1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Didnt expected Chucklefish to be so incompetent!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ApRobo, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ApRobo

ApRobo Subatomic Cosmonaut

the game is out of ea now so people should expect that bugs and stuff got fixed for its final release but nope.
    same rain bug shit still in the game for a example.

the best thing...i played in sp mode. build a city and stuff with a own teleporter, farm, shop ect. and was expanding it little by little with hours of work.
    just for the teleporter and of course the bookmakrs all got deleted because i entered the multiplayer mode/ a server with the char for 10 minutes?! to see how stable online is and if the map reloading bug is still in the game (of course it is).

so, everything i have done is lost now(started on a unknown planet when i entered sp again) because of...you, chucklefish.
    thank you...really. thats the way to go for a finished game...this game was supposed for me to have a relaxed time and now i am just pissed.

did you even tried to fix certain issues during the fucking beta or do you just pumped out new content on top of broken shit?

you guys are fucking incompetent!

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I know it's frustrating to run into these sorts of issues, but please keep it civil.

bearffalo, bananastealth and leonD like this.
  3. ApRobo

these sorts of issues? so there are more gamebreaking things which customers might affect?

is the described thing a known issue? i doubt i am the first one who got fucked up this way.
    and when its a known issues..why do they allow me to go into the mp mode with sp char in the first place?
    it should be then locked out of it or at least give a warning so that i can decide by myself if i am ok with the loss or not.

4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That is the kind of bug that wouldn't be experienced often, so it is easy to see how it wasn't detected.

bananastealth likes this.
  5. ApRobo

joining a mp server with a char you used in sp mode seems to be a commong thing to do.
    so you tell me i am the first one to report this kind of behaviour?

based on a reply in the steam forum it sounds more like a common known issue.

6. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I never heard of this one in your case too and i'm nearly every day in the support forums for several hours. Do you still have the starbound.log of the session when it happened? I'd like to take a look onto that. Also can you provide your player file AND the universe.dat? I'd like to compare the stored uuid's in both files.

~ Iris ~

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Bugs are easily solved if they happen 100% of the time.
    In such a case you know exactly what to look for.

Though if it happens once in a blue moon - to an individual - it is much more harder to nail down the issue.
    If the issue was common - there would be hundreds of bug reports.

Problem with people is lack of perception - people will never complain if it is working - only if it is not.
    After all who is going to make a thread, "Book marks do not get deleted when shifting between MP and SP"
    So it is only obvious people who have the issue with join together, so it gives a false impression it is common.

Imagine a hospital that treats retinal cancer..
    You walk in and see a 100 patients inside. By looking only at the hospital - you can make a claim it is common. Only after you look at the entire population you will see it is not so much.

It is still a bug no doubt.
    Though finding the cause and fixing it will only happen if people provide the necessary files and information to help find the cause. Simply complaining helps no one.

Shadencile and Phreazerburn like this.
  8. ApRobo

@Iris blanch
    so you tell me i am that special snowflake which got the issue the first time.
    i will provide you with the files via conversation.

@The suit
    even when it happens one of 100 times its a issue which at least should be mentioned.
    a simple text file with a warning that it might happen when you want to enter mp mode with a sp char
    and that i should backup my files would be enough till said fix might be done.

9. Iris Blanche

@ApRobo I answered you via pm. Btw when tagging people with the @ you should use the right names x) You tagged another Iris that is not me >v<

As for the others who are reading this: This issue is not caused by starbound directly because files got corrupted (even the log which is extreme uncommon). I highly assume it was caused by a write failure on the drive. So switching between sp and mp doesn't cause this.

~ Iris ~

10. ApRobo

11. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Though the question's been answered, I still can't use my warps (not even to the ark) when joining someone for multiplayer, is that related at all?

12. The | Suit

If you join some one else's server - you are using their universe.
    If they join yours - you are using yours.

Both are separate

Shadencile likes this.
  13. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

That's... really inconvenient. Will there ever be a fix for this?

14. The | Suit

That isn't a bug - it just a practical issue.
    If you built on a planet - and they built on the same planet - on their universe.
    How is it possible both planets exist in the same place at same time?

It is a physical impossibility.

15. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

This sincerely.
    It's kinda logical, really?

On the other hand, this IS sort of why you carry your ship between universes however, and why some people even put some colony deeds on their ships as a result so they can bring those colonists with them even in multiplayer.

16. ApRobo

another question which might be related.

i had to replace my colony deeds and the cow didnt gave milk to me anymore and i had to replant all my seeds for it to grow, which in itself is something i can deal with, but....

on the outpost are two shops closed now.
    i finished the hunt mission with the spider a few minutes ago so i am not sure if thats supposed to happen after i beat the mission or if the game think i didnt finished the first mining mission and thats why they are closed.

the animal/farm shop and the colony stuff shop.

17. Iris Blanche

Since you have a new universe.dat you'll have to unlock the outpost states again. The Tele2Shop, Frögg and Terramart unlocks after the EMF mission. You'll have to redo this mission or use
    Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission1
    The link i provided in the PM before has somewhere all flags with explaination listed ;)
    As for the farm animals don't giving products anymore...there is somewhere a topic about this issue (and afaik it still needs to be fixed). The tenant gifts are also affected by it somehow.

~ Iris ~

The | Suit likes this.
  18. ApRobo

a, havent seen it.
    thx again ms iris.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  19. Iris Blanche

You're welcome. But please...only iris not ms iris. ^^'

~ Iris ~

ApRobo likes this.
  20. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Fun fact: Developers are not, despite the fan worship and occasional sacrificial offering of goats, omnipotent gods that are able to detect and smite every single bug in their game before release. I mean look at some of the garbage AAA game devs with a whole huge studio backing them toss out and then have to day 1 patch multiple times. It does not mean they are incompotent. There are a variety of reasons they may not have fixed [insert bug here].

If you experience a bug, perhaps report it, preferably without the being a dick about it part, as that makes people not like you, and being liked is usually a good thing. It's possible that the devs haven't seen it due to the many, many places that bug reports are scattered around and subsequently buried. Be descriptive. For example "rain bug" is not very helpful unless it's an already well-known bug, and even then, it's best to include as much detail as possible in case your post on the issue happens to be the one the devs see. That way, they don't have to go sifting around to find actual information on it.
    Another possibility is that fixing something is not worth the time to gain ratio, either due to needing a lot more code rework than one would imagine, or due to the issue being barely noticable in rare circumstances, and will therefore be saved for a later date while more important things are fixed and worked on.

If the bug has serious implications, you can look on the forums for help, as I see you've gotten. There are many cases where forumgoers will be able to help you temporarily fix or work around an issue before the devs have a chance to get at it. If not, then perhaps take a break and listen to some [insert music of choice here] to help yourself calm down before going to do something else while you wait for a fix. If something cannot be fixed, then there are three possibilities:
    A. The developers dun goofed.
    B. You dun goofed.
    C. Other. [please specify]
    In any of these cases, the responsible party should probably feel silly for the mistake, and apologize to those affected, while trying to salvage what they can of the situation.
    Remember, every mistake is a learning experience!

This has been a pre-programmed, pre-typed, pre-edited message.
    If you are unsatisfied with the contents of this message, click here to move to our unpatented customer neglect support page.
    If you would like me to repeat this message, click here.