Divorce / Break-up?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dynafols, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I am curious will there be any chance that we will have the ability to file for divorce in Stardew or have some form of break-up in at least the dating stage?

I remember from the last HM game I had played, while there was no divorce, there was at least a way of breaking up with your partner through the means of, basically ignoring them.

So along with this, I would like to suggest some other ideas that could relate to this.
    1) Trust factor and events. By this I mean based on how loyal and/or who your partner is exactly, they very well may go cheat on you. An example would be your wife who you have been ignoring for a while ends up going to her best-friend and well... you get the idea. However it doesn't have to be all just "because you ignored them" or "you were mean to them" scenarios. Another idea could be your partner who has a bit of a drinking problem, and ends up at a bar on night, will you be there to help her/him out, or leave it completely based on their own faith in you, with the touch of being a little tipsy?
    2) Different People, Different Ideals. Again, from HM, I remember of this highly religious person who was a bit of a secret bachelorette. So I got to thinking, what if based on their personalities and ideals will affect their loyalty, trust, and how much faith they may have. Naturally different people will have different faith in others and in their beliefs. But of course there are problems in this... as in players wanting to pick other people (for say looks and such forth), but yet wanting them to be extremely loyal. Should one go more realistic or just see every single boy and girl as fruit for the picking? Or shall it be realistic and your own personality and characteristics will determine other people's loyalty in you as an individual. This could be a problem.
    3) Murder. How dark can this game become? So far this is appearing to be a very light hearted game, but could you become just plain evil and murder your spouse? (I'm not saying I would, I just want to know if I could!)
    4)Cheating. Could you cheat? And if you do, would it simply just make every one in the village hate you for a certain period of time? Or could cheating get you the attention of some interesting individuals, leading to another storyline where you could continue down the more dirty and naughty route, or perhaps pulling something amazing and earn the trust of your villagers back?

I don't know, I was just curious while wanting to offer up some ideas. Meh.

JohnnyMustang likes this.
    • Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Uh... Murder?
      This isn't fable here!

But I'm thinking... DIVORCE COURT! Lets tape it. Maybe online your friends can be the jury!

• Torang12

Torang12 Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds interesting enough.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

You'll be able to break up with your partner... either initiated by you or by your unhappy spouse. Also, your partner can get jealous if they think you are acting suspiciously with the other marriage candidates. I want marriage to be interesting, helpful, and maybe even challenging at times.

EltonScone, TheDune, Red_Rose and 8 others like this.
          • Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

So like real life? :)
            Off-Topic(kinda): Are you married CA?

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking forward to this ;)

• falseangel

falseangel Phantasmal Quasar

Hrrmmmm... This should be interesting, I too am looking forward to how this develops

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

Sounds like there's going to be a curfew when you're married.

But I think each girl or boy should have their own restrictions (or pros and cons).

Dynafols likes this.
                  • Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

That sounds awesome. It was always kind of annoying in Harvest Moon that once you got married and had a kid you could just ignore your spouse pretty much.

• Nodnarbtocs

Nodnarbtocs Orbital Explorer

This is actually a concept I never see in any games short of life sim. LETS DO IT!

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Good, I like that we can have divorce. Just as long as your spouse/significant other doesn't get jealous if you have high friendship with everyone, because that could be annoying.

• weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

Are we talking like HM64 levels of spousal abuse, or just awkward falling out?

• Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

I expect your wealth to be cut in half upon a divorce.

• DontheDon

DontheDon Void-Bound Voyager

Personally this is an amazing feature. I think Harvest Moon just wanted to stay away from it because of the 'idea' of divorce. CA, your making a masterpiece.

• QueenAryca

QueenAryca Void-Bound Voyager

I vote for a murderer DLC :viking:

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

But I like my waifu...

• SpaceClown

SpaceClown Star Wrangler

he said there will be divorce

• JohnnyMustang

JohnnyMustang Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds amazing. Glad that this is finally becoming a thing amongst these games. The OP idea sounds pretty solid by the way.

I was thinking it'd be interesting if your couple's friend friendship level decreases if you cheat on your couple.