RELEASED Longevity: Dynamic NPC Clothing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by RTGOAT, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I think this is definitely a valid point.
    Would it be possible to make more specific events, such as the hair dyeing, optional and configurable on the file so that people can turn them on/off at will?

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I actually really like that Abigail! She looks much more like her mother. (My favorite character change from that mod)

No one is doing work for Abigail so if you would like, I could reserve her for you to work on. (Just let me know what you're going to work on more specifically)

You could use that modded version as a base for her,
      but you first need permission to use it (I see that permissions already allow this, but if you could, I would like it to come personally from the artist considering the scale of the mod),
      and second, we would need to get approval of the community to use this modded base over the original/vanilla.

@Aristobulus : I agree, however this mod is a module to a foundation mod (Longevity).

This specific piece is currently marketed as clothing changes to NPCs to make them more dynamic, but it will change over time as more concepts/mechanics connect and influence the purpose of this sub-mod.
      (Seriously, there is so much more to be done with all of this, and soon everyone will start to see how these ideas are connected to the same goal (longevity / game depth)).

@Yaushibee : I really like what you've done so far! Great stuff all around :)... I look forward to the finished product.

@Minakie : As mentioned, I'm looking to bring dialogue into clothing changes (NPCs will become aware of their new looks and properly reference them naturally)
      I also look to give more of what I felt the game doesn't do enough of, choices.
      Question based dialogue (when I get a solid system down) will allow the player to influence NPC's decisions on making some changes to their appearance (such as hair dyeing).

The current version released allows you to 'turn off' any single specific clothing changes by simply removing the corresponding .xnb from the content folder.
      Their default will always display, unless another sprite file exists to replace it (on specific trigger).

ViolentQuiche and Yaushibee like this.
      • Alvadea

Alvadea Pangalactic Porcupine

I also use a lot of modded portraits and I plan to make the clothings from this mod working on them, too. But to be honest, I think we should remain true to the original portraits in this mod to have a solid foundation. Let's collect the modded portraits with seasonal clothing in an extra thread.

I also wrote with the artist from this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/lolita-fashion-bachelorettes.4395/ He (or she?) would offer his sprites to us. And the Abigail-Sprite would look perfect for a event-dress, in my opinion. :)

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I agree. I was just a bit biased on the account that I liked that Abigail mod!
          I think that sticking to vanilla is a good call... however, I'm open to using a modded base if that artist is willing to complete the NPC set on that modded base.
          (That and the community being in favor of changing the base; it seems though [so far], that sticking to the vanilla bases are preferred)

Also yes, I've been speaking with 'royalyspooky' and we are setting up to implement his NPC changes.

Alvadea and Minakie like this.
          • Ailin

Ailin Title Not Found

I'm with the majority, we should use the vanilla, then can make it compatible with other mods. I personally like the current Abigail. Anyway I think you can use her hair design, but adapting it to the current portrait! And the color can be added too, after all this mod will have a dyed hair options. Adapting the hair can be a mixture of this 2 old designs.
            Abigail_Timeline2.png
            And personally I love this one, maybe you can use it for something if you want.
            Abigail_Timeline1.png
            As long as we respect the hair length, I think we can make different hairstyles. Maybe she would look nice with a ponytail too. :)
            Well, that was my idea to use, and at the same time not use the older version, and can be aplied to other characters. If it is a good or bad idea it's the community decision xD

In other hand, what's with Abigail's hair and her magic bow? I think she's the only character who have inverted hair in the front sprites
            Abigail sprites.png
            and we all know she has no bow in her portrait... I don't know if it's a CA decision or a mistake, but I think I'm not the only one who wants to see it "fixed"

@RTGOAT I was thinking on some features for the mod and was wondering if it would be possible, maybe in the future:
            - With the same sistem as the dyed hair, different hair lenghts (thinking on Maru's long hair old portrait)
            - Different babies depending who you're married. (I suppose there would be a mod already for this if it would be possible, but I never found it so I don't know...) If it's not possible, maybe just dynamic clothes for babies too? or more babies variation, not just one white and black for each gender (well, I think I'm not the only one who's not a fan of the vanilla babies... :s)
            - "fix" some portraits. With this I mean things like, when Alex is lifting weights, he's shirtless at the sprite, but if you talk to him he has his usual portrait, even when he already have a shirtless portrait. (I've never noticed it before, I read it recently here http://community.playstarbound.com/...or-the-portraits-when-talking-to-alex.126962/) Another example is, if you marry Sebastian when he's working on his bike you can see his usual portrait, too. I think it must be the portrait of the event instead. Maybe there are more things like that, I can't think of any right now.

