1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Default starbound.config Binds

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Createse, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes (please elaborate in a new post)

85.7%
  2. No (please elaborate in a new post)

14.3%
  3. Potentially (please elaborate in a new post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Createse

Createse Big Damn Hero

I believe Starbound changed it's default behaviour regarding addresses it chooses to listen for: gameServerBind, queryServerBind, and rconServerBind are using the IPv6 protocol. If you change gameServerBind from a set of colons, and to an asterisk '*' the game will listen for clients on ALL addresses using the IPv4 protocol. The asterisk wildcard is subjective and it's behaviour is defined by Chucklefish. FYI I am unsure if using address blocks (192.168.0.0/24) will work.

Listen for IPv6 localhost only (same as 127.0.0.1 for IPv4)
    For clients connecting from the server, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "::1"

Listen for IPv4 localhost only (same as ::1 for IPv6)
    For clients connecting from the server, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "127.0.0.1"

Listen for IPv4 Local Area Network (LAN) only
    For clients connecting from any computer on your network, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "10.0.0.2"
          -or-
    "gameServerBind" : "172.16.0.3"
          -or-
    "gameServerBind" : "192.168.0.4"

Listen for IPv4 Wide Area Network (WAN) only
    For clients connecting from any computer on the internet, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "185.57.191.2"

Listen for ALL, IPv6 (same as 0.0.0.0 for IPv4)
    For clients connecting from any computer anywhere, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "::"

Listen for ALL, IPv4 only* (same as 0.0.0.0)
    For clients connecting from any computer anywhere, to the server.
    Code:
    "gameServerBind" : "*"

* for now; it's behaviour is defined by Chucklefish.

[DOUBLEPOST=1434216682][/DOUBLEPOST]Loosely related:
    • sbboot.config is the new default_starbound.config. When starbound.config can't be found a new one is created and is populated from sbboot.config.
    • Port numbers specified in the configuration files refer to the port number the server is listening on for inbound connections from clients.
    • Clients can send their network packets from any port (which can be seen in the server console when a connection is received) but can only send them to an inbound port specified in the host's starbound.config-file.
    • You need only port-forward the inbound traffic as firewalls usually allow outbound traffic by default.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    danks_ likes this.
  2. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for this info :)

The latest nighlty build has the first config by default, so i was having issues there.

Createse likes this.
  3. Createse

Createse Big Damn Hero

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thank you. It's only the nightly that has this configuration by default; the predecessors listen on all addresses by default.

4. Thomas25181

Thomas25181 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you so much i have been trying to make me admin then i wasn't even able to join my server after an update but this helped me get back on thank you!

Createse likes this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Easiest, most hassle free setting is just use * or your computers local address. Anything else is really unnecessary. The router is doing the forwarding, not the game, so you just need to get it to look for connections from the physical server's network interface.

6. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

This depends if you are using a wrapper and what kind of wrapper you are using, some wrappers work as a proxy, so not allowing people to directly communicate to the server by binding to local IP could be useful in some cases.

Of course, using "*" is what most people should be doing, especially if they are just hosting a small server.

This was a really neat find and very well explained, thanks Createse

7. Createse

Createse Big Damn Hero

Happy to help =). Thank you for the feedback.

8. AcuriousPotato

AcuriousPotato Aquatic Astronaut

Can I get a tiny help for "rconServerTimeout" and "maxFrameSkip" ? what happens if I change them?

9. Createse

Createse Big Damn Hero

rconServerTimeout probably controls how long your authenticated remote control session stays active while you're not actively using it. Having never used the remote control feature of the Starbound Server I can only speculate. This has no effect on the client AFAIK.
    See here, here, and here for more details on RCON.

maxFrameSkip controls how many frames the starbound client is allowed to skip regarding graphics on-screen. This has no effect on the server AFAIK.
    See here, and here for more details on frame skipping.

10. Createse

Createse Big Damn Hero

Update: '::' is the same as '0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000' and '0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0'. '::1' is localhost.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015