1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the Glitch Still have a Hive-Mind?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sparklink, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Before the lore rewrite of Starbound 1.0 the Glitch were a part of a hive-mind; when the lore rewrite came around it the hive-mind concept appeared to have been removed completely. I opened this discussion to determine if the hive-mind is still a thing; and determine the general ratio of self-aware to not aware Glitch.

2. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think that self aware Glitch or outcasts could be aware of them being a failed simulation, and have freed themselves from the medieval time period like everyone else thinks. A Glitch at the Outpost remarks that there are more technological and beautiful constructions than the Outpost. The work of a group of outcasts could possibly out do the Miniknog.

There is also the possibility in which they aren't exactly self-aware of being in a simulation.... Something they experienced could've fixed the glitch in their programming, and since the Glitch who are still in the simulation have been in the medieval stage for SO LONG, after the glitch was fixed, the simulation jumped forth into the "modern" or "futuristic" stage, where they can build space ships. At this point, they can understand many techy objects and not call it witchcraft. They look at their medieval brethren and notice a glitch in their programming, they're still in the medieval stage. Fools I say...! They could know about the simulation and believe they are FREE from it, but knowing they are in the simulation could be part of the space age section of the simulation. It could all be a test! Space age could be the "final frontier" of the simulation, and the creators of the Glitch award them for making it this far without blowing themselves up by granting them self awareness....! They didn't gain this by themselves.....but atleast they're free, right?

Something which could SET ALL OF THE GLITCH LORE ON FIRE IS THIS: "Sadness. I wonder when I'll be able to see the Sun with my own eyes again." Glitch characters say this upon inspecting the Sol Model light. http://starbounder.org/Sol_Model

EDIT: By their own eyes again, they could be referring to just seeing Sol again with their robot eyes....

3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I'd recommend you to read all the Glitch codexes before proceeding. Most notable are, I'd say:
    Your usual Glitch are completely unaware that they're machines. They are not a hivemind, at least not in the usual sense, but they are all a part of the same simulation, all pre-programmed with the same blind spots. Even when interacting with other races and learning from them, they stay true to their medieval mindsets and lifestyles, with the Glitch Baron perhaps being the finest example.

Self-aware Glitch, on the other hand, are described as an incredibly low percentage. These are the Glitch who begin to realize that they're robots stuck in a simulation, and that they had to be originally created and programmed by someone. These instances of a Glitch doctor thinking he's unable to fix machines, or common Glitch folk assembling another Glitch on their own despise typically lacking the proficiency to do so? A self-aware Glitch is simply able to notice the absurdity of these situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017
  4. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

@Sligneris I have read all of the lore books and more. though I am a little confused by one detail; you said

Are you saying that the Baron is unaware? I thought that he was self-aware because.

The unaware Glitch think that they are fully organic beings; and self-awareness came about when they realized that they are inorganic (I think this is, or was, the exact wording of the game). And they are designed to prevent them from realizing that they are organic in every way possible such as eating, sleeping, medicine, and reproduction being done in complete private. At the outpost the Baron states "Excited. Esther has been showing me how to mend broken protectorate weapons. If only I could fix up my own rusted body. Ha ha ha!" making a comparison of technology to his own body, I think that he is self-aware. The Baron also had a teleporter that he seemed fully confident and capable of using; I would think that some one within a full medieval mindset would fear a piece technology like that and would compare it to witchcraft.

I also think that all of the Glitch you encounter are self-aware for two reasons;

1. The Glitch you meet never threaten you, call you outcast, or show resentment of any kind. Sure there are those violent Glitch in those dark castles, but you also encounter Human bandits, Avian Fanatics, Apex scientists who would take your brains; any species could be hostile towards their own or any other kind.

2. (This always confused me prior to 1.0) Is the fact that the Glitch have expanded beyond their home planet. It seems more likely that all of the unaware Glitch are still ignorantly going about their medieval ways on their home planet; this seems more likely because being stuck in a medieval mindset has stunted their ability to advance. They state in "Medicine Among the Glitch" that a skilled Glitch surgeon, unbeknownst to himself, would be able to easily mend a broken vehicle. Perhaps becoming self-aware allowed them to put what they know about mending Glitch into building technology.

5. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Alright, it appears I might've been wrong about the Baron then. What I have to admit actually is confusing is telling the Glitch who are self-aware Glitch apart from the ones who are not.

If you want my guess, I'd say that Glitch who aren't self-aware can also be heard casually talking about their metal body parts, or about their programming. This might actually be included in their blind spots. It sounds like they're acknowledging that they're machines, but in practice, they are completely oblivious to the real implications of the words they're using.

The way in which the Baron mentions his rusted body is the same way any old man would mention their aged body. The way Mechanical Machinations mentions programming, is the same way medieval folk would mention destiny. I can't say I know for sure, but that's what seems most likely to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  6. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I'm inclined to agree. It's not as simple as them not knowing they're mechanical. More like they don't/can't see the significance of this.