1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Dev's Broke Their Novakid Promise.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Phaetum, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Phaetum

Phaetum Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not trying to point fingers but I just have to say, I just finished the game and was absolutely flumoxed at the complete lack of Novakid involvement. The developers said this when they expressed their plans for their FIRST stretch goal, the Novakids:

"If we manage to hit $500,000 in pre-orders, this race will be added to the base game and will be playable upon release. They will also be fully integrated into the lore!"

They will also be fully integrated into the lore!

Well a lot of people got really excited, a lot of people invested their time in Novakid characters in the Beta and dreamed of the promise and the possibilities, like me. I expected their presence to be rare but noted, nomadic Novakids getting drunk in a camp, in the same way you can find human explorers, or a few random merchants wandering the galaxy with odd goods. They were such a great idea, and now they're practically nothing! No codexes, which I understand, they aren't a race good at keeping history, but one of them had to write something at some point, even just a grocery list! A forgetful race might need reminding, right? They do have the hunger mechanic, they aren't spared from that, they do buy and grow, and possibly sell food.

The Novakid don't appear in even a WHISPER of the plotline, they are 100% NOT integrated into the lore, they have one codex saying how hard they are to have tea with, WOW. So they exist, and are out there, like us, and they are smart enough for one of us to want to join the Protectorate, so give them some love! It was a promise, people payed for it an wanted it and expected it, and it isn't here.

So... yeah... obviously got a bit frustrated, hope this doesn't come out too angry, I just really love them...

EDIT: So I kinda got hasty and upset for some reason and wrote this a bit more heated then I should have xD but after seeing the content coming up I'm very happy about the additional content. I still think it would have been nice for the Novakid to be a bigger part of the main plotline, but I guess we can't have everything :p either way, being able to see my people out in the universe makes me overjoyed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Novakods have lore that is pertaining to them...and they are working on adding more content. where they fit in the whole races bit is still something people want to know, and is of importance.

3. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

Yes they are, you simply don't LIKE the way they did it.

4. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

1. It's rude to tell people what they think or don't think, it can make discussion devolve into personal scraps.

2. If they did implement them into the lore, where's all that stuff at, then?

I played the game more than once in it's full form and I've NEVER found /ANY/ Novakids, nor ANY codexes. I don't even think such things exist.

It's either a serious case of my RNGesus hating novakids, or they just don't have a presence yet save for the lone Novakid PC and bartenders for colonies. How exactly is that 'being implemented into the lore'? Mind telling me how they are? I haven't seen anything.. so if I've missed something I'd love to know what it was that I missed.

5. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

But you see, that's how some people react. Something is done, but because someone doesn't like the way it was done, they call it out as not being done. If I had not of seen it happen with pretty much every game i've ever played, i'd likely not say what I did. But it does happen.

It's talked about in the ending. "Fully integrated into the lore" does not mean having settlements like every other race. It also doesn't mean they have the same presence as other races. It simply means they have their place in the lore, which they do. Even the main starbound page explains that they're still a mystery to the other races. As for Codex entries, the intro to the race also explains that.

6. Phaetum

How is something being done when it isn't there. They said FULLY integrated into the LORE. I would be thrilled if this was a future update, yes, but at the moment nothings being mentioned about it, and the whole plotline is already over. They never said a single thing about it in the actual lore of the PLOT. Maybe there's random codex mentioning their existence, but that's really absolutely nothing especially if you consider a lot of players don't care about reading their codex, and games need to be tooled towards a large player group. They exist and yet we never see one. That isn't 'done' at all, that's complete absence.

EDIT: Also consider not everyone played Beta, or watched for the game. Some people watched the trailer when it came out and bought it. Those people are probably like 'What the heck is a Novakid?' and not getting a lot of information. They have to research online and look at the fact that there's nothing, just an unfulfilled promise.

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, they also have another bit apart from being bad tea invitees, namely,
    They are the fragnemts of the Cultivator

Ablekaine and Failbird105 like this.
  8. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

Again, they are explained in the ending. Fully does not mean the same as other races. It does not mean they have settlements as common as the other races. It does not mean they have codexes as common as the other races. It simply means they are included in the lore the way CF wanted them to be.

And if people don't want to read information provided, that's their problem, not the dev's. It's fine if you dislike the way they did it, but that does not mean they didn't do it.

