1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Different Character Same Place

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by companioncube75, Apr 12, 2015.

1. companioncube75

companioncube75 Starship Captain

I keep making new characters, yet always end up in the same place, Which really irks me. I'm trying to have a fresh start, yet keep ending up on the same world. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Delete the files in your universe folder to make it regenerate

3. companioncube75

On second thought, I'm just doing the simple thing and uninstalling/reinstalling. What I don't get it why someone would add this without adding an option to change it...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  4. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thats actully the least simple thing to do.Takes awhile to reinstall,but if you just go into your files and delete the universe folder it will just regen the universe while the game is loading,much faster.

5. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Its a intendeed new feature. Theres plenty of people that like it, there seems to be a equal amount of people that hate it.

FloomRide likes this.
  6. companioncube75

If I delete it, will It regenerate once I make a new world?

7. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

^Yes.
    Just delete the universe folder, and the game will have to generate a new one.
    You might end up at the same world, but at least it will be a clean slate.

8. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

I think there should be an option for it instead of making it that way for everyone.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  9. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

I think you just have to delete universe.dat inside of the giraffe_storage file, I think that might work... (YOUR STEAM FOLDER\SteamApps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage)
    Try it, see if that works. Older stable version had a configuration line that would allow you to NOT have a default world, all characters would spawn in random planets (that fitted the "starter planet" conditions), hopefully this will come back soon.

nimmerland likes this.
  10. nimmerland

nimmerland Existential Complex

danks_ and CharBulbSquirt like this.
  11. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

Indeed, thank you for pointing that out, totally slipped my mind.

Also note: if universe.dat is removed, existing characters will remain in the planet they are located, but new characters might possibly be spawned in another place, and since you are not deleting the entire universe, all your other planets will remain as they are.

Have fun!