Minakie likes this.
            • RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Ailin Yes I can do all of those!

Ailin, Alvadea and Minakie like this.
              • IronZelly

IronZelly Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for your patience! Lo' and behold, I've finished a winter-outfit for Penny, both outdoor and indoor (without hat, earmuffs, and gloves) versions. I'm a bit split on the color scheme since I was aiming for something that was cute but traditional, and hopefully not resembling too much like Haley's winter outfit. I feel it works, anyway. What do you guys think?

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
                I intend to continue work on Sebastian next. (and maybe Linus cause why not) :kawaii:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
                  LAWRENCE^_^, Roth, Mars_bk and 11 others like this.
                • Chrysanthe

Chrysanthe Starship Captain

That is soooo lovely and cute. Great job!

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@IronZelly She looks fantastic!!!

I'm extremely busy with classes this semester; I'm doing my best to keep up.

I'll have the majority of changes for DNPCC finished soon (More on those later).
                    It is the changes for Longevity as a whole that will take me a little longer (I'm fairly happy to see few issues with the last update; this has allows me to work on future changes sooner).

I'll throw down an update soon. Besides that, I'm really excited for the clothing updates you guys have contributed for this next release!

Ailin and IronZelly like this.
                    • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

These are AH-MAZING!

• Ailin

Ailin Title Not Found

she looks great, so cute! I love the blue and pink combination :3

Ok, my last edit. I opted for a traditional witch for Spirit's Eve. I put a crystal ball on her hand, maybe can be used on a custom dialogue... I don't know what to think about the lipstick, give me your opinion, if you don't like some of the edits I can remove them and put back the original face.
                        Jas_portrait_Spirit's_Eve.png Jas_sprite_Spirit's_Eve.png
                        I can make another costume too if you don't like the witch :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
                        • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Love the little pumpkin on her hat! They look perfectly true to the vanilla game, too! I say keep the lipstick, it adds to the 'dress up' idea.

• IronZelly

Good news, I've finished Sebastian's winter outfit portrait. Bad news, I'm not done with the sprites yet. I've been a little preoccupied with work on the side, so progress was delayed for a while, but I'd rather upload my progress for the time being to keep up with the pace of things. :cry:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tried to keep it simple and clean, given how Sebbie doesn't get cold, only throwing in the hat because I expect his parents (or Maru) would pester him to wear a hat during a blizzard. Somehow I can't imagine him with any other hat than a pom-pom hat. I suppose a little social awkwardness with a hat never hurt nobody. Otherwise, he'd probably wear a hood or beanie if it didn't wasn't somewhat 'off' when I was crafting the ports. The jacket needed to revised from the original coat I gave him the first time around since it looked way too formal for a young adult such as he. I wanted to stick to a design that was both cool and practical looking yet not too out of character for Seb to wear. He may be an edge lord, but I feel his fashion sense would be more in line with what you'd expect a Zuzu City citizen to wear. I did keep it a dark color though so it doesn't end up being a Sam outfit stapled onto Sebastian's body anyway. :mwahaha:

• IronZelly

Sebbie is now prepared for winter!
                              Below are the coinciding sprites -- sweater for indoor, (open and zipped) jacket for the outdoors and blizzard (with hat included) - to match the portraits I finished earlier:
                              [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
                              I've also just realized that Seb resembles Craig from South Park with that hat.
                              ... Huh. No wonder I thought the pompom hat would fit him so well. :rofl:

• Ailin

Ailin Title Not Found

@IronZelly
                                The jacket is so cool! I especially like the opened version, and I would never imagined that a pom-pom hat would look so good on him :speechless:

Just one thing, with the first portrait I feel like the shader looks weird. The ilumination comes from his left, but even so his right arm need more... volume? (I'm not sure how to say it in english...) The ilumination is more frontal judging by the face shadows, or at least that's my impression.

• Jestex

Jestex Void-Bound Voyager

Made proper rainwear for Willy:
                                  [​IMG][​IMG]

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Jestex

I'm loving it!

As note to any artists with work in progress, PM and get a hold of me whenever you're ready to publish your content.
                                    Any further details can be addressed then.

Jestex and Androxilogin like this.
                                    • Jestex

Jestex Void-Bound Voyager

Kent - Rain
                                      [​IMG]
                                      Kent - Winter
                                      [​IMG]
                                      Kent - Summer
                                      [​IMG]

• worldworld

worldworld Void-Bound Voyager