1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

dreadwing the penguin, too hard?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by AoiYami, Apr 18, 2015.

?

Is dreadwing the penguin too hard?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. no

40 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. haven't got there/no opinion/meh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

I've got to the point where I can consistently get it down to only 1 bar of health, but I'm using an ungodly amount of bandages (if I miss using just one I die) and I'm using my best gun and my best melee weapon. Both of the weapons have over 150 dps. I'm playing with full titanium armor and I'm still having a really hard time beating it, to the point that I'm not even sure if its possible to beat. I've even looked up the suggested ways to beat it, all of which don't really seem to work, the exploits don't work anymore, and the one stratage I was using at the beginning of trying to beat this I've abandoned becuase even though it avoids getting smashed by the ship its still too hard (so I opted for staying near the spawn spot to try it a bunch of times quickly rather then trying to get all the way over to that dumb spot) (edit: ok I did manage to beat it finally, but still using a combination of a bunch of bandages, a really good gun, and a really good melee weapon just seems like too much

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

High damage (dps doesn't matter vs bosses and NPCs) per attack weapons are where it's at.
    Also, medical kits, not bandages.
    Also food helps. And crouching in the little dips helps. Blocking can help.

I've never died to the penguin. And only twice to shockhopper (before I figured out his moves). Just gotta avoid taking heavy hits and heal off the weak hits.
    The boss fights in Starbound aren't on a timer, take your time if you must.

3. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

I make the point that medical kits cost like 5x the price of bandages (if you try to buy via pixles, I didn't know how to craft them before the fight, and didn't know it was possible). I figured out the food thing on my winning run, Idk how crouching could possibly help, and blocking seems useless because shields break and then you have to wait like 5 minutes. I tried the stupid dip at one point, it ended up causing me more damage then I took during my winning run of beating that stupid boss. The first boss was easy, despite dieing a bunch of times I only died because I didn't know how the boss worked, once I figured it out it was easy. But with the stupid penguin it doesn't even help to know how it works because don't matter what you do you can't avoid being damaged. I like to be able to fight the way I like, and with novakid I like staying at a distance and avoiding getting hit, but thats impossible with the penguin because your surrounded by enemies and it homes in on you so well that you can't really stay far away from it.

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Block with a two handed sword. Much more reliable

5. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

Are you using the correct tier of armor? When i played through him on unstable, his attacks didn't nearly one-hit me, i had ample time to heal them up again while dodging the next few. I find using a ranged weapon made it much easier too

6. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

I was using the correct armor, it wasn't that he was one hitting me, it was that I could bearly avoid being hit for long enough or hard enough to actually heal up. So if I missed one bandage I would be too low on health to handle the rest of the fight and would lose within the next few minutes. I actually had to switch to useing a melee wepon on the actual ufo penguin becuase apparently my gun wasn't doing enough damage to it (despite being about as good if not better than as my melee weapon...)

7. Hatesu

Hatesu Void-Bound Voyager

I put yes but I only had trouble with him when I tried with tech armor and ranged armor. When I went in with melee gear it was a relatively easy fight. I am not 100% sure though as I am on a borrowed machine until I fix mine. The fight was pretty laggy and there was no room for mistake in the ranged armors. Once I fix my rig I will try again and recast my vote if I find it to be easier.

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

That was a battle I loved out of the ones i did, or able to do. Not fought the trooper yet, and have yet to go back and fight the 1st boss from the beginning. Although do know what that first one is all about.

I mainly just used a 1-handed sword with my shield, and bandages with shield. I might have had a 2-handed sword as well. I have tried with a gun... that ended in failure.

I don't understand how you got your shield to break on that one, unless you stood still for too long. I know not everyone gets the handling of the shield, but for me it has worked with some trial and error.

To think all I did was run back and forth from spawn to a little ways and back to spawn. Oh I jumped attacked him sometimes, with or without the 2-handed weapon. Most the time I was using bandages. Wasn't till sometime after I beat that boss that the craftability of the medpacks opened up. I kept clearing the fledglings when he dropped more. I didn't clear the map of those guys, just the first area where I ran back n forth. I only had my shield up to block major damage or when I needed to heal. Those pellets for me were easily to dodge most the time. Granted I did get hit by those, but they don't really hurt much. When he falls I use my shield running briefly out of the way, then attacking him or healing in that moment, or both.

It did take me a while t defeat him, but then again I tend to go about battles pretty slowly... well slower than the average I guess; maybe not... I don't just jump into the fray.

