Digital Desi Draws - Starbound & Such

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by desbro, Mar 16, 2016.

1. desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oops, guess who isn't dead again and has also been playing heaps of this game.

It me.

Anyways, I am back and have - after much perusing of custom race mods - decided to take my species in a less space animal direction and err more on the side of humanoid alien because there doesn't seem to be nearly enough of those.

Let me just preface by saying, visually these guys are gonna be very similar to the Tharks from John Carter because I LOVED their character design. You'll see it a lot more in the earlier concept work, I'll wager, but I'll eventually find a balance of Thark and Fragment as I dream them up a bit more.

[​IMG]

I am already dreaming up conflicts within their race and it is good. They'll share the same tendril style hair I originally came up with (that senses barometric changes) but with a few twists.

There's a split down the middle of their people, and for the sake of defining the factions without any concept of real names right now we'll call them The Traditionalists and The New Agers.
    Traditionalists tend to dress themselves more in the tribal style of their people, practice outdated customs in worship to The Architect, keep their 'hair' long and coiled per tradition and don't like the diplomatic nature of the colonization methods of their government. Government I believe I've nailed down as an Oligarchy. At any rate, they believe they dishonour their roots by not behaving in a warring and babaric way (they were largely a violent people before the Age of Enlightenment, during which the large portion of their scientific and quality of life evolution was done.)

The New Agers very often do not adhere to the traditions of their past, and in this age of space travel, feel the nature of their tendrils is more of a vestigial thing they'll eventually evolve out of, so a number of them have had them either removed entirely, or keep them exceptionally short and sealed.

Things I've taken from the movie (admittedly, I have never read the books, so this is just largely based off of things I saw in the movie itself.)
    I like the idea of a traditional 'it takes a village' and 'for the horde' spawning ground idea in that prior to Enlightenment couples would conceive, but the eggs were all collected and left en masse at the spawning grounds to hatch so that no one family could develop familial allegiances that would jeopardize the single unit mentality of their tribe. I believe the Tradtionalists are likely pushing to have that law reinstated but these days, there are proper family units, or multiple merged family units that share the burden of raising the wee grubs to maturity (in a less barbaric version of the former practice. May tie into polygamy being something regarded with little bias and more as a 'it's a choice' sort of deal socially.)

[​IMG]
    Also, you can't tell me that that little bugger doesn't look a lot like the weird frog pup from the movies. Racial pet? Maybe.​

2. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

Welcome back! :DD

Alkanthe likes this.
  3. desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I started playing through the Elithian Races mod by @Aegonian and man, I just love the immersion and the style and general concept, so I've been doodling my rendition of the Avikan race.

I'm a little hesitant to post because I always worry about what the creator imagines, versus what I see, and since there isn't a GREAT deal on their physiology I just sort of... took some creative liberty to help make sense of their features myself. I get distinct vestigial amphibious/lizard alien vibes from them, so that was my main influence (I can't do the simplified style I've seen most of the very FEW pieces of fanart in, I'm too much of a nitty gritty detailhound.)

But anyways, this is Bahaar as-Vhalani, grizzled space bro with too many stupid crewmates to keep track of and forever in need of a drink:

[​IMG]
    I have a few more I may post in the future, but for now, just this quickie doodle.​

Never, MangoPhD, PinkieCube and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I must say, this is some pretty impressive artwork. Definitely eager to see where your custom race goes.