Does Stardew Valley Influence You in Real Life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seismothesaurus, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been thinking about some stuff lately and it got me to wondering: Have interactions with NPCs or other aspects of SV caused you to think about things in your real life differently or to change some of your behaviours?

I have a couple.

We all know how hard it is to interact with Seb before we can get into his room. How many hours have we spent lurking, waiting for that meal or smoke break? It made me think about how much I must be Seb to my friends, because I work weird hours from home and leave my place so rarely these days. It's easy to fall into this reclusiveness when you're also poor and struggle with mental health. Being an introvert and needing time alone is totally cool, but introverts have different levels of socialization needs, and 'alone time' can easily become 'isolation' without us noticing, I think. So I'm taking my interactions with Seb as a reminder to reflect on which side of that line I'm on at any given time.

I also have a very hard time living in the moment and taking in everything around me. SV has these nice, quiet moments that encourage us to just pause for a second and enjoy them. I try to do this more often now IRL, especially when it's raining, because I love the rain. 15 minutes on the balcony with a coffee instead of aimlessly looking at the internet. Stuff like that. We can only ever live in the present.

So... anybody else? :)

MasterYoba and LuthienNightwolf like this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure I can say it's necessarily changed my behaviors, but rather reinforced a lot of them.

I see a lot of the things I do/love reflected in Stardew Valley, and I guess that's why I love playing it so much. I'm already a pretty chill person, I like to just relax and observe, rather than needing to interact or be at the center of things all the time. (Quite frankly I don't really like the spotlight on me and that's why I find it so hard to stream on a regular basis.) Probably part of why I was instantly drawn to Sebastian is the fact that I'm a huge introvert myself, and I understand what it means to keep to yourself and enjoy your own company, and to be misunderstood for it. For many years I thought there was something wrong with me - why didn't I want to go out and party? Why did I just want to hang out alone in the hotel room at cons? Why did I like being home so much instead of going out and having a social life? It took a long time for me to come to the realization that it's perfectly normal for some people and totally okay to find more comfort in quiet reflection vs. any activity involving crowds. I wasn't a hermit, or an outcast, or cold...I just needed to have that alone time to recharge my mental battery. Once I learned that it was a thing and it had a name, it was like a light switched on and I found this whole new way to understand myself. I immediately caught that when I read his profile on the wiki, and I get kind of annoyed at people who put him down because he "hides in his room" because I know that he's not hiding, he's just asking for his space.

I appreciate Linus too, for his closeness with nature. Living in the city makes it kinda hard to really get out and commune with it (at least not without a good deal of travel), and being in an apartment, you aren't really afforded the luxury of a spacious yard with a big garden. It's easy to get stuck in a rut of being on the computer all day or just staying indoors to avoid the weather (and people), and sometimes I forget to just go outside and get some sunshine and fresh air. His little dialogues are reminders to just go out and talk to the trees, or appreciate the beauty of the outdoors and all the benefits we receive from it. I guess in the same sense Leah is a reminder too, though I get the vibe a lot more from Linus because he lives in it, rather than simply visiting.

• Seismothesaurus

I know what you mean about the spotlight. I'm still severely uncomfortable with the idea of being the centre of attention to the point where I won't even tell most people my birthday in case they try to do something cruel like give me a present, lol. I do like going out with friends, and even the occasional party, but there's a lot of recharge time involved. People who need to be busy and social every day kind of blow my mind (as do streamers who point a camera at themselves!). My daily life is a lot like Seb's--other than the living with parents and smoking next to a lake all night--so I definitely respect where he's at, all jokes about getting to him aside.

Yeah, it's very easy to get stuck. I prefer the big city over small towns, but yikes. I need to get out of my apartment and hide in the woods for a couple of days at least once per year (easier said than done if you don't drive). My body always comes back from camping broken, but the rest of me feels refreshed. Linus's spine must be made of iridium.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I eat more eggplant parmesan.

MasterYoba and PTpirahna like this.
          • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I don't really think it has influenced my behavior in real life much, but it has definitely made me think about a lot of different things and made me appreciate a lot of things.

I've had a pretty good life IRL. It has been a rollercoaster of course as life is, but all things considered, it's been pretty good. And a lot of the backstories to the SDV characters reminds me of that, reminds me to be appreciative.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Not really no. Mostly I just see it as a REALLY fantastic game and a great farming sim that gives me everything I always wanted in Harvest Moon. Although, I did buy a pint of blueberries at Aldi's yesterday... I love Blueberries. And I generally plant them like a madman in the Summer. So, okay, maybe it did affect me a little. ;)

• Seismothesaurus

I'm also feeling inspired to do some actual planting in the near future. We had a bunch of cooking herbs when I lived in Texas for a couple of years, but the summer of 117°F fried them all, and after that, it was all succulents for me.

