1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Dev's Broke Their Novakid Promise.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Phaetum, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Aliencommander

Aliencommander Void-Bound Voyager

Care to share which ones? There's a fan made contest winning short story about a hylotl who gets drunk after drikning novakid acohol but nothing else as far as the wiki shows?

Novakids have the same level of story presence as bear people, froggs or fennerox outside of being playable right now

2. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Funny, I've only seen one, which is basically "I found some primitives that refuse to be enlightened by the great Hylotl way of peace, also they suck at tea ceremonies".
    Still, I stand corrected; they're indeed mentioned by name 4 times in that one codex entry.

Perhaps the patch actually makes them into something more than a codex entry, a ship, and some character models. Most likely it will just be some furniture...
    http://starbounder.org/Never_Invite_a_Novakid_to_Tea
    That's the story mentioned. And I agree, they're playable, which makes them only marginally better than the various npc races wich aren't.

Anuril likes this.
  3. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

This thread is frustrating to read, as a lot of the discussion just boils down to arguing over something that doesn't matter. Who cares whether or not it could be considered that the Novakids are 'fully integrated' into the lore. The point is that they need more inclusion into the lore and the game itself. There are only a few codexes mentioning them, they have no presence in the main story, and you can't even find any Novakid settlements. This doesn't sound like 'fully integrated' to me but it doesn't even matter whether or not they are fully integrated, because it's not enough.

Of course the video posted shows that the Novakid settlements are coming soon, at least, but even then it's clear that they've been given less attention then the other races.

Hurgablurg, DesVoeux, Phaetum and 3 others like this.
  4. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Discussion here kinda boils down to someone bringing their car in for repairs cause their windshield and motor broke then the mechanic gives it back with a broken motor and the discussion is like "but I asked for you to fix my car!" With the mechanic replying"yeah but I fixed it, you never said fix everything".

It's just like said before you can jumble around with words but it comes down to that the guys car still isn't really fantastic. Aka there needs a lot to be done to the novakids integration

Edit:stupid typos and stuff

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Pingeh likes this.
  5. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think I'd mind a settlement or a few, but considering that part of the idea of the Novakid is that they generally are interested on fixing things up for themselves, and not so much preserving their knowledge for others to learn from, I don't think I'd like to see a lot of new codices by Novakid. I don't even think Novakid should have a written language. I wouldn't mind seeing new codices written by other races regarding the Novakid. I hope they get that part right.

I'm not too concerned that Novakid are still being worked on. I never had the impression that they said they would be complete at release.

Ainzoal likes this.
  6. N155

N155 Void-Bound Voyager

Novakids is a rare form of life. And they has no settlements, governments or society. :X Useless space trash...

7. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

Uh, no? The OP made a claim of his opinion as fact. It is not fact. If he had just voiced his opinion, that would of been completely different. A more proper comparison would be someone who brings their car in for repair claiming something is broken, when it turns out to be working as intended. The driver just does not like the way it works, therefore he claims it is broken.

These words we have and use have meanings. They have meanings for a reason. Use them correctly or you run into issues like this.

Monario and Ainzoal like this.
  8. Phaetum

Phaetum Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is the point I've been trying to make. Yes they exist, but like it or not, no matter how much you throw tiny baby facts about their inclusion, and the fact that they are getting a new patch, ALL OF THAT still does not really include them in the main plotline, and there are people who are not happy about that, and that's really the point of the discussion! The new patch looks very nice and hopefully through some quests and codexes we will learn more, I'm happy about that.

I just don't see why it's so hard to accept that people don't like how dummed down the race is. If you don't love the Novakid as much then you just don't get it :p
    Also you're totally just blowing smoke man. I never said it was fact, I said that it's a fact that they made a promise, but I never said that my opinion is everyones opinion. I'm really just trying to say that I didn't like how little the Novakid were involved, and gave some suggestions. You keep trying to tell me what I think and I don't appreciate it because your wrong.

9. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

The thread title says they broke their promise. They did not. You "feel" they broke it, but it's been shown that's wrong. So it's not telling you what you think, you've already shown that.

So, yes, that thread title is you claiming your opinion as fact.

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This thread seems to be getting a bit too much arguing over semantics. You're free to discuss how you believe the Novakid should be implemented, but please refrain from letting things get heated.

11. Lintton

Lintton Guest

It has been announced they are adding novakd villages in stable soon, along with the already existing lore, shouldn't that do it for the OP? They might have a role in future missions, but the fact remains they do not have the keys that esther is looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  12. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

I just ended the game and got actually all the codexes in the universe and i have to say
    I never seen novakids in the lore
    They are not mentioned in the ruins
    And the codexes are just books what can mention novakids but never mention the lore or at least big parts of it
    Exept the Esther Bright Codex but whatever you get it at the end of the game

13. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that the problem here is that the Chucklefish Devs made the promise, but gave no hard goalposts as to how they were going to go about this. Strictly speaking the Novakids have been integrated into the Starbound lore, but only to the minimum extent necessary. They have no presence in the main plot unless you yourself place a Novakid there (as a PC,) and only cursory appearances in the lorebooks if you go out of your way to root out every last codex. The only notable one I know of has to do with the Hylotl lorebook that discusses one Hylotl's attempt to interact with the race.

It's natural to be dissatisfied with what the Devs have done given the levels of hype they've generated in the past, and even now.

14. Tentacle_Sashimi

Tentacle_Sashimi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Novakid Villages/Saloons and the Fishing mechanic have been in the Nightly Unstable build since Aug. 4th. They will be implemented in the Stable version soon. Not sure if the villages will have new codexs though, since I've been keeping play on the Stable build since 1.0

Ablekaine likes this.
  15. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

To say they are not part of the lore when there is at least one codex mentioning them is incorrect. Just sayin.

http://starbounder.org/Never_Invite_a_Novakid_to_Tea

You have a phantasmagorically valid point that the poor star farts are NOT very much included in the game however, I for one would love to see roaming Novakids or groups of Novakids implemented, but let's not forget, the Hylotl cities and structures didn't show up until full release, no? So if they were one of the original races and didn't get all their stuff added til full release, it seems only logical an ADDITIONAL race wouldn't have been done yet! Patience, then? :nuruwink:

imagesCA11O2KE.jpg

16. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

Sashimi dishin the deets. Oh ye of little faith! :nuruflirt:

17. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

lol... look, people assuming "being in lore" is exactly the same as "being in the game".

With that way of thinking, Warhammer 40k must have one of the worst lores in the world, along with The elder Scrolls, and hell, Dungeons and Dragons.

Lore is its own thing used to enhance the backstory of the game and its universe.

They delivered exactly what they promised. Novakid playable race, and lore. The lore may not be in game directly, but the lore is still there, whether you like it or not.

Ablekaine, TheFloranChef and Ainzoal like this.
  18. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

@Phaetum Consider the Novakids are a sole "Work in Progress"

The next major update will include Novakid villages, and from there on out hopefully everything else to make them like the other 6 races.

spongedog, Hurgablurg and Ainzoal like this.
  19. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I tend to agree with the disappointment, if not the outrage.

Novakid have no settlements in 1.0 and can't be encountered as NPC's except if you know what kind of furniture to concentrate in your colony. Only one codex entry pertains to them and apart from the Cultivator's final cryptic remarks you don't get anything else about them. They show up as a face on the Ancient Gate but certainly not as a flag on in the Protectorate. And you might say it's part of their schtick that they're fluid people who never commit to stuff but that's a weak argument given that a PC Novakid can become a protector. At the very least they could have referenced the Novakid PC as the FIRST Novakid Protector. That would have made sense.

I hope, however, that the devs will add more to the game about them in the future. I saw a YT video showing a nightly build with a Novakid village, so at the very least Starbound 1.1 will bring that.

Ablekaine and Colaymorak like this.