Took me 3 times roughly. 1st was mainly to see the pattern, then second time I got down to a tick; but forgot to heal up. and third well... I haven't played or went back to that boss again yet. That was easily the most "fun" boss for me.:)

Some things just take patience and practice...

9. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

I said nothing about using shields, actually I didn't even attempt to use a shield.

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well in your second post, almost implied that.

Sure shield break, but it takes practice to avoid using up that breakage. I don't just hold up all the time. I only use them when needed.

Well regardless whether you did or not, it is how I managed to mitigate the damage sometimes throughout the battle, as well to heal every so often. I actually used less n less bandages with each try. I only took like 30-40 bandages. The third time I don't even think I used half that. But like I mentioned and imply, I have had a good bit of practice with the shield. I manage to due that perfect block every so often.

And like the last bit I say, patience and practice. It is just the way I go about the game I guess. After all everyone has a different playstyle.:)

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

He was hard, but not impossible. You need heavy hitting over DPS.

Tamorr likes this.
  12. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

like THATS POSSIBLE seriously, my good guns can't be used because the armor that would let me actually hit more then just once before my energy is out is impossible to use, and honestly I'm not going to even bother beating this boss if I can't at least use guns.

13. lazarus78

I used a rocket launcher... soo....

And if you want energy, switch over to the Unstable build. Energy regen is like 2-3 times faster. You can continually fire a rocket launcher because the regen is faster than its rate of fire.

FYI, I beat him in stable.

14. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

first, I tend to stay away from unstable because the word unstable suggests that the game may break... and one question, does that mean that when you use energy it doesn't lock up on regening (current stable build if you use energy it can't replenish for a moment) ? also I have actually beaten this particular boss, this isn't even the one that I hate the game for, I keep forgetting to check when thread I'm reading.

15. lazarus78

Its not really that unstable. I was skiddish at first, but I took the plunge.

The delay for when your energy starts to go back up is about the same, but it regenerates much faster. Takes like half a second tops to refill from dead empty. Energy requirements fr weapons have gone up, but the regen is fast so you aren't having to sit around waiting for it to fill up nearly as long.

16. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I thought he was disappointingly easy, tbh (in Upbeat Giraffe Stable a couple months back, anyway). He goes down quick with rocket launchers, sniper rifles, even hammers and broadswords if you're good. The penguins are a nuisance at worst.

17. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

Ok, I might bother playing unstable (since the boss this thread is about is beaten but another one is basically impossible if you try to fight the way I want to (and I keep forgetting to check which one I type in so I might have responded to you like it was the other one))

18. lazymaximus

lazymaximus Aquatic Astronaut

Honestly, aoi, all the bosses are really easy. Yeah I've died to them all at least once, but you've seriously made 2 threads about 2 of the 3 bosses in the game. Not to be rude, but really? stop complaining. Some practice, and or ANY shield usage makes all the bosses easy. DPS is not how you fight bosses in starbound, you hit hard, and dodge or block all their attacks. If you're having issues of being one-shot, switch to the melee armor then. This goes for the shockhopper fight too, the melee armor has incredibly high defense, you will lose like maybe 1 or 2 bars of total hp from any of shock's attacks. I know you want to play the game your way, but its a glass cannon for a reason, if you can't dodge or block every attack, maybe that play style isn't for you. And if you want to use ranged energy weapons, still use the melee armor, it has some limitations, but you'll live. And if you just run around on some planets opening boxes in villages & dungeon and such and breaking all the pixel pots on the ground for like 3 planets, you gain tons of pixels. I had like 7k one time without even realizing it just because I didn't die.

19. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

Not everyone is the same. Not everyone is going to find a boss that takes a very specific way of beating it with little to no misakes to be easy. Not everyone is a lifeless loser who spends 20,000 hours on the game. Complaining about the game having aspects that I don't like is a good thing to do, since its still in beta and can still be changed to be a better game, get over yourself. Would you have rather this game came out without any changes at all, just came out the moment that it seemed to work well enough to be called a game?

20. lazarus78

Lifeless? I am 25 years old, a full time job, pay bills, have a child. I wouldn't call that lifeless.

The bosses are fine. The only thing that really needs to change is the game's progression being tied to them. If they followed you for changes, the game would not be challenging at all.

You want the game to conform to you, well that is just a bass ackwards way of doing things. The game should be challenging, and if you can't beat it your way, then have you ever considered changing your way? hell, if we went your way, they might as well make you insta-win the game as soon as you start, because adapting your play style is just too hard.

Boshed likes this.