My planters are currently shameful and full of weeds, but if finances aren't so tight in a month or so, I'd like to plant some garlic for harvesting next year. I'm not a huge fan, but my partner is, and it seems to be a very easy one. I'd also really like to try those box mushrooms you can just nail up on your wall. Gotta be creative with apartment life.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

the biggest thing for me, though it's pretty cheesy, is that i was having a lot of problems when i was in college because i was really trapped between being forced to go everywhere thanks to pushy roommates and just getting to do what i wanted to do. while i knew the concept of the introvert, i never really considered myself one; i can be pretty loud and outgoing when it counts. but really, i think seeing a lot of myself in sebastian had me realize that i exhibited a lot of introverted behaviors. it wasn't necessarily an excuse to stop going out but it did help me do more things that would relax me and just giving myself a break from people, since it'd exhaust me a lot

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                  • The take-care

The take-care Void-Bound Voyager

It didn't teach me anything that i hadn't thought off before. However I play the soundtruck a lot in my head when I'm not listening to anything. It really nice especially at nightime

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I'm probably going to have to say that it helped inspire me to grow a bunch of things on my balcony this year. That's always fun.
                      Other than that, it mostly hits me when shopping (as some others have mentioned it does them as well); "Oh, apples... but it's not the right season!", or "Leeks. I should throw those into the pickling jars!"
                      :3

• springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

I'm starting to think I should learn to can and preserve. My whole life I've been spoiled by delicious homemade applesauce (to the extent that store bought makes me gag), apple butter, strawberry jam, and canned peaches.

• Seismothesaurus

I once spent a couple of days canning cherries with my ex's family. It was really cool to take part in that process, but OMG was it physically exhausting. Between the picking, sorting, destemming, and pitting, my hands were gone. So maybe don't pick cherries for a first attempt. :rofl:

I don't think it's cheesy. :) It's great that it helped you.

Mega IRL downer warning (suicide, so skip this spoiler if you don't want to read about that):
                          SV also helped me survive the suicide of one of my closest friends the month before I started playing. My best friend also died a few years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with what happens to my mental health when I lose somebody. Having SV helped me make sure that I didn't spiral and lose either of my jobs or worse. It may have just been a distraction, but it was the distraction I really needed. It's just such a safe game, and that's comforting. I'm so glad that nobody in this town can die and everything stays how it is. Some people are asking for updates or mods to change that, but I absolutely never would.

• Jack Of Shades

It's things like this that should make people realize games can be more than mindless entertainment. It's a creative art form that allows creator and user to benefit in ways no other medium can allow.

• Alphapharmer

Alphapharmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

It inspired me to get moving and treat my real life as if I was playing Stardew Valley. Meaning get to work improving your situation financially and socially and win at life.

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Spinach is also a very easy to grow vegetable and can also grow in a bit cooler seasons.
                                And there are a lot of "weeds" that actually are very tasty and healthy. They are often mistaken for useless or annoying plants, but a lot of them have a lot of ways to either help you with your health or just taste really good. I don't know the names in English.... But I love to go out to the river near my flat where also an unused field is and collect herbs and fruits there.

• Alphapharmer

Alphapharmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Goddamn, NOBODY around here appreciates hard work and dedication.

• Jack Of Shades

Oh believe me brother, I didn't need this game to light the fire under my ass. Its been lit for some time.

• PoppiesInJuly

PoppiesInJuly Void-Bound Voyager

The first time i played through the game i married Sam, and it was very strange. he's exactly the kind of guy i'd go for when i was younger, but now wouldn't date. it made me realize just how much i've changed as i've gotten older.
                                      Stardew has also made me want to have a garden of my own, and learn to cook whatever i grow.

• Seismothesaurus

Nobody around where?

• Dark_Yehn

Dark_Yehn Void-Bound Voyager

Yes it has an effect. and All the efforts are appreciated. Maybe a review will help, offer a different slant.

11/10 Essential Gamer/Preper training survival horror simulator.

The essential tester. When the dark days come and you feel you have learnt that luxury of spending your resources on the power you have.

That learning time because every game teaches something, we know that.

The horror? It has achievements, all based with shadows and silhouettes. It has a class system, and you can play yourself and receive the elders blessing in time, maybe.

One of your goals is succession
                                          There are only a few residents, will you rush your off-spring to achieve your goals and blessing sooner? Will you see where you fit in the community and let life take its course? There can be one partner and three offspring.

One of your goals is knowledge
                                          The shadows hinting at the unknown test you, local knowledge can be traded for kipple and time.

The trainer prep, It saves at midnight each day, and only at midnight each day.
                                          Permadeath: Ironman: SaveScumming: Pausing to assess, taking stock, Dorst? It treats all.
                                          Want to dance with the moon light jellies before you have had to kill your share and the shadows catch up to you and all is known?

All before midnight:
                                          Wondering what you could have done differently. Knowing where you could have been better, what you forgot to do.

All before the resources run out, the time is up.
                                          Will you utilise outside resources that will not be available in those dark days. Will you spend other resources and other time then to make them available in the game now?

The container is half full half empty. There is more to come. The residents can forget you, but you will never forget them when you go chasing shadows, or trying different lands. That was the extra twist recently added to turn the screw.

If you seek all the knowledge, to know all the shadows, are you sure you want to be the desire of all suiters? Will you be happy with who you are anyway when you play yourself.

I look forward to forgetting this time so I can learn again. Clincher? There is chaos to break every plan you make if you choose. The community board.