1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed do we get the steam keys now or at beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CrimsonFresh, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom-Wolf

Phantom-Wolf Big Damn Hero

I really hope that'll be the case. I cannot pre-order (mostly) because it's in USD currency, in Steam I can buy it in my own currency.

Ἄνουβις likes this.
  2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

When we release on Steam there will be a button at the top of the Humble Bundle Page to allow you to get a steam code.

failcake, skuld, DBeslan and 2 others like this.
  3. whatsup747

whatsup747 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hence why we don't have steam keys...yet.

4. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

You're talking in circles. Don't blame me for how you worded your original statement.

5. whatsup747

whatsup747 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not blaming you for anything. I'm going to stop now before it turns into a full blown argument. I suggest you do too

DBeslan likes this.
  6. Lazypeanut

Lazypeanut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Molly mentioned in an interview that beta would be on early access on steam

7. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

A mod also mentioned it

I think its fine and all but I mean it's just when it's on steam YEA more people will know about it but then more people will steal it :p
    And yea I know either way eventually people are going to steal it but it could easily be delayed a little while longer

8. LoLaZo

LoLaZo Yeah, You!

You will receive key and dl link when beta released.

9. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

Yeah, I guess you're right. Wouldn't want me accidentally starting an argument over nothing, or anything like that.

whatsup747 likes this.
  10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Which, for a small developer making a quality game without much in the way of a marketing budget, might actually help it. A few studies point that piracy doesn't significantly change the amount of money spent on the pirated products, it just shifts the money from bad products with good advertising towards good products without much advertising. I also remember an interview with the people behind GOG saying that they actually have a better conversion rate from players that pick a pirate copy than from advertisement.

For the record, I've already purchased the game and I don't condone piracy. I just don't think that trying to fight piracy just for the sake of it is good for the game; besides, I dislike DRM, to the point I flat out refuse to purchase games with some specific kinds of DRM, no matter how good they are or how much I want to play them.

11. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Yea I know it just makes my blood boil beyond believable points when someone pirates a game

And yes on the other hand piracy can help such as a movie distributor looking at the top list of pirates movies and then selling those instead but either way you cannot justify pirating even if it is helpful it's sickening

12. Hasaosan

Hasaosan Big Damn Hero

you can still preorder. Make a PayPal account and send in the same amount of money it would req based on your areas currency (aka convert your money into the usd equivalent) and send that to paypal and then order the game.

13. failcake

failcake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I kinda love USD currency because its cheaper that euro :3

And like 324 people said, you go to your humble page, click on starbound, click on get steam key, put it on steam, ???, profit.

14. Elenoe

Elenoe Big Damn Hero

that would be great. It would solve many problems with constant updates and several branches. But not sure how would "beta invite" work as that would be quite messy on Steam.

Also it means that it takes a while to beta since no Starbound in database yet and it takes at least week or two to get it right.

15. Lazypeanut

Lazypeanut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They send out Beta keys to our emails.

16. Plaggor

Plaggor Void-Bound Voyager

Does that "low" budget include the 2 mil weve given them? :p

17. Nikolai5

Nikolai5 Master Chief

That is because the game's alpha or beta has not been released to the public. I don't get your confusion? You didn't know that you could play beta's on steam and I'm telling you that you can as there are right now. The reason its not in early access now is because the game is not ready for beta yet they don't want you to play it yet so you can't.

18. Croyd

Croyd Big Damn Hero

Here is something Tiy posted in his twitter that isn't talking about beta exactly but says they will probably favor steam for it because it is easier to update regularly.

http://pastebin.com/xaSRGGr8

19. Althalos

Althalos Void-Bound Voyager

Good I'm hoping it's on steam that would be much more convenient for me.

Evinagro likes this.
  20. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Given that most of those $2M will likely be spent in developing the game, with little going to marketing, yeah. I expect StarBound to have a quite small marketing budget, specially when compared with games by large publishers, and to rely more on word of mouth than on advertisement.

Which, if the game is half as good as I expect it to be, puts it in a situation where some piracy might actually increase it's revenue due to increased awareness about the game. Thus, I'm not concerned about piracy hurting the game, or the possibility of having the game on Steam's Early Access increasing piracy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.