1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed do we get the steam keys now or at beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CrimsonFresh, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonFresh

CrimsonFresh Poptop Tamer

i have just preorderd the game but i dont seem to have the steam key i was wondering if you get it when beta starts or if somthing is wrong?

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  2. Cozza LIVE

Cozza LIVE Void-Bound Voyager

When the beta and full game is released, then you will be emailed the steam key.

3. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

For now there is no info on whether we will get a steam key for Beta

but yes you will eventually be emailed when Beta/Full release is released
    (The release date for Beta is this year)

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  4. Cozza LIVE

hmm... I thought I remember reading somewhere that they email the steam key for the beta as well?

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  5. NightFire

I don't believe there will be beta on steam... Seeing how many issues and leaks it would cause

it's been discussed though

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  6. Cozza LIVE

In my opinion I would prefer the beta not to be released on steam because isn't preordering it now's bonus is that you get beta access? If it is on steam it kinda defeats the point...

ImmortalFrog, Gredd18 and Lachee like this.
  7. NightFire

Well correct me if I'm wrong but the game will still be open to pre-orders once beta is released so either way the point of pre-ordering is defeated :p

MDoubleM and ImmortalFrog like this.
  8. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I would just like to mention i think for security purposes they will just let you know it is on your humble page so someone can't just get into your email and steal your key.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  9. NightFire

I would hope so because i always get alerts time to time from gmail about someone with the IP adress from Asia trying to access my email

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  10. Cozza LIVE

I think it does both, but it says on the humble page that when the beta becomes available it will show up on this page.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  11. whatsup747

whatsup747 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How could you get a steam key for something that isn't even released?

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  12. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

This thread has the most "I don't know but i'll say this anyways" posts I've ever seen.
    It's just back to back. Ya'll need to stop inferring information without a source and giving it off as actual knowledge.

@OP, You can't get a steam key because the game isn't out or in beta. No definitive information has been released if the beta will be on steam, The FAQ page simply states about the games release.

BetleJuice, Tlarby and ImmortalFrog like this.
  13. Lomi

Lomi 2.7182818284590...

Given that the game is ordered through humble bundle the usual procedure (should the beta be released on Steam) is for Humble Bundle to e-mail you when the keys are distributed to let you know. Then you log onto Humble Bundle and claim your key from there. It is pretty straight forward.

ImmortalFrog and linkthegamer like this.
  14. Artur

Artur Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't mind seeing the game on steam early access though.

I'd imagine it'd be easier giving feedback this way while also satisfying everyone waiting for his steam-key at the same time.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  15. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I don't recall what has been decided but they have discussed making it early access. Not sure how a feel about it, steam forums/community hubs are kinda horrible soul crushing places at first especially when the game even sorta kinda looks like an existing game and/or is made of some form of square or "retro" looking graphics.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Using Steam to distribute the Beta and opening the game for sale on Steam are different things. A few games I backed on KS or similar sites used Steam to distribute the beta before the game was accessible for non-backers; two of them (Grim Dawn and Project Zomboid) still haven't opened the game for sale, on early access or otherwise, despite using Steam to send the game and updates to us backers.

I don't have details, but it appears that Steam is actually cheap as a distribution platform when you take a look at the hosting costs for the devs/publisher.

PolarStar, ImmortalFrog and Nikolai5 like this.
  17. Nikolai5

Nikolai5 Master Chief

I guess you don't use steam much. There is an entire section called "early access" where you can purchase games that are in beta or alpha. Therefore the games are not fully released but are still on Steam.

ImmortalFrog and Gredd18 like this.
  18. whatsup747

whatsup747 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well it ain't on 'Early Access' currently.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  19. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

Maybe that's because the Beta hasn't come out.

Yeah, that could be a part of it.

camelFun and ImmortalFrog like this.
  20. As far as I know there will be early access for Beta on Steam.

skuld, failcake and ImmortalFrog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.