1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Directional Rail Tram Elevator - No Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Marul, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Marul

Marul Void-Bound Voyager

Hello!
    I just made a simple video demonstrating about how to make a directional rail tram.
    I couldn't find any video related that really works well and i see a lot people having trouble to make one so i decided to make one. I liked the result and i would like to share! :D

a curious pic!

[​IMG]

Resuming:

The button calls the rail stop, switches and elevator to open a path.
    Each time the elevator is called it will pass through the sensors which is also wired from the oposite switch. While a path is called the others switches will stay closed because they wasn't trigged or called.
    The sensors are only there to open all the switches while you're in the elevator so you can go and stop at any direction you want and since you wont press any button it wont trigger the rail stop or else you couldn't stop at the place you want.
    For a long distance trail, you can try extend the time of the rail stop when you press the button or improve it with a new rail sensor and put it at a block or two before the rail sensor from the switches and don't forget to wire the new rail sensor to the rail stop plus use a new sensor to detect you to "not" active the rail stop when you use the elevator and there's a bunch of possibilities that you can do. I will let you think on the rest or maybe later i will make a video with a really complex wire (as i mean not as an amount of wires but one of those mind break). :D

I love your games chucklefish! <3

DraikNova likes this.
  2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Why do you have four motion sensors? Why not simply connect all the rail switches to one?

Also, damn, I wish I had remembered that the standard tram stop existed when I made my rail network. Oh well, the modded version is simpler anyway, and lets you call trams to the middle stop if necessary. Although, couldn't you get a tram to go to the middle stop in this one by activating all of the other stops with an additional unconnected (unconnected via rails, that is, the whole point of it is that it is connected to the other stops via wires) tram stop?

Marul likes this.
  3. Marul

Marul Void-Bound Voyager

You are right, you don't need 4 sensors and in the video and i decided to just make it with one sensor. I did put with 4 to just make sure it will detect you! As long it detect and you have put it in a nice spot, you're good to go! xD

I didn't want it to make it stop at the middle when you call the elevator but to make me stop there only when i use the elevator. Also you got the idea if you want a extra one to stop there! If you want it stop at the middle when you call the elevator, just make one extra button to open all the rail switchs and do not connect the button at the rail stop.

The point of the rail stop at the middle is to force you to stop there when you use the elevator and because it just have one input, making you able to easily use the rail switchs with just one block after the rail stop which is also makes easily to cut the wire connection with the other paths. I couldn't get it to work with Rail Tram Stop because it have 2 inputs and 1 output occupying 3 blocks vertically.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, that's the issue I ran into. I eventually did some modding to get a version of the rail tram stop that didn't block wiring objects in the spaces above and below it.