Modding Help dialogue .yaml cutting off when repacked?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ektobiologist, Jun 21, 2017.

1. ektobiologist

ektobiologist Big Damn Hero

i am at my wit's end! i've been working on beefing up some dialogue files by quite a bit (combining a few different dialogue mods out there for the same character because i'm That Person), but whenever i repack them into .xml files and then unpack them again to check that everything went all right, the files cut off about a quarter of the way through! doesn't matter if it's 200 or 400 lines - it cuts off at about line 74 or 170-something regardless.

i tried running the files in the game anyway to see if it was just the re-unpacking that got it all wonky, but i keep running into dialogue loops and other errors where player responses or further dialogue has gone missing!

i know i must be doing something wrong, but i just can't figure out what! anyone out there got any ideas?

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

You're most likely running into notepadd++ formatting errors.

The most common being the use of tabs instead of spaces.
      Make sure the white space before the line is filled by spaces instead of tabs.

If this doesn't solve the issue, it is likely another formatting error.

• ektobiologist

ektobiologist Big Damn Hero

augh, i think you're right, i just wish i knew what it was! to be double sure i went back and manually redid all the indents to make sure they were spaces, and i think that saved some lines, but unfortunately it's still getting cut off in a similar place.

edit: nvm, i fixed it! it was definitely a formatting error combined with a few newbie mistakes. thanks, @RTGOAT you're a lifesaver!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017