1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Duplicate Crew?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by moomoomilkman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ehyder

ehyder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have not tried that. If I had a better way to roll back my files I would test this. I think you should only try this without dismissing any of the crew, but it might work since dead crew 'regenerate.' I still might try this on some some of the duplicates that have been created planet side. Now I just have to figure out where I left them :).

2. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

It happened again. I don't have a log file (idk how to get them) but I really can't think of anything that could have triggered the bug. It was just a regular beam-down on a snowy planet to capture some critters. But upon beam-down I was surrounded by a copy of each of my crew members. They did not follow me back to the ship, but there was another set of copies on the ship itself.

3. ehyder

If you search your system for Starbound folders (they may be hidden depending on your OS) you should be able to find the log files.

Clutching at straws here for commonalities in all of the dup/clone posts, but what level was your ship when the cloning first happened? I know I had upgraded a few times already and had at least 7 or 8 crew on board.

4. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

Same here.

Right now my ship is at the last level before the maximum upgrade. I don't know how many crew I currently have but I can count.

5. Kinasin

Kinasin Void-Bound Voyager

So this wasn't fixed in latest patch?

6. Grayrabbit

Grayrabbit Void-Bound Voyager

Yap. it hadn't. At least they didn't mention on list.

7. Zephyrion

Zephyrion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nope. The many clones of my crew are still there, huddling around my storage lockers like the jerks they are.

I was hoping that Chucklefish would have fixed this by now, but I guess they were too busy fishing.

Kinasin likes this.
  8. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

dammit!

When will they fix this??

9. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

10. ehyder

Based on the mod description and comments I would say this mod is not going to solve the problem. I would say to ask the author specifically if this has been tested on helping to rid players of cloned crew. Hard to tell based on the modder's comments whether this is the case. I cannot comment on how much it might otherwise affect your game.

11. Hello! We did not manage to solve this in the last patch, and I'm sorry that people's games are still being affected by it. We are still looking into it.

Trinosaur likes this.
  12. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

Do you have any comment on my idea of a band-aid solution for the immediate problem, like a tool or command that allows us to delete the cloned crew members?

13. ehyder

Nor solved it with today's patch. Here is a list of cloning conditions I have collected across the forums (this one, Steam, Reddit)
    Known conditions:
    1. Happens on teleportation, whether you have crew with you or not.
    2. Once it happens it will happen again, it is just a matter of time.
    3. The tailor becomes unusable, the only way to deal with the tailor is to kill the NPC.
    4. Not mod-related, is happening to players with and without mods.
    5. Cloned crew are persistent, if you leave the cloned crew on a planet they are still there upon your return, whether you have travelled elsewhere or exited the game. Same with clones on your ship.
    6. Happens in MP and solo play. If it happens to you in MP it will continue to happen if you go back to that game in solo play.
    7. Can happen with only one crew member hired - don't know about status of ship upgrade, see below.
    Speculated conditions:
    1. Happens only after a few ship upgrades. I have only seen reports from people with the capability of having more than 4 crew, possibly at least 6.
    2. Related to lag/de-sync? Been mentioned a few times, but since lag is a major issue in and of itself this one is hard tease out. And then there is the issue that cloning happens in both MP and solo.
    3. May be able to resolve by rolling back to pre duplication universe and player folders. Can I just say as a solution, ugh?
    4. Other conditions?

And related to Preday, is there an admin command, or set of commands, we can use to deal with the duplication bug? This would be a huge time saver over any of the other work arounds. Something like, delete all crew, create crew based on [x] specs? And for those concerned about "cheating, yes this is "cheating" but the admin commands already allow cheating. If I can run around in god mode and kill anything or create any item I want, being able to clear out and reacquire my crew seems to me like an excellent use of admin commands - I might even be willing to play the game again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  14. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please use the edit function when making additions to your post.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

15. If you're experiencing this issue and not playing a modded version of Starbound, could you please send your saves to contact@chucklefish.org so that we can investigate further?

Please put your storage folder (on Windows, C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/storage) into a rar or zip archive and email it to us.
    If you've got multiple characters, please let us know which character(s) have duplicated crews.

Thank you! <3

16. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

I've had this too, but only when I had a tailor around. I fired the tailor (and poured lava onto her twin), never had this problem again.
    Made 2 other characters, spent many hours on them, upgraded their ships ot the max, never had the problem again.

I wonder if people without a tailor also have this problem.

17. ehyder

Yes, people without the tailor have this problem. The tailor just adds that extra special goodness if you have it as part of your crew.

18. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

Anyone still experiencing this bug, please do consider following the instructions in this thread (http://community.playstarbound.com/...n-is-on-lets-find-the-duplication-bug.124201/) and providing your debug-level logs there. @mollygos , I think that it might have something to do with caught exceptions not executing the proper cleanup code. That would match the random pattern we're seeing here (the bug happens infrequently and on random events). That's why I've started that thread, but unfortunately I'm failing to get any feedback from those still suffering from this bug.

Hope this hint proves useful, if you find it worth investigating.

metadept and mollygos like this.
  19. ehyder

@QuantumProjects: I think one reason you are not getting much feedback is that those of us who have been experiencing the bug for a while have subscribed to older threads on the topic and check in with those, not looking for additional threads. Especially since those threads are not getting much love either, from the developers or from players. Cross posting is a good idea and I have inserted your link into one of the, sort of, active Steam threads on this topic: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/3/352788917763886113/?ctp=6

20. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

Still hoping to get more information on this bug. I have a save file that one user helpfully provided including a duplicated crew, but the log files and reports so far don't seem to show any common patterns. If you have a log file (ideally without mods, but even with them) that you are very sure is from the session where the duplication actually happened, that would be the most useful thing at this point. If you're playing without mods and have a storage folder including duplicated crew that is also helpful, but again, much more so if the duplication just happened (within the most recent play session). Thanks!