Modding Help Dungeon Testing Question

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Astrus, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Astrus

Astrus Industrial Terraformer

I was hoping a dev or someone who's figured it out could help with the best way to test dungeons being built. Most likely changes to the planetgen.config file.

"spawnMonsters" : false,
    "spawnDungeonNearSpawn" : true,
    and whitelisting only your dungeon seem the obvious things.

But even so it's still hard, because I can't find my dungeon in the game and I don't know whether that's because there's something wrong with it, or it's just not showing up by chance.

So if anyone could clarify and provide a way to ensure a 100% chance of a dungeon being generated, that would be very helpful.

2. Astrus

Grrrr, this is getting frustrating... I went so far as to remove every other dungeon from the game, hoping it'd increase the chances of mine showing up... And it still isn't! I'm reasonably sure something is wrong with my design, but I can't figure out what... And I STILL can't be sure it's not just chance that's keeping the dungeon from genning.

Anyway, was hoping someone who's tried dungeon creation could take a look at my terrain map to see if anything is off... Here's the key.

pink - no-op value
    black - world gen must contain air background, allow overdrawing
    white - world gen must contain solid background, allow overdrawing
    grey - biome tile brush, allow overdrawing
    lightgrey - biome tile background brush
    green - concrete background
    deep red - concrete foreground + background
    red - plate background
    light red - rusty metal foreground + background

mineentrance.png

I'll also include all the relevant files in a .zip.

Anything would be helpful, thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

For some reason I can't open your attachment, but for a quick guess: make sure you've not used too much of the black or white brush. If used incorrectly, your dungeon could spawn underground, or worse, might not spawn at all due. Those brushes don't create solid or air blocks, but rather, every tile coloured with one of those blocks must be either contain a solid or air block, depending on the brush used. So if you've used these brushes inappropriately, the dungeon might never spawn.

Take /scifidungeon/entrance1.png as an example.

[​IMG]

Notice where the dungeon designer has used the black and white brushes -- on the left and right hand side, to mark how the dungeon should align with the world.

As I said, just a quick guess as I can't see the image.

4. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

Yea the upload function of the forum was buggy for me also. host it somewhere else.

I would be very interested if you guys figuring out the dungeons come up with a script to spawn them in a desired location.

5. Astrus

I've uploaded the map to an image site... http://imgur.com/jt9J9Lp

Also, right clicking on the broken image in the spoiler section and opening in a new tab sometimes works too.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Is there any way you could try this one instead, to see if it spawns?

[​IMG]

(I moved the solid and air brushes so they're similar to the ones in other dungeons)

7. Astrus

Tried it. And more. I tried editing the desert.surfacebiome file to replace all natural minidungeons with my dungeon. I also added my dungeon as a randomencounter dungeon while also being a standard dungeon (different names). I still couldn't find it. I'm giving up until someone else figures this out or a dev explains it, cause I'm clearly not up to the task :oops: