2). Shift+Right Click on an empty area somewhere in that folder.
                              3). Click "Open Command Line Here"
                              4). Type the following:

Code:
                              dir /w
                              And hit the enter key.

5). Verify that you have a Fish.xnb and NOT a Fish.xnb.xnb or similar.

I think that most likely after the next big Stardew Valley update, I'm just going to put the file "Fish.xnb" inside of folders called "easier fishing" and "super easier fishing" so that nobody has to rename the thing, lol.

But no point in doing that now when we're getting closer and closer to the next major update which may or may not break this mod.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
                              • Lady Kairi

I'm using the English, but I ended up just putting the old file back in, deleting all the new ones and redownloading and it worked from there just fine, but hell, THANK YOU for the fast response though! I was going apeshit lol The files may have just downloaded incorrectly. This computer does all kinds of farfetched things

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

*nods* The most common problem is the Fish.xnb.xnb thing. It happens whenever someone right-clicks the file, clicks "rename" and types "Fish.xnb" in... windows will add another .xnb onto the end of it because, yanno, Windows. And that will screw the game up. That's why the next release I'm going to have the files already named Fish.xnb to remove the possibility of that problem happening.

Glad you were able to get it to work though!

• Lady Kairi

I figured that's what you were referring to with your instructions, but that was one of the things I had already checked. I think it was just the computer being dumb cause now I've been fishing happily.
                                    When's the next update on Stardew due? Clicker heroes just released an update and my steam WON'T update it, so I can't get intothe game. I'd hate for the same thing to happen to my stardew T-T

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It won't be out for awhile yet, I think the *beta* for the next version starts in Jan-Feb. So you could think about keeping an eye out for it around March or thereabouts.

Also, as far as Steam and game updates, try exiting out of Steam entirely and rebooting it once you've confirmed the update has been released -- Steam makes periodic checks for updates, but rebooting Steam entirely will force a check right there and then, which it should see and download it.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Erick648 likes this.
                                      • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard