Modding Discussion Do we NEED modding necromancers?! :rip:

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Techgeniu, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Techgeniu

Techgeniu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bonjour mein gut personnes!

Please, be welcome and forgive my spelling mistakes! :3

I have been asking myself for a long while now, this puzzling question, with every stable (no horses) update something new comes alive; improvements, features and cool new items, new hats (because yes), but at a cost I'm many of you whose not been living in a couch eating weeks old pizza know; Mods are dying...:cry:

And at a surprisingly rate too, there are mods that were released for Koala that I miss very much, but I don't know a Jack about modding in starbound-ish, I tried it once only to have the game disintegrate in the incognito tempus and be teleported into a distant void in another dimensional plane... :fireball::pwease:

Anyway, while some people can argue that it's not our "right" to touch someone else's work, I invoke my right to advocate this situation based on pure common sense; We have no information whether the mod author plans to come back into modding any time soon by that I mean, this "decade".. or never again mod starbound, whilst their work, amazingly made mods just sit there, waiting for the inevitable death of their download links. :rip:

I'm no stranger to modding, I know the expectations, I know the hectic schedule people often has, I used to modify lots of games, specially Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and a few less important others... the nexus modding community has a "continuation" policy where people have the right to reanimate mods from long gone authors, or act on their behalf to update the mods, denying all the credits, it's common sense! lately, this modding community has been quite slim, releasing often less quality mods, whilst a huge library of outdated mods just sit in the "Outdated Mods" section..

My point is, at long last.. Why we don't take the responsability to revive some of those mods? update it, upgrade it, do all it takes to see that they reach next year without falling into the void :boo:

Rights be thrown out of the window in this case, will we let some of the coolest pieces of Starbound Modding History die because the author is long gone in the abyss? (I mean not gone, literally, not in the sense of death, just AWOL... please forget this...) :facepalm:

Thank you all that came here, I tried my best to express this situation, so forgive me I have made any mistakes, and I'm willing to change whatever is unduly placed in this thread.

See y'all.

Pixelguru26 and Mouseizure like this.
  2. CommanderEwok

CommanderEwok Subatomic Cosmonaut

Best Answer
    That's what I think should happen too. The problem is that Starbound is a great game, but it takes a long time to update with new content. And in that time between updates people lose interest and wander away, modders included. So if a mod author has, to the knowledge of all present wandered away never to return, then I don't see any problem with trying to continue their work if it was good enough to warrant continuing. Unless you're trying to pass it off as your own original idea, then I have a problem with it.

Techgeniu likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

4. Techgeniu

That's why I tagged "Modding Discussion", I would've liked to read opinions on the matter rather than the denying outright, but I see the point. Not that I agree with it, but I see. " mods are protected under real-life copyrights." Taken for granted. If anyone take the initiative, someone's gotta go really upset and lawsuit and no one wants that..

5. CommanderEwok

Me personally, I say yes. But only if the owner of the mod in question seems to have disappeared for longer then a few months. If they are still around but just haven't touched it in ages then I don't think you should try to update their work without asking permission first.

Techgeniu likes this.
  6. Mouseizure

Mouseizure Void-Bound Voyager

You sir, have a good point. Dragonith is still working on the Chocobo Mounts mod, which was for Koala. I managed to fix my old homemade Koala mod, it wasn't too hard, but yeah, It's broken in some parts.

Techgeniu likes this.
  7. Techgeniu

Agreed, but following the text our moderator brought us, mods are protected by the international government laws, and as much they sound overcautious behavior (nearing cowardly), what could happen is very simple, "unauthorized continuation" when you take charge of updating someone else work without their permission is a form of theft, any modder who has their work stolen that way, can ask for a lawyer and open a case about it, that's what they're afraid of, and I see their point here, even though I feel that's just "overcautious" behavior as an excuse to let good mods die slowly... most people would like to see their work continued, but most people isn't "everyone".

And I also agree with you, there are mods out there, mods like "USMC Enchanced" that it should be updated, at least to the stable version, there isn't anything terrible wrong with updating someone's work to a functional version, they might just not like it and take the matter for real.

With every update something breaks, and some people go away, and perhaps they will never return, they abandon their work, we shouldn't allow that to happen, even if it goes as bold as to update it and put it online for continuation, I think the authors would like to see their hard-work continued and if they don't, well.. let it die then.. just exclude the updated mod and forget about, make something new, similar, but not awfully the same.

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If you can find me a mod with their asset permissions set to "Anyone", I could try my hand at updating it.

I've already done so for Compact Crops and Pop-Off Lighting, both of which were based on Outdated Mods, because I liked those mods back in the day.

That's because he and Crystan are BOTH working on updating the mod. Dragonith is the artist, Crystan is the coder, and together they are awesome - but I can't say for certain Dragonith would know how to update his Chocobo Mounts without Crystan.

(No offense intended if you see this, Drago. You know I'm a friend)

Mouseizure and Techgeniu like this.
  9. Techgeniu

Well, there are lots of mods out there that need updating, I'm not sure you could actually update them all because I'm told you need to know these mods very well to know what's actually conflicting - But take your pick, StarBooze is actually handing out it's resources to anyone willing to update it!

This is a FAVORITE of mine:

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/united-systems-enhancement.2233/

And the Author was last seen septemper 22 - 2014

I'm sure he'd like his mod in the very least updated to the stable version, I mean, just look at it. It's Awesome for human players such as me, now with the colony system, I feel its lack deeply :/

10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Problem:

As I clearly stated in my post, I will only accept mod update requests matching a certain Asset Permissions setting. I am sorry. It's a distribution issue.

StarBooze is a possibility, but I recall there being a guy working on it already... whatever. :disshappy:

Techgeniu likes this.
  11. Techgeniu

Oh.. that's a pity.. :down: but I suppose he would only take that approuch so no one would simply take his resource and do a mod like his and well, take all the credit, if it were mine, I'd be so happy if someone could continue it for me :/

I mean; I think it is the case with most of whats been happening lately, you look like a reliable modder Mackinz, and I have seen your nickname being honoured more than once by different modders.. you wouldn't do anything that could possibly bring any harm to anyone else's work would you? that makes me think why we need to be so strickly bound to such rules..

(yeah sure, lawsuits, we need to follow the rules else we risk devolving to sub-species and barbarism and a whole lot of bad reasons)

But this is serious, the links of certain mods will die off eventually, it can't stay up indefinitely, isn't considerative as a last measure.. to reupload or in the very least update to stable versions without doing harm?

12. CommanderEwok

I'd like to see the Mauraders armor mod updated again. It was my favorite armor/weapon mod for end-game Tier gear.

Techgeniu likes this.
  13. Techgeniu

I remember the Marauders mod, it was booming when I first joined this community, it was a cool design if a bit too OP, but I think its very doable, has the author allowed continuation in some sort?

14. CommanderEwok

Sadly no, I asked if anyone was willing to update it for Enraged Koala and someone here took it up. But then the mods put out the quidelines on not reviving mods without permission so they had to stop. They told me they had sent a note asking for permission but got no reply.

Techgeniu likes this.
  15. Techgeniu

Just as I thought, people fail to realize that some modders might be gone for good, isn't honourable to continue their work? Man, if I had to take someone else's work, just to see it working again, functional, I'd do it, and if the author somehow came back and didn't like what I did, then I would most certainly take down my fixes and pass it to him so he can properly rework it.. dude, there are tons of mods here, they're just waiting to be updated to work again, tons, we are bound not to touch them unless authorized, what if the author never comes back? there should be a deadline, at least 1 year without activity so the mods get a "Abandoned" classification allowing us to revive it, so we don't see good mods dissapear.. forever.

16. CommanderEwok

Best Answer
    That's what I think should happen too. The problem is that Starbound is a great game, but it takes a long time to update with new content. And in that time between updates people lose interest and wander away, modders included. So if a mod author has, to the knowledge of all present wandered away never to return, then I don't see any problem with trying to continue their work if it was good enough to warrant continuing. Unless you're trying to pass it off as your own original idea, then I have a problem with it.

Techgeniu likes this.
  17. Techgeniu

Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind the moment I made this thread, the fact we can't touch any of the mods that the authors are long gone is a deficiency in this community, I think, and it's due time we petition a change to this current system, we should be allowed to continue mods after a time the author hasn't come back, that way, we can keep the community flourishing with content, we can set rules to regulate and control the revival of mods, such as never claming the credits for the creation of said mod, never changing it too completely, only fitting it to stable updates, that being.. Making it compatible in all ways with the current game state, willingly handing out authority to the author if he ever manages to come back, the authors must also acknowledge the effort put by the volunteer modder to keep his work alive and updated, this way, all of us, even the devs benefit from this :up:

18. CommanderEwok

Only problem I can see is that people might be more interested in updating old mods then in making new ones. Which would be a real bummer since new mods can be just as good as old ones if not better.

Techgeniu likes this.
  19. Techgeniu

Like all things in life.. there must be sacrifice in some measure, sure.. it would suck if you updated a mod so much and the author came back and claimed it, but it's common sense, you're using his resources, you can't take it to heart and think you own it. Also, you cannot limit creativity, I have seen already lots of mods in this community that does the same thing as the other, they just follow a different perspective, a "different script", if you will, if someone updates a mod, and makes something anew with what he learned, it is his right, if someone makes something anew using resources from the mod he updated, it is theft, the scales are different here, the measure is unequal, you must put the weight equally for all to work nicely.

20. Mouseizure

Mouseizure Void-Bound Voyager

There's one thing we can all agree on. Shit Happens.

Techgeniu likes this.
  21. CommanderEwok

True enough.