1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Early beta for people who Pre-ordered?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by fastgman757, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastgman757

fastgman757 Space Hobo

Hi, me and a few friends are very excited about this game, and would REALLY like to try out a beta at some point soon. Thanks :)

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Well, the beta is available only to people who pre-ordered before it is released. Unfortunately, we don't know when the beta is exactly. That said it will be sometime this year, and probably a few months away still.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. Patey

Patey Scruffy Nerf-Herder

^that. theres so many things that could cause delays that even this year can't really be promised by anyone either.

4. There is no Early Beta, there is only Beta. For everybody who did pre-order, and far what we have seen it isn't that close. When we see Press / Youtubers having previews / demos of Starbound (they will have it before us for marketing purposes) the Beta is near. :lolwut:

WoxandWarf and linkthegamer like this.
  5. failcake

failcake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do belive everyone will recieve beta at the same time :S, i hate when youtubers / press have it first

cAtraXx likes this.
  6. They don't have one version that is stable. And they are limited to what DEVs say to want to be played and shown, so it's just press that we can't really compare to what we will receive and the usage we will make of it.

The question is that when it is stable enough for all the public, beta will start. Because for Youtubers gamebreaking bugs and issues aren't a problem, for all the pre-order customers downloading a version in such state, it is.

LastSuicide likes this.
  7. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

Tell that to like half a million (possibly more) people who bought Minecraft in Alpha and even beta. There were numerous gamebreaking bugs (e.g. piston "factory" in 1.7, cloning items by Alt+F4 in some later, etc.), even after so-called "final" release of Minecraft and people didn't complain. I doubt people there will complain.

Moreover, I think they'll be glad that it was finally released regardless of its state. And if Chucklefish will put large "This is Work In Progress, may contain bugs" sign in it, people won't be disappointed even if it will have said bugs.

//edit: We cannot neglect live feedback on features either - people might like how it plays out even if it was glitchy/buggy behavior (like Bucket On Head and various other glitches in Skyrim) or they might not like genuine feature in which case dev team can remove it before it's too late to do so.

8. If the devs don't want to give us one gamebreaking and crashy version of the game, they have that right, also be aware that these days people see beta games as final, and complain about any issues as it is already a finished game, that's why some talented studios got downvoted to hell for give early betas to the community, today most did learn from it and avoid that. For example at this moment the game can crash every 30min and have mad lags like hell time to time (it looks like it have that issue since in streams Tiy is always forced to refresh the game to unlag it every few minutes) it isn't a problem for Youtubers or other media, but for the players that's the first step into rage, flame wars, complaints, ask for refunds, etc... etc...

9. Epicroyal

Epicroyal Cosmic Narwhal

Keep in mind Tiy has stated before he can play Starbound with 60 fps on a old Macbook PC. Recording for the stream is probably the lag he is receiving, if anything.

RamzaAeon likes this.
  10. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't believe such thing will happen with such mature community Starbound has. Also I believe all preorders have "All sales are final" clause so no refunds will be given.

Tell me some examples (you could always find one, but most likely that would be shitty game in first place, so I'll ask kindly for about 10) of games where such thing you're describing happened. Even with Minecraft, which is laggy as hell such thing is unheard of, and since Starbound is better game than Minecraft, there won't be things like that.

I want Starbound and I want it before my birthday (July 27th). I've payed for it and I demand it however unfinished it might be.

11. Only if he haves one awful PC, he doesn't even stream HD, but since the start they must do the /refresh command or the game just stops. I guess it's not a question of FPS, it is optimization in performance, thing they did when implemented Directx.... Or even some bug.

We can't push it really, Minecraft can even launch one update that makes the game completely broken it wont be hated, Minecraft is a special case in all gaming industry that nobody can sort explain how it was so successful with all the limitations, issues, etc... it had and still have in some areas.

Starbound do already offers refunds with Pre-Orders i saw some cases in the support forum already. After i see the bart comments recently about how hard it would push the beta before December this year, i say you may need to find another gift to your birthday :monkey:

12. GraveRobber

GraveRobber Seal Broken

13. Stream, bart talks more freely there than in the forums, but even that sentence says what i said, the full release coming to 2014 with at now the beta guaranteed at 2013. Things can change but at this moment is how we are on this.

14. Please keep beta date discussion to the sticky in the General Discussion forum.

To sum up:

- everyone will be receiving the beta at the same time
    - if the press/YouTubers receive a copy of the game, it will be for marketing purposes and will not be the actual beta
    - if the beta is ready to be given to the press, it will also be given to everyone who pre-ordered at the same time

If you're talking about him using the /reload command, that's usually because he changed something that needs part of the game to be reloaded to update (e.g. changing ABC notation files, which at release will not be required), not lag.

Bacon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.