9. Phaetum

The tenant doesn't bring that much lore but yes he's there. But some people don't care about tenants, or can't find the saloon set because they just don't check the frogg enough. These are common problems. This lighthearted game I doubt is made entirely for the elitists, and it wouldn't be too much to ask for a little more presence. I'm not saying they need settlements, I never said the word settlements. But they do have needs and they might have to interact with other races to fullfill them, that's why I mentioned hunger. Would it be too outside of their lore to have a random merchant Novakid hanging around rarely? All the other races have them, merchants are nomadic by nature it would make sense if they did that. You could buy interesting brews from them, and it would be a tiny insight into their personalities. I just think for a playable race it's amazing they have less content and furniture then is given to most biomes.

EDIT: Also, Ispano, you don't have to like my opinion either, and I don't have to like things about this game, but trying to tell me how I think about it is not helping your point at all. If you had a reason why the things I'm complaining about are more fun then the proposals I'm making, feel free to explain.

10. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

My only point was that your post is misleading. They did include them, you're just not satisfied with how. But to say they didn't do what they said they would, is simply wrong.

Also, about the furniture and whatnot. That's actually coming. But that doesn't have anything to do with being integrated into the lore.

11. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Novakids do have a place in the lore. They just don't really have a role in the main optional conflict. The two are vastly different things. So I am sorry OP but you are completely incorrect

lazarus78 and N155 like this.
  12. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

...You do realize they're actually working on adding Novakid structures and probably codexes, right?
    There was a list of stuff being added a week or so ago. No images yet, but files.

Playable on release they are, but the rest of the racial stuff is low priority right now as they were a stretch goal and not "primary content." Hence their late introduction into the beta as well.
    They are in the lore. Not fully integrated yet (notice this comes after the full stop above. Grammar would suggest this was not intended to be considered part of the "upon release" segment. Misleading? Maybe. Intentionally? I doubt it.) but the devs are almost certainly going to work on it.

I mean don't expect too much, seeing as what they did to the rest of the lore, but hey, it's something.

I see no broken promises, only misreading what was said.

Hurgablurg, ladyKAE and Ainzoal like this.
  13. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

They are already in the Nightly. Check this video:

Yoseiri likes this.
  14. Phaetum

Yeah I'm not trying to slam on them I just felt like they could have had more part in the lore of the game, not just the past in general. All everyones saying may be true, but it's still lacking and I don't like how it is so yeah, that's what the post is about :p I'm very happy to see that changes will be made, that's really all I wanted, and the post really was just me trying to say 'Hey, some people are really passionate about Novakid and wish they had a bigger role, cuz right now they don't have much of any."

I haven't seen it, instead of just saying 'your wrong' please provide your proof, I've looked and haven't found, so if it's so easy please show me what you mean.

EDIT: Making sure you understand, I'm asking for IN-GAME lore, not the Beta lore that's not existent at the moment, if it's so prevelent I want to know how I'm missing it in the current version.

spongedog likes this.
  15. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

And yet people have already told you where. In the game no less.

spongedog and Ainzoal like this.
  16. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

The novakid does comment on how they are not included in the races that were given artifacts when you inspect the holograms. They seems to not care about it so much either way.

Ainzoal likes this.
  17. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel like not enough people caught on to this...

Kinda sad. (Also annoying.)

Hurgablurg and Anuril like this.
  18. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Right, this whole "but they totally are, you just don't see it" bullshit is getting quite annoying.

A possible hint at the very end of the game that they might be fragments of that pathetic dead god thing is not, under any circumstance, inclusion in the lore. Unless they're mentioned by name multiple times throughout the game, they might as well be a damn mod race.

Anuril, DesVoeux, foxtails and 2 others like this.
  19. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

And yet, that's all it takes to "include" them in the lore, especially considering the story behind them. They included them in some fashion. That's all it takes to meet the requirement of being in the lore. In fact, them being the remnants is a pretty big thing when you consider the story overall. Even if it seems like something small.

The point is that they did. You don't like how or how little, but they did. If you want to argue it wasn't enough, go for it, that's something else. But to claim they didn't at all, is simply wrong. You never stop to think thaat maybe the devs did it intetionally. You never stop to think that the lore is not finished, primarily because more will be added with updates. Not to mention what Shaadaris posted earlier, talking about grammar. He's right you know.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Hurgablurg and Ainzoal like this.
  20. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

There are several text logs mentioning Novakids one stands out in the Hylotl mission. So no you're still wrong buddy.

Hurgablurg